Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Timing HELP
couch22k

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Timing HELP

Right, after posting this post I have now had a new pito engine built with a spare 205 block I had.

Got it all back in today and when i came to time it up I got a little confused. It started up not to bad and sounds spot on, but when I put the timing light on I got a little confused.

On the pulley there are the standerd 4/5 marks for TDC 4/8/12 degree but about 35/40mm to the right of the marks(clockwise) there is a single mark that is what is seems to be timed to.

Im not sure if this was there before or if its been added. As I have very little mechanical knowledge I dont want to start moving the dizzy to much.

Tried getting hold of the builder but it was to late and hes not back in till Tue and I was hoping to run it in a little this weekend.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve

jacko

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
If its like mine i put another mark at 36% its so when i use a strobe lamp i can set the timing up.
What i do is rev the engine to 3000rpm and the dizzy should line up with this mark
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
couch22k

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
If its like mine i put another mark at 36% its so when i use a strobe lamp i can set the timing up.
What i do is rev the engine to 3000rpm and the dizzy should line up with this mark
Jacko

Cheers Jacko

So the builder put this mark on, will it be TDC??

If it sounds sweet enough do you think it will be ok to put a few miles on it this weekend.

Steve

marcjagman

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
If it starts, runs and ticks over okay then it probably is set correctly.
jacko

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using a strobe light to set it up ? if so i would set it at 12% for a std ford camshaft
I don't know if it will be ok to drive it with out seeing/ working on the engine Sorry
If its week on mixture etc it will damage your nice new engine

Sorry Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
couch22k

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Are you using a strobe light to set it up ? if so i would set it at 12% for a std ford camshaft
I don't know if it will be ok to drive it with out seeing/ working on the engine Sorry
If its week on mixture etc it will damage your nice new engine

Sorry Jacko

Yeah using a Snap on Strobe I borrowed. Think It might be safer leaving it till Tue after the money ive spent

Steve

snapper

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
The builder has put marks for all in timing at 3,600 rpm.
Timing for a Pinto should be someware near 10 degs at idle rising at around 1300rpm to a maximum 36 or 38 degrees at 3,600 rpm with the vac advance removed.
The builder may have cut a new TDC mark and timed from there.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

couch22k

posted on 4/5/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
All Sorted Now

Thanks for all your advice. 200 miles to run it in then oil and filter change quick session on rolling road to sort the carbs out and i'll be ready for Newark

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.