Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust manifold design
beaver34

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust manifold design

Hi all,

Looking at making a turbo manifold for my car, wanting any helpful tips from builders on here and where they get the bends from etc... Also collectors how do people fab that or just buy a ready made item?

Thanks

beaver34

posted on 27/4/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
anyone?
michael92

posted on 4/5/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hey! Erm as for tips , renember to make the flanges thick!! They get rather hot! And bear in mind that that it will move from the heat quite a bit. If I renember correct some people like to put slip joints in the primary pipes.to accommodate the movement. What engine is it for? And for parts there is a good company on eBay that are reasonable, I'll get the link for you later when I'm not a work

Michael

Rallye_Mark

posted on 4/5/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Beaver,

I've just built a Turbo manifold for my Volvo turbo engine.

I did a lot of planning and research into how to make it and the design etc depends on your power goals and so on.

My build thread is http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=154520

I'm aiming to run up to 250bhp at about 1bar of boost and played with many ideas ranging from the basic LOG style manifold to the equal length header design. After reading literally hundreds of build threads on all kinds of car forums from all over the world, they basically said if you want to build it easily, cheap and running below crazy horsepower then make a LOG style manifold.

These types of manifold are nice and compact, produce quick spooling of the turbo, easy to make even if your an amateur builder if you take your time with it. I was adamant that I was going to build an equal length manifold as everyone says "in theory they are better..." but to be honest your not going to notice much difference in the real world.

I built mine below:-

For about £120 and that was more expensive than I was hoping for. Since the flange design was quite rare the only place I could buy one was the States, so after getting it ordered and then getting stung for shipping TAX they were about £100, then say about £20 for the piping which I got from a place that makes railings etc. Mine were 42.4mm OD and a nice thick wall which I think was 3mm or something like that.

Tips for building:-

1) Use a thick flange
Mine was 12mm thick and the heat from the welding has pulled cylinders 2 and 3 out by about 1mm, no big deal as it can be sanded down later.

2) Plan out how you are going to route the pipework

3) Think about how everything is going to connect to your turbo, Air intake and Air output, exhaust output, Oil in and Out, Water in and out if relevant, Wastegate and actuator position if running a standard internal wastegate. I for example turned my turbo round so the exhaust faces towards the front of the car before coming back on itself like below:-

4) Make sure you can access all of the bolts in your design, head bolts and turbo flange bolts.

5) Depending on your turbo type, the orientation of the Oil in and out. Mine has a water in and out and the oil in must be on top to lubricate the bearing and shaft etc.

6) If in doubt ask someone.

As I say I've not done it before and I made one up in the course of an afternoon really. Just plan it out, take your time and tack things in place until your happy with it.

I'm no expert but I've built one before, I've probably overlooked some things I should have added above, but if you want to know any more I'll try and answer them the best I can.

Cheers Mark

beaver34

posted on 4/5/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

Mark I read yours the other day seems to look well, I like you had/have my heart set on equal length unit and all that, how much difference do you think it will make from a normal log style like your to an equal length unit? Is it less of a difference on turbos than n/a engines?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.