Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yawn........ Fuel blokade
woodster

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yawn........ Fuel blokade

Here we go again , I do understand people are pissed off but I can't see this being allowed to work.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/245334/Petrol-blockade-to-halt-Britain-

MakeEverything

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly, these occasions are the only ones when the Government listens.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jossey

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
come on then woodster what do you reccommend we do to reduce fuel cost.

We pay over 80p in Fuel tax and vat etc. its not fair.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
forget the blockades. lets all go on national strike, shut down everything

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh - The Express - the home of good reporting...

...or, to put it another way - the biggest bunch of sh*t stirrers in the UK!

SteveWalker

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Ahh - The Express - the home of good reporting...

...or, to put it another way - the biggest bunch of sh*t stirrers in the UK!

Surely that's the mail? And I actually like reading the Mail - it just has to be taken with a pinch of salt!

Triton

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ridiculous fuel prices are killing this country and politicians are crooks just like the banks......!!!

Time for us to take the wee methinks

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have to read the daily bog papers to know fuel prices are killing Industry in this country.....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Robin Bar .........ds

What about a national 'buy no fuel' week, everyone use public transport how ever long it takes and overload the system, show that there is no real alternative to cars yet.

No deliveries, staff late for work , all legal and 'green'.

Excess stocks of fuel at refineries , super tankers queing up , and the climate people would be happy too!

We are so apathetic in the UK , and the good old class system is good for a bit of 'divide and conquer!!

woodster

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
come on then woodster what do you reccommend we do to reduce fuel cost.

We pay over 80p in Fuel tax and vat etc. its not fair.

I back the protesters I just can't see how they can legally blockade stanlow or anywhere, I've said in the past how soft as a people we all are the French do a far better protest/riot than we do, we just seem to put up with being held to ransom with the tax on fuel, the knob eds in government must know we won't do anything.

GeorgeM

posted on 8/5/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all for bringing the cost of fuel down,

BUT: given that the government can only spend what it gets in tax revenue (unless they just borrow even more)
what should we all go without in return ?

I'm fed up with one party giving everyone more than we can afford by borrowing, then the other lot making cuts
to get us out of their mess. Repeat every 4-10 years depending on how long it takes us to forget............

Both parties have sold off all our assets, so nothing left there,

Any ideas?

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

craig1410

posted on 8/5/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm keen for cheaper fuel just the same as the next man but if tax isn't derived from fuel then it will have to come from somewhere else and I'd rather it was something that I have some control over consumption of like VAT (overall spending), alcohol duty (booze) and fuel (mileage/car choice) than something I can't control so easily like income tax (work harder - pay more...).

To give you an idea, I gave up my Leon Cupra 1.8T 3 years ago and bought a Toyota Aygo. This was at the peak of the fuel price hike last time around (mid 2008) and at that time I was driving 40 miles a day to work and back 5 days a week (13k miles per annum with other journeys). I was already car sharing by taking a colleague to work and he was effectively paying half the fuel cost of the journey (10p per mile) which was about 40% of the cost of public transport for him and obviously lessened the burden on me (win-win).

When I changed to the Aygo I was able to cover the entire cost of fuel from my passenger's contribution leaving me with only the non-fuel costs. Even better, the 4 year old Cupra yielded £9k in the trade in agains the £8k brand new Aygo so I got £1k back in a cheque from the dealer. Obviously the downside was in the driving experience of Aygo versus Cupra but to be honest on a commute it was no big deal and well worth it. I also had the added advantage of lower insurance costs, service costs, tyres, road tax etc etc. Overall savings I worked out to by nearly £3.5k per year!! Not kidding!!

Now I know that farmers and haulage companies need certain types of vehicles to get the job done and an Aygo towing a plough might not be a great idea but they can at least reclaim tax on fuel consumed for business purposes. For the average motorist I would advise having an objective look at what you can do to minimise fuel and other motoring related costs. There may be tough decisions to be made such as changing vehicle or even just driving more efficiently but it can be done. As a motoring enthusiast, I get my kicks out of the mileage I do in my Locost and even though this isn't free, it is considerably cheaper than having a fast car to drive every day for the commute. It also has the added advantage of making the Locost seem even faster than it is because compared to an Aygo it is night and day whereas compared to the Cupra it was just a different type of high performance.

