Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing a light bulb
Ninehigh

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Changing a light bulb

What are them light fittings called that are in most houses? The ones that dangle from a cord in the middle of the room? Are they available in gu10 fittings?

balidey

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
pendant ?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

greglogan

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
they're called pendants. But why would you want it in gu10? They're not known for being the best lamps.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

blakep82

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
bayonet?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

slingshot2000

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bayonet cap (BC), nothing like a GU10 fitting!
Ninehigh

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just thinking of fitting energy saving lights without blowing that saving on fitting other kinds of, well fittings. But a replacement pendant is a 2 minute job... Missus's desk lamp has a led gu10 bulb and it's alright

norfolkluego

posted on 25/4/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Get some candles, they'll be brighter

and probably cheaper
and probably environmentally better

Liam

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
If you're gonna dangle a single GU10 in the middle of a room, may as well just gaffer tape a torch to the ceiling. Same result - a dark room with a pool of light on the floor!

Why not just use a normal bayonet/ES pendant and fit an energy saving bulb to it? You can get 100W equivalent ones that are OK (though I'd hesitate to say equivalent to an old 100W bulb). Depends how big the room is really.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
I do use energy saving bulbs, I was just thinking that you can get 3 or 4 watt (as opposed to 15 or 60) ones. It was worth asking really..

Liam

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
The 3 - 4W bulbs are LED as opposed to flourescent. Yes they are even more efficient but the amount of light is much less too. A decent 4W LED GU10 is roughly equivalent to a 35W halogen GU10 (or an 8-ish W flourescent GU10 or thereabouts). One on a pendant would not adequately light an average size room. I've got 5 downlights in the bathroom each fitted with a 4W LED and the room is very well lit. In the two bedrooms and lounge we have fan light fittings that have three GU10s, and these are fitted with 5W LEDs which dont quite do the job of the standard 50W halogens but are perfectly adequate. If you're already using compact flourescent energy savers, you wont save much more money switching to LEDs.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 26/4/11 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
I did find these that appear to be alright.

I also found this calculator which shows just how much you can save. Tell you what if you still use them old bulbs (which some in our house are) there's a packet to be saved.

But yeah the difference between 5x11w bulbs and 5x5w bulbs is about £1.50 a month

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/4/11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I will hold the lamp and you turn the room........

Im an electrical bod and I hate these low energy supposed to be good for the environment lamps.

The energy to make them and the c**p put in them is scary.....mercury and other such nastys.

All to get a dim light that harks back to candles and we call this progress ......replacing fittings that are perfectly serviceable all in the name of energy saving.... these all used energy to make them ect

like bombing for peace great idea.

AndyW

posted on 26/4/11 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

Im an electrical bod and I hate these low energy supposed to be good for the environment lamps.

The energy to make them and the c**p put in them is scary.....mercury and other such nastys.

All to get a dim light that harks back to candles and we call this progress ......replacing fittings that are perfectly serviceable all in the name of energy saving.... these all used energy to make them ect

I totally agree, Ive heard about the nasty stuff in these energy saving bulbs. And as you say, why replace a perfectly good light with another, thus creating more electrical waste.

I really dont thing we will change the world by using "energy efficient" bulbs.

Just my opinion

Miks15

posted on 26/4/11 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
same point it annoys me when they call electric cars zero emmisions. Yeh ok it might be when its driving along. But what about all the emmisions from the power plant when the electricity for the car is being generated. Granted itd probably still be less per mile but why not just say that instead of saying its zero emmisions. Annoys me everytime i see it.
Liam

posted on 26/4/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Nasty stuff like mercury, etc has been banned in RoHS compliant energy saving bulbs (i.e. decent ones - cheap chinese imports who knows?) for years. I dont think there's anything nasty in LED bulbs anyway. To the OP - yeah there are LED replacements for standard BC/ES fittings available. If you think an old 60W bulb would light the room in question adequately give those a whirl (bearing in mind that 60W equivalence will be generous to say the least in my experience).
slingshot2000

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

I totally agree, Ive heard about the nasty stuff in these energy saving bulbs. And as you say, why replace a perfectly good light with another, thus creating more electrical waste.

I really dont thing we will change the world by using "energy efficient" bulbs.

Just my opinion

I am in total agreement with what these to sensible chaps said above !!

Regards
Jon
(I am also an electrical bod)

slingshot2000

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
same point it annoys me when they call electric cars zero emmisions. Yeh ok it might be when its driving along. But what about all the emmisions from the power plant when the electricity for the car is being generated. Granted itd probably still be less per mile but why not just say that instead of saying its zero emmisions. Annoys me everytime i see it.

I also agree fully with this!

And. . . . . . . . . when is somebody going to calculate the losses involved in the transmission of the electicity from the power station to the charger, the losses in the charging of the battery and include these in the figures for the car ??

Regards
Jon

blakep82

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

And. . . . . . . . . when is somebody going to calculate the losses involved in the transmission of the electicity from the power station to the charger, the losses in the charging of the battery and include these in the figures for the car ??

Regards
Jon

hmm, and these hybrids, you don't get energy for nothing, so to use a petrol engine to generate electric, you must be losing some power output from the engine to charge the batteries. plus some power loss through heat, sound etc (both ways) surely you're better off with just the engine?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

norfolkluego

posted on 28/4/11 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

Regards
Jon

hmm, and these hybrids, you don't get energy for nothing, so to use a petrol engine to generate electric, you must be losing some power output from the engine to charge the batteries. plus some power loss through heat, sound etc (both ways) surely you're better off with just the engine?

Er.... chaps, you're not supposed to mention that kind of suff, might frighten the general public into questioning some of the things that are 'fact', you can't question it (it's a bit like religion)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.