Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 28/4/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
fuel starvation

I think i have discovered a lo-cost remedy for the cornering / fuel starvation problem.
My fuel tank has a centre baffle, with the ford puma fuel pump with fuel level sensor unit fitted on top left hand side. the hole in the top of the tank is 4" so i aquired one of those stainless teapots with rattley lids that are used in supermarket cafe's. removed handle and spout and located pump & pick up filter in bottom of pot, cut top to clear sender unit, re bend the float to clear, drill hole in pot next to hole in framework of unit, loosely bolt together.
Place pot through hole in tank and position unit in correct position, mark the 9o'clock position on top of unit, looking from the rear of car. remove, and drain & allow to dry, mark pot in line with 9'oclock mark right down to the bottom and as close to bottom as poss, drill three holes @ 6mm dia. as close together as you can either side of this mark, then another three holes above these, clean off swarf, bolt firmly together and reinstall unit.
The pot acts as a small reservoir, so as fuel surges away from pick up pipe, a bit of fuel is trapped , and the return fuel runs into the teapot to allow a fierce corner or bend. obviously it wont allow zooming around a roundabout 10 times but it seems to work for road work.
Hope this makes sense. Its a bit like blue peter isn't it.

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/4/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
That's a True Locoster solution, quite a few in tank units have a built in swirl pot, guess you just invented the Locost version

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

kensprin

posted on 30/4/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem i used and cut in half a mr sheen spray can with 2 holed in the left hand side and put the pump init. All seem good now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.