So, not trying to wind anyone up here and I appreciate there are some who might not be able to do much to reduce costs but for me, as I said, fuel usage is something I can reduce if I put my mind to it and in doing so over the last 3 years I have saved well over £10k.

Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Stopping the country from working through blockades and strikes is the worst thing we can do. It is the worst part of the British mentality and does nothing but harm to our reputation and financial situation. Terribly short term vision.

[Edited on 8/5/2011 by craig1410]

morcus

posted on 8/5/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is being held hostage by who evers blockading fuel better than being charged more money for it? All that happens is everyone gets inconvenienced and can't buy fuel, and has to pay more because there'll be a panic, and if it lasts long enough the prices won't return to what they were before. Net result, fuel is more expensive.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

SteveWalker

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is Craig1410 that not everone has the same choice, Mileage wise, I'm not too bad at the moment, but work moves around for me and I could be much further away soon. We do have a smaller car for my wife (she's a community nurse and needs to be mobile) and my car is a medium sized diesel, but with three kids we need the larger car for normal day to day family life. Fuel is now becoming a major part of our expenses, while also being a necessity for our professions.

The government do need to bring in revenue, but too much of it is being concentrated on vehicle and fuel duties, in the knowledge that those that are paying the most, frequently have little choice. It is time that some of the duty was removed and spread out more evenly amongst the population as a whole.

If jobs for life were still the norm, the necessity for travel would be much less, but as it is not, people must travel to what is available and fuel is therefore no longer a luxury, but an essential, yet it is being taxed as a super-luxury.

HowardB

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have just returned from Houston where fuel is $4.00 per US gallon, people still think that down sizing is going from a 3.5 tonne truck to a 3 tonne truck!! An eco warrior drives a car that does more than 30mpg and anything that does more than 40mpg is derided as a toy.

Whilst I was there USA Today published a news item to say that the tax take in the USA had gone down.

Perhaps we can learn a lesson here,..?

In the meantime the WRX still gets thrashed and the Fury blasted here and there, I burn petrol rather than drink beer!

:-)

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

GeorgeM

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone remember when kids walked to school, job was near where you lived,
and you were happy with one holiday (probably in a caravan).
Have we just all got used to having a lot more than we can afford, and complaining
that we can't have even more ?
Are we any happier or better off for it ?

MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

HowardB

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
oh I am happy, very happy, and all the Americans in Houston who have had fuel go from $2.85 to $4.00 are sad,...

my car is yellow!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

craig1410

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
The trouble is Craig1410 that not everone has the same choice, Mileage wise, I'm not too bad at the moment, but work moves around for me and I could be much further away soon. We do have a smaller car for my wife (she's a community nurse and needs to be mobile) and my car is a medium sized diesel, but with three kids we need the larger car for normal day to day family life. Fuel is now becoming a major part of our expenses, while also being a necessity for our professions.

The government do need to bring in revenue, but too much of it is being concentrated on vehicle and fuel duties, in the knowledge that those that are paying the most, frequently have little choice. It is time that some of the duty was removed and spread out more evenly amongst the population as a whole.

If jobs for life were still the norm, the necessity for travel would be much less, but as it is not, people must travel to what is available and fuel is therefore no longer a luxury, but an essential, yet it is being taxed as a super-luxury.

Steve, actually we have three kids too and my wife drives a SEAT Altea 1.6 petrol (Owned from new in Sep 05 - 60k miles). The difference is that her mileage is more like 9-10k miles per year including the various family journeys we do each year for holidays etc. My Aygo gets used for business trips too and this is where I can really win out because I can claim 40p per mile tax relief for business mileage. The Aygo is actually really comfy for motorway trips and I've done over 540 miles in a day before on a trip to North Wales and back no problem. It still yields 56MPG at 80MPH on the motorway and up to 66MPG at slower speeds. Over £200 tax relief for that one journey too...

