Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Centre refusing to test a BEC?
asl

posted on 29/4/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
MOT Centre refusing to test a BEC?

So I've just driven my Indyblade to Halfords to get it MOT but the grumpy tester is refusing to test it as it doesn't have a reverse gear.

Has anyone had this issue before?

David Jenkins

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Find yourself a kit-car-friendly MOT garage!

I wouldn't go to Halfrauds for ANYTHING unless there was no alternative...

koiking125

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Dont see how they can turn you away if the car is fully registered/sva'd, lack of Knowledge i guess.

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

philw

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Probably can't be arsed to push it in and out of the brake rollers.

Must try harder

asl

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks. There was another tester willing to do it but this old fucker just followed him around moaning and telling him not to do it. Amazing that he can simply refuse with no objective evidence as to why.
britishtrident

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
If no effective reverse which he discovered after starting the test he would have been within his rights not to complete test and charge you.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
put a complaint in about him to the manager and take it elsewhere, though do mention the fact that it has ne reverse on the phone to the next place, even offer to assist in moving the car off the rollers etc

I have a very good garage for mot's that is quite happy to let me help, they do vary so worth looking around

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Major Stare

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I would speak to the manager and complain, if the reply isnt good enough, take it to head office. Give it the "time off work and fuel to get to the garage, attitude of the staff etc".
Then educate them that your car has no reverse, no reverse light and is exempt from that part of the test.

Jon "FISH"

ReMan

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If no effective reverse which he discovered after starting the test he would have been within his rights not to complete test and charge you.

Really even with no legal requirement for one?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rusty nuts

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth a word with VOSA? , I'm not sure but I don't think they can refuse to test it??
asl

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately VOSA are off today but they will be getting a call first thing Monday. He was a belligerent old sod! What a complete waste of a morning. The frustrating thing was the younger guy was trying to help me but couldn't find the car on the system to get the brake weight. I had all the docs for the car with it's gross weight but the old sod wouldn't let him use that for the brake weight. Aarrgghh
marcjagman

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
So I've just driven my Indyblade to Halfords to get it MOT but the grumpy tester is refusing to test it as it doesn't have a reverse gear.

Maybe it's down to insurance? He could have decided it's not fit for an MOT as it can't go backwards under it's own power? There are several reasons for refusal to do an MOT.

marcjagman

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Unfortunately VOSA are off today but they will be getting a call first thing Monday. He was a belligerent old sod! What a complete waste of a morning. The frustrating thing was the younger guy was trying to help me but couldn't find the car on the system to get the brake weight. I had all the docs for the car with it's gross weight but the old sod wouldn't let him use that for the brake weight. Aarrgghh

Make it Tuesday, Monday is qa bank holiday (may day)

marcjagman

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be worth a word with VOSA? , I'm not sure but I don't think they can refuse to test it??

Vehicle can be refused a test if it can't get in and out under it's own power, low on oil/petrol plus a few other reasons.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
My favourite place loves doing kit cars, bikes, trikes and anything else exotic! He always says that my car is nice and easy 'cos he can check the front suspension from above... and it's usually much cleaner underneath than most tin-tops.

I couldn't see him being bothered by the lack of a reverse, though you probably would have to help push it in and out of the rollers.

For anyone in South Suffolk/North Essex, it's Station Garage, Capel St Mary.

stevebubs

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Why? It's not a failure point...

stevebubs

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Nationwide Autocentres had a reasonable (not great, but reasonable) reputation.

Now they're run by (and branded) Halfords, I can see them going the way of the last Halfords servicing business....

stevebubs

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl

If he was that rude and belligerent, call Halfords head office...

stevegough

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I think you are all missing the easy solution here - fit a car engine!!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

AvonZX9R

posted on 29/4/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Its definatley worthwhile getting to know your local independant garage - you never know when you might need them. Stay clear of most 'chains'.

If anyone is looking for a kitcar friendly MOT/Garage in the East Midlands then I would recommend David Drew in West Bridgford, Nottingham (next to McDonalds). They are great (they own a road legal Radical so know whats what). Hope this helps someone.

gingerprince

posted on 29/4/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl

Yep.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=89034&page=1

scootz

posted on 29/4/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
What was the outcome to your tale of woe Ginge?

It's Evolution Baby!

jacko

posted on 29/4/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl

Do you realy want to go to a garage that has this attitude NO
The garage i go to is great and cant help enough they don't need the weight if they use a declaratory tool [ think thats what its called ] they do mine this way because mine has a LSD diff
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 29/4/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
What was the outcome to your tale of woe Ginge?

I didn't hear anything more of it - I did drive past a few months later and he was still there though...not sure whether he got any sort of reprimand or not.

But what I did get is a friendly new garage that I get the MK MOT'd every year and a good chinwag, as well as the wifes tintop MOT/Service.

david_hornet27

posted on 29/4/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Would agree with David Jenkins about Halfrauds. Don't use them full stop.

Sky high prices, staff with little or no knowledge of anything to do with cars.

Recently for the sake of convenience I reserved a product online for me to collect at my local store. When I went to collect it I queued to ask someone at the counter where I should pick it up, they sent me to the parts counter where I queued again. I gave the guy my reference number which he typed into his computer, he then went to the sales floor and collected the item from the shelf! I kind of expected them to have it ready and reserved behind the counter waiting for me, I could have saved myself time by not reserving and going in and collecting it off the shelf myself. Plonkers!

Another clueless company I would urge people to never use is KwikFit. Absolute numptys!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.