Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: losing the will to live...
blakep82

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
losing the will to live...

theres a lot of people on here which i consider have good, decent (maybe not HUGELY well paid) but enjoyable jobs
engineers, welders, farm machinery engineers, that sort of thing. how did you guy all get into doing it? did you start as apprentices when you were 16? did you start later?

i'm 28 now, and since being 16, had a string of jobs i've hated. worked for boots for a few years, quite enjoyed it, but was never going to make a career. after that, call centres and thats it, for the last 6 years.

now i'm thinking i really have to do something, still live with my mum and dad... not cool, and not working since december.
I'd love to get into something i'm actually going to enjoy, but any sort of engineering places all want 'time served' people. how the fudge am i supposed to do that? no where takes anyone new, got no qualifications in anything, anyone got any ideas?
college doesn't start til september, but i don't want to have to wait til then, and i've got no money.
wanted a LGV license, but weeks before i turned 21, health issues put an end to that, so that seems to affect most work with them (even mechanics)
just at a complete loose end. go on, give me some encouragement lol
theres nothing much round here either anyway, not within about 30 miles. except chris wright demolition, but whats the chances of getting anywhere doing that... feel like i've got a mid life crisis coming on already lol

[Edited on 5/5/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
If you've got the skills you could see if anyone will let you volunteer to get some engineering hours under your belt and what have you. I feel much the same way (though I'd probably have actually gone insane if I still lived with my parents) as I've got a pretty poo job, though my biggest problem is I can't afford not to have my shitty job to go and learn something else, from what you've said I'd say your best bet probably is to try and start college in september and just try and find something to do in between.

It's never too late to learn something new. My Mother was in her mid 30's and had 4 children when she got her Degree, she's now in her late 40's and has 5 children and is about to complete her second (And this one is being paid for by the MoD).

Keep your chin up and your eyes open and see what you find.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

craig1410

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Firstly, bravo for asking for advice, takes a lot of guts and is the first step to improving your situation.

Probably the best advice I can think of is to be prepared to move to find work and don't be afraid of temporary failure. Give anything a try.

Too many people are afraid or unwilling to move away from areas of the country where work is not abundant and then wonder why they can't get work. You say you are living with your parents which is both a help and hindrance in that it makes you feel safe and unwilling to take any risks. If you can borrow some money from family to pay for a few nights B&B or even buy a tent and go round a few campsites until you can find a location with available work. Then you can hopefully find work to earn money to pay for something more comfortable. Worst case you end up back with your folks who will have a nice meal waiting for you and you will have some stories to share with them!

Other advice I would give is to never waste your time. If you have spare time then do voluntary work and keep a journal of what you have done and who you have met etc. You might not make any money initially but you will feel better, do some good and possibly make important contacts. It also shows a future employer that you are not lazy. Training is also worthwhile. Why not sit in at your local Apple retail store on all the free software workshops and then advertise to go and help people at home? You don't even need to have a Mac if you are at all tech savvy. You don't even need to like Apple or their products, the important thing is that it is a growth Market with plenty of demand.

That bring sme on to the fact that there is always money to be made if you have the right approach. You just need to identify a Market and a demand and then produce the supply. Always keep your eyes open for Market demand whether it be umbrellas in a busy shopping street in changeable weather, carrier bag handles to shoppers with heavy bags in a busy shopping mall or something a bit more high tech or skilled, it doesn't matter. Even buying and selling on eBay.

Stay positive and you will do fine.

All the best,
Craig.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need focus and direction, if you don't know exactly what you want to do you cant find a route to it. I suppose I was lucky that I knew I wanted to work in engineering when I was a teen, and I spent until I was 25 in education for it, now get to work on fun projects I dream up. Assuming you want something a bit sooner and not requiring postgrad degrees I think you're in a bad time to look, but maybe you can sign up to an apprenticeship or find an engineering firm who will take you on for free. Ultimately you'll probably have to move to get the job you want, thats just the way life is - good jobs are rarely local or easy to get. I'm currently 200 miles from home and only ever get 2-3 year contracts in my field!
gazza285

posted on 5/5/11 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
Contract engineering has loads of work for people like you, if you can handle a 9" grinder and a burning gun you are away! Get yourself down to Yorkshire, show some willing and earn some money. Proper welding skills a bonus, non of that mig crap, learn to stick weld, that's where the money is. If you are any good at the basics then 30k isn't hard to earn.