I take your point that we don't all have the option of reducing fuel usage but for most of us it is possible if you think about it.

GeorgeM, you speak a lot of truth there, some very good points. I'm working from home now having recently quit my job of 10 years as an IT consultant to start up my own company. I save 1.5 hours and 40 miles of commuting every day which is such a good feeling. My family and I have just returned from a long weekend camping under canvas near Loch Lomond. Very simple holiday but memorable and refreshing not to mention very cheap. We hope to tour France later in the summer, again under canvas and the cost of fuel for the journey will be the largest cost of the holiday but it pales into insignificance compared to the savings I have made since getting the Aygo, and again now that I avoid commuting altogether.

Cheers,
Craig.

smart51

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
People bitch like crazy when public services are cut and yet complain at paying taxes. Some are even so blind that they blame the politicians and call them greedy as if all the extra tax money went into their own pockets. Wise up. Government doesn't have its own money, it raises cash from taxes and spends it on the hospitals and schools you whine about when spending is cut. Pay the tax or accept spending cuts - you can't have it both ways.

OK, so you don't want to pay tax on fuel. What would you rather pay it on? You can't pay less tax without having even bigger spending cuts. Choose.

Moorron

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
i missed the last one as i was on holiday but i would like to see someone stick two fingers up to all those who take take take.

The only way to deal with increased costs is to join them, turn greedy and take as much as you can when you can from who you can, thats how they work. After losing my 12 year job last year i have managed to get a new one contracting and i now have to drive 55 miles a day instead of 15, not much but when your car does 15 mpg its making a difference to my take home pay. Im even using the kitcar as much as i can (twice so far lol) to save fuel!

Ive done as much as i can to save fuel, other than taking a loan out and swapping cars i cant do much else as no one travels to my location that i know of. So far ive reduced my speed to what ever i can get away with so i am not late this means most day 40 mph on a 60 limit road is my speed. I also play the game of not trying to use my brakes, as using them means im wasting energy so it gets fun on islands and traffic lights trying to time as early on as possible so i dont have to stop. Also driving as smooth as possible not just with the throttle but cornering. This alone has took me to 18 mpg and earlier this week i replaced the vacuum advance for the dizzy as it was broke and this seems to be making it even better (not done a full tank on it yet so cant prove it).

If i get to 20mpg im having a party lol.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

daviep

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
People bitch like crazy when public services are cut and yet complain at paying taxes. Some are even so blind that they blame the politicians and call them greedy as if all the extra tax money went into their own pockets. Wise up. Government doesn't have its own money, it raises cash from taxes and spends it on the hospitals and schools you whine about when spending is cut. Pay the tax or accept spending cuts - you can't have it both ways.

OK, so you don't want to pay tax on fuel. What would you rather pay it on? You can't pay less tax without having even bigger spending cuts. Choose.

+1

People need to learn to live within their means.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

scootz

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

+1

People need to learn to live within their means.

Davie

+2

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd rather tax go on something that is an option like tobacco (no-one needs it) instead of me going to work.

If I didn't buy fuel for a week then for the last 4 days of it neither me nor the missus would be going to work, thus all those "lets not buy fuel on a tuesday" campaigns would be laugable if they didn't come up all the time.

Why don't we overload public transport? How would that work? You think anyone gives a toss if we're crammed on buses so tight we can't breathe (bear in mind sheep have more rights to comfort in transit than we do)? You think your boss won't fire you for being late every day with a "sorry there aren't enough buses"? As much as I kinda like the idea we're essentially giving them what they want. Also what about people who don't work in the right time? I can't get a bus to work because they don't run then, missus can't as car use is part of her contract...

Our car is the size it is because a) I used to be a taxi driver and b) two of our children are adult size. Iirc I also worked out that because the car is finance clear we'd have to average about -75mpg (yes minus) to be worth the payments.

Overall I don't know what can be done (apart from vote for me!) but as soon as that Nissan Leaf comes out (2013) or the Renault one (still pestering for a date on that one) I shall be seriously considering an upgrade from what will then be a mondeo with 150