Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IT / Broadband help.
big_wasa

posted on 30/4/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
IT / Broadband help.

About 6 weeks ago my BB started playing up over night. Speaking to any one at talk talk is a pain in the A##se but as ive found with the car insurance today that’s the same with any one, once they have your cash. Anyway.

I keep getting the "this page cannot be displayed" message or the page will not complete and I get this message as a banner. I.e. the face book link or the adverts. On eBay it would be the description on the add.. If I type a reply to a message and it does this I can not recover it. If doing something with money it all goes to crap. eBay, car insurance ect.

Having got hold of some one helpfull-ish at talk talk, he had me run some tests here as well as there guys at the exchange.

They came back with no fault at the exchange but tests here show intermittent packet loss of 7% or more, scratch my head smile .

I copied all the info into an email for him and he said there would be an engineer in contact with in 48 hours. Guess what yep the only contact is a generic email to say no fault found and there closing the case.

As its been 6 weeks ive replaced the filter, cables, router and am running direct from the only socket coming into the hose. I only live 500 meters from the exchange. It does this with all three computors in the house but its worse on the older machines.

Can some one explain what this packet loss in real terms is and where its likely to be happening ? Is it as easy as changing BB provider or will this remain ?

What can I do ?

Help me LCB

[Edited on 30/4/11 by big_wasa]

MikeCapon

posted on 30/4/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I know thre parts of sweet FA about this sort of stuff but you can check your packet loss here.

Mine is 0% but then it's a very small packet to begin with

HTH a bit,

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 30/4/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Talk Talk have an appalling reputation - if they can't/won't sort you out then I recommend changing ISP. It'll be a PITA for a period, but it'll be a good move in the end.

I'm with PlusNet and happy with them. Also BT seems to have a better reputation these days, so might be worth a look.

pdm

posted on 30/4/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Any full page/message you send to the internet or the internet sends back to you is split into packets.

You request a web page and it's delivered to you in small packets which your PC/laptop then reconstructs into the page. All the packets are numbered so it knows how to put them all back together again.

If you are losing packets it sounds like an intermittent drop on the line.

HTH

Although you might get better service at another ISP, as far as I know you'll still be going through a BT line to a BT exchange - so if there's a fault on either, it'd still be there on a different ISP....

(All "I think" !!)

David Jenkins

posted on 30/4/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
At least if you sign up with BT then the buck stops with them!

(although PlusNet is now owned by BT, even if they don't make much of that fact...)

jase380

posted on 30/4/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cant explain it but im having the same problem myself, connects sometimes then doesnt, gone the same route as you, new filters, new router, plugged into master socket, if its any consolation orange are just as shite as talk talk, have also been recommended plus net by a few people so that might be the way forward for me, at least there call centre isnt in mumbai !!
Confused but excited.

posted on 30/4/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I had murder with TalkTalk until I got this number: 01925 556243.
As you can see it's not down town Dehli but Warrington and a very nice lady sorted my problems very quickly.
You didn't get this number from me, roight.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

big_wasa

posted on 2/5/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help and information.
britishtrident

posted on 2/5/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
At least if you sign up with BT then the buck stops with them!

(although PlusNet is now owned by BT, even if they don't make much of that fact...)

PlusNet are pretty good at getting BT Open Reach engineers out.

BT have been having some major outages recently which I suspect are due to network upgrades.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.