I jacked in my apprenticeship at 17, did my A-levels, messed up my degree, toured with bands round Europe and drove a mixing desk and tour bus until I was 27, then resorted to contract engineering. Now 39, been with the same firm for 4 years, now being put through my site management qualifications, earning 40k+ a year. Contractors are always looking for people who want to do the job, qualifications or not, if you are willing and any good then expect to get on the job training. Go for it before its too late.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keithice

posted on 5/5/11 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
At 26 I found myself on the sick (badly broken leg) and told I could'nt continue my old job. went to college and took air con and fridge as a one year course (instead of day release for 2-3 years), then the HND in the same.... took several months to talk my way into a firm as an improver whilst working part time on the agencies etc etc. I am now earning +40k as a fridge engineer (fairly heavy on the overtime) but enjoying the work.... take advantage of still being at home and get some courses under your belt.. (I did mine whilst supporting a wife and 4 stepkids and adding one of my own.) The fact you've got on here to ask proves you've got more gumption than a lot of people...

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

Craigman9

posted on 5/5/11 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
I currently am 21 years old and work in the offshore industry. I would recommend you to try and get into the industry too because the possibilities are endless and you don't need to have any qualifications as such to get started. All you would need is the relevant courses to allow you to work on a rig/ship etc.

You should knock up a CV and explain your situation, talk about you hobbies i.e. cars etc and your a keen builder bla bla. Might take some time but you could find a sponsor company who would pay for all of your courses

Have a look on a website called (www.rigzone.com) I believe! Lots of useful information on there and maybe it could point you in the right direction. Any questions just send me a message

Cheers
Craig

[Edited on 5/5/11 by Craigman9]

t16turbotone

posted on 5/5/11 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
I can only echo whats aleady been said by the others guys, with particular attention to the comments by kiethice. Refridgeration engineers are in demand and are very well paid! I have HNC in Elect Engineering and domestic and commerical gas qualifications along with 25 years experience, but i do not earn as much as 25 year old fridge engineers!
Some fridge engineers within the company i work for earn as much as 50K. Needless to say i am currently doing cat 1 F gas course (fridge qualifications)........Food for thought!!!

Tony

adrianreeve

posted on 5/5/11 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
My brother in law was in a similar situation. Fairly drastic measure, he joined the army for 6 years, they put him through college, he is now a fully qualified mechanic, done his bit for queen and country, and employers usually like giving ex-forces jobs, as they are well disciplined (I interview regularly, and take on a lot of ex-army, we recruit directly at the job fairs organised for these guys). Like I said, drastic, but a good way to get yourself sorted!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/5/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I went to Uni to part time to do mech engineering (after bombing out of a maths degree) and got a job at a tank storage facility as a drawing office gopher working for peanuts. Mostly photocopying and making tea. It just so happened that our site engineer needed some help handling the documentation for a certain project. He got ill and sadly passed away and I got assigned to his project. I must have done well as I started as a staffer Junior Engineer later that year. I had just got my BEng and got the Junior bit taken out of my title. I had been working exclusively on large storage tanks, repairing and inspection.

I was asked to go on secondment to our Parent facilities in the US in 2007 as a Project manager for the construction of a very large storage terminal. Got more heavily involved in inspection during this time and came back to my same UK job as an Inspection Engineer. Along the way I accumulated a lot inspection specific quals, API, EEMUA, PCN etc. There is a lot of inspection type work out there, if you can see your way through PCN Lv2 in UT or MPI you will always find work.

Can I just say that opportunites often don't come from a traditional route. You have done the right thing by asking advice. I wrote about 25 letters to local engineering companies pushing for the opportunity to do anything that was in any way to do with engineering. I got 6 replies, whihc consisted of 5 "thanks but no thanks" and 1 can you come in to talk to us. That 1 letter started my career.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

David Jenkins

posted on 5/5/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Slight preamble: When I took voluntary redundancy from BT they organised a 'leavers course'. There were about 20 people on the course - most whinged and whined that the course would be no use, and they'd not find another job. Me and the bloke opposite made it quite clear that we thought this was an opportunity, and the lecturer aimed all of her efforts straight at the 2 of us as soon as she realised this.

Anyway, a few significant points came out of the (very good) course:

1. Treat looking for a job as a full-time job - I used to spend a half-day every day, Monday to Friday, doing stuff related to job hunting.
2. Don't be disheartened if you get no replies to 100 letters - you only need one good one.
3. Get your CV in good shape - just a couple of pages. Check all spelling and grammar, and get it proof-read by someone independent (the Job Centre can help). When you print it out, make sure it's on good paper and that it's a good print.
4. Research the company you're sending your CV to - try to tailor the covering letter to suit their business.

I've only used the Job Centre once - as soon as they realised that I was serious about finding a job and working very hard to do it they were VERY helpful. I even got them to pay for a railway ticket to a job interview (which I got).

