Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx12 wiring question...
twybrow

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
zx12 wiring question...

I think I have my loom fully stripped and labelled ready to go into the car. The only issue is I have two wires that I cant figure what they do (2001 A1 ZX12r by the way)...

The first is the black/blue wire that goes to the clocks. It appears to be a dedicated separate earth for the clocks, but I could be way off...!

The second is the white wire that connect to one of the rectifier yellow wires. It then goes through a connector and turns into a yellow wire and runs to the fuse box. It appears to be something to do with the starter circuit, but I want to be sure I dont need it!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Kawasaki%20ZX12R%20[compleet].JPG

[Edited on 27/4/11 by twybrow]

Peteff

posted on 27/4/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Blue black is for the radiator fan usually. The white sounds like the power to the main fuse and starter relay, it carries 12v power to everything on the bike loom. Black with blue trace should be speedo and rev counter earth.

[Edited on 27/4/11 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

twybrow

posted on 28/4/11 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Blue black is for the radiator fan usually. The white sounds like the power to the main fuse and starter relay, it carries 12v power to everything on the bike loom. Black with blue trace should be speedo and rev counter earth.

[Edited on 27/4/11 by Peteff]

Wrong wires Pete... I have found all of the fan wiring, and it doesn't run to the clocks! They are on a dedicated sub-loom that is fixed to the top of the lump, and then to the fuse box.

The white main supply wire you talk of is also easily identifiable and has been traced (it splits a few times). The wire I am referring to goes into the fuse box. It is the only yellow wire coming out of the fuse box (see the wiring diagram at the link above). On the diagram, now I look again, it appears to be part of the turn signal/relay.... But I cant figure why that is!?

rf900rush

posted on 28/4/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
The white wire looks like the Switched (ign) 12v line.

Double check the connetion to the yellow wires as the drawing shows then supplying the regulator not the alternator.
Although the may pass close to them.

The black/blue goes to chaasis and the speed sensor.
This may well be a ground wire for the speed sensor to reduce signal noise for the sensor.
Best option may be to do the same on yor kit.

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 28/4/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
The white wire looks like the Switched (ign) 12v line.

Double check the connetion to the yellow wires as the drawing shows then supplying the regulator not the alternator.
Although the may pass close to them.

The black/blue goes to chaasis and the speed sensor.
This may well be a ground wire for the speed sensor to reduce signal noise for the sensor.
Best option may be to do the same on yor kit.

Martin

Sorry, I meant the regulator... So does that mean you need a power feed into the regulator circuit? It is only on one of the three wires though... And on the circuit diagram, it seems to show it as part of the turn signal relay.

I am running a different system for the speedo (I runa Koso gauge), so hopefully no needed for the clocks if that is the case...

rf900rush

posted on 28/4/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I made an error.

The white is from the battery (12v) via a fuse in the starter relay.

This will supply 12v to many places that need 12v even when the ignition is off.
The Brown supplies the switched 12v.

The regulator will have 12v to operate plus will feed charging power to the battery.
I guess brown to turn it on and the white for charging.

As for the speedo I don't run the zx12r clocks but mine is the later 2004 ecu.
It is still resricted in 6th but not likely to be flat out in 6th anyway, so I have left it for the moment.

Some of the restricted ECU's do have work arrounds.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 28/4/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
The output from the regulator is different. It combines all three and send the output down a white wire back to the battery. The wire I am still unsure of comes before that in the circuit (it can be seen on the wiring diagram linked above, just above the words 'TO FIA'...
rf900rush

posted on 28/4/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the short white wire connectect to on of the three yellow generator wires, then mine is not connected.

On my diagram (which looks simular in the area), then It feeds the fues box.
My guess is to do with the "safety" wiring.
This line feeds the lighting circuit via a diode.

It looks like it alters the lights opperation when starting (Cranking) and when the generator is running.

I don't think it's needed for BEC's

Here's my diagram LINKY

and other info here LINKY

twybrow

posted on 29/4/11 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
That would make sense. My last lump had a similar circuit. I have now removed it, but the connector remains just in case!

Thanks for the help...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.