I passed this info on to my son when he came out of uni - he must have written 250 letters, didn't get many replies, but he did get one interview eventually. He didn't get that job, but they called him a while later inviting him to take another job that had come up. He's still there 7 or 8 years later, and working his way up the ladder!

macc man

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
My situation is not dissimilar to yours. I trained as an engineer but left not long after completing my apprenticeship to join BT.
I left BT in 2003 and wanted to get back to engineering. Problem was being out of the trade for so long I could not get any offers of work. I ended up self employed as a bathroom fitter. While things were good in the boom years, work is getting more scarce and less well paid. I am at a crossroads at present and looking for an oppertunity to diversify. I am of the belief that
renewable energy is the way forward and hope to move into this area. Be persistant and follow your instincts. If you have any relatives working in your chosen interest, chase them up and see if any can find work in their company. Hope things work out for you good luck.

Dum-Dum

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Its definately the right time to do something about it.

Maybe put together a folder of your work and engineering projects (like the car and other things you make around the house or for mates) to show potential employers that although you might not have qualifications that you do have skills.

Personally I did a BTEC in engineering in college (equivalent of 3 A levels) and then started an apprenticeship at Honda. Quit working at honda because of my height meaning that I couldnt stand up straight under a car on a ramp and it was giving me a terrible bad back.

Kind of wish id of pulled myself and gone to uni the next year however im now in the police earning £££ in a job that I love and im looking to do an engineering degree by post. Having a good well paid job means that I can afford for engineering to be a hobby.

swanny

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Given that you've got good customer service skills from the call centres, how about offering to help a kit car firm out with their customer service issues? Might be a way to bridge the gap from call centre into engineering.
mikeb

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
How about voluteering for a race team then follow it up with a course in motorsport engineering/mechanics in September.
There's plenty of privateers that could do with an extra set of hands on a race weekend you might even get your travel paid for if you get in with the right people.

Snuggs

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Try this.

Your future starts here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

FASTdan

posted on 5/5/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cant offer much that hasn't already been said as there have been some very good replies.

Can you weld? In my experience there are plenty of welding jobs advertised that do not require qualifications. I spent a while in some dirty, backstreet workshops welding simple fabrications but it was all good experience. Once you can MIG, stick isn't much harder.

[Edited on 5/5/11 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
WOW thank you for all the replies everyone
posted that just before i went to bed last nite, didn't expect so much this morning!
its hard to try and respond to everything lol

up until March last year it wasn't so bad, dad worked away monday to friday, and mum being cabin crew on BA, was away 3 days to 8 days at a time, so was easy then. now dads retired it a lot harder. I do plan to try and get back to college in september though. Had thought about welding (to get a qualification to use) and/or electrical installation. the idea being once i've got some money and a house, try and go into property, and rewire the houses myself. a lot of houses up here needing that sort of thing. can't afford to buy one though, but its something i think i can do, and something i'd enjoy doing, engineering being more a day time job
Greenock used to be the centre of ship building. there's still a few ship yards towards glasgow, so there is work not far away in engineering, just i can't work out the way into it.

something i had thought of doing was making some small chassis's, not 7s or full size cars, but things like off road buggys, something like that to make and sell on ebay, something to show fabrication shops that i CAN make stuff, even without qualifications. also a few other small item, log burners etc, which i've started 3 of.

I have also looked at lift engineers a few years back but didn't have qualifications or experience. again theres college! not looked at aircon yet. will look at that and see whats what.

a few years ago, i sprayed a bonnet for a mate. he works at jewsons, and one of the guys that comes in asked who did it, so, I've been sorting the body of the van for him. said to him i've got no way of pricing it, don't know how it might turn out, but as long as the basic cost is covered, its up to him how much he thinks its worth. the guys very pleased so far, so thinking of perhaps leaving cards on a few vans that could do with a tidy. so nothing too difficult. white van, no metallics, but makes them a bit more presentable turning up at jobs. might be a start of something. won't see me to retirement, but will get a few quid in hopefully.
here's some before and after
Description
Description
Description
Description

still needs final paint, just primer at the moment. wish i'd taken more photos of it before and after...

Snuggs, the same health issues rule out train driving glasgow subway drivers get paid well. but, don't think i can do it... thank you though, it is a really good idea

as for volunteering with race teams, the pickup racing would be perfect, and the website does show that teams are looking for volunteers, thing is, its a long way yot any of their races. shame because i'm building one of those cars!
the guy who is taking my car to help me with the fuel lines races and rents ot vans, maybe if i show i can pick it up quick he might be interested in extra help there? he does everything there lol

Dan, i can weld, I personally don't do anything structural, only cosmetic, but thats because i don't know if i'm doing it right, but will contact the place that did my brake caliper brackets, see if i can do some work for them

Thank you everyone for your support, keep the messages coming always looking for more ideas. need to go out now

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coyoteboy

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the idea being once i've got some money and a house, try and go into property, and rewire the houses myself. a lot of houses up here needing that sort of thing.

Not sure what the regs are up here in bonny scotland, but down south you've part P to contend with and have to be certified etc. Fairly sure (but not certain) you could get away without in Scotland, but you'd need to be sure.

blakep82

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

the idea being once i've got some money and a house, try and go into property, and rewire the houses myself. a lot of houses up here needing that sort of thing.

Not sure what the regs are up here in bonny scotland, but down south you've part P to contend with and have to be certified etc. Fairly sure (but not certain) you could get away without in Scotland, but you'd need to be sure.

yeah, that was to do with the doing electrical installations at college possibly at the same time as welding.

morcus

posted on 5/5/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Having studied Naval Architecture for two years in Glasgow I will offer you this advice about ship building, all the decent jobs are very much over subscribed, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. That said it does pay very well. You would need an internationally recognised welding qualification though but they're really easy to get (Even if you can't weld).

What courses are you looking at and where?. Studying has massive benefits beyond the actual qualifications, you'll qualify for loans and maybe grants plus you won't have to pay council tax so living on your own will be easier. The biggest advantage though is access to clubs and resourses normal people just don't have, like fully fledged racing teams (Strathclydes website is still set as my home page and I see they're doing well in a student racing series) and some courses will allow you to do things you enjoy and get graded on them (I believe someone on this site entered part of their car towards a degree).

I don't want to hijack this but I'd like to say that I found all the replies not only useful but inspiring, I left Uni with nothing but debt and a mental break down and now I feel trapped in a rubbish job, living in a tiny flat. I'm only 23 but that makes me an old man in my job. I've wanted to learn something new but the only way I could see to do it was either part time with no time to myself and giving up the car and every other luxury or by moving to the other side of the country to live with my Parents and 4 year old sister which would probably kill me but I see now there are other ways.

I vote we stickie this to the top.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

blakep82

posted on 5/5/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
its true ship building generally is still in decline, i think there's only really BAE left, however, the current socttish government, SNP, who i don't agree with generally, they want to 'reindustrialise scotland' with renewable energy schemes, with manufacturing and export. they say all the turbines are to be built this side of glasgow.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12767211

seems the right sort of time to get into it. the sort of 'old school' ship builder welders are getting on a fair bit now, its got to be time for a new load of them

as for courses, i haven't really got a clue where to start, the NCs in welding and fabriaction at the local collect, full time for a year, i've put in an application, but theres not much info on the colleges web site, but will try and get in there tomorrow for a chat. I'll check out strathclyde uni too
I'd have to be coded i imagine for underwater structures, but I'd have to start somewhere else first.

Ninehigh

posted on 5/5/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I feel your pain, my current job involves sitting in a shed for 16 hours a day with nothing to do but this, and I'm risking my job having this forum for company.

To be honest I'd rather the totality of the local high school kicked me in the head, each, every hour than be here for one more minute, and I've been trying to get out of shitty jobs for 13 years now...

So here's the cynical guide to getting a good job (all from my own experience)

1. The CV is for YOUR reference. Only you will actually read it.
2. Minimum wage is not a minimum it's the standard
3. You will only climb the corporate ladder by being completely incompetent
4. Make your own job, at least you're only being bent over by the "government" and not your boss too
5. If you're going to do 4, be great at it or you might as well sit on the dole. Wish I had I'd be as well off financially as I am now (note the 16 hours a day)

Alan B

posted on 6/5/11 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Although out of touch with what's happening in the UK, perhaps I can still contribute.

I left school at 16, against the advice of teachers etc. to work for the family business. I'd done well at school with good 'O' levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Metalwork, Tech drawing and other subjects of lesser interest to me....I should have gone on to uni while it was easier to do, but my path was set...or was it?

I'd always enjoyed mechanical engineering and envied friends who'd got apprenticeships or gone onto university. After a few years the family business was dissolved as we all moved to the USA. I and my wife didn't stay long as my wife was homesick and we returned....Now I truly was on my own, no family business in fact nothing really but dreams, this was 1980......

30 years later and I have my BSc (1995) started a couple of businesses (both still running), built a few cars, and worked for several companies as a mechanical design engineer. One of the big breaks was getting a job at Rockwell Graphics (Goss)...I must have convinced them to give me a chance as a design engineer, and this was without being time-served...something that always bothered me...

In 1994 we moved back to Florida and have lived here since then.

I guess the morals of the story are...

Have a clear goal and vision...I didn't until later, but at least I was able to get back on track....make your goal realistic, but high enough to give you satisfaction when you get there..

Get more educated..do classes..read a lot...pick up skills...get involved in stuff

Keep trying...don't give up ever

Apply for jobs that you you really fancy, even though you may not think you are qualified, but often a job posting is just a wish list of the perfect candidate....which quite often does not exist..that's happened to me a few times as I've been lucky enough to have the 5 out of 10 attributes that were essential...rather than the 5 nice, but not essential skills...thing is you just dont know so go for it.

Could keep going on, but there's loads of good advice here on LCB......

Good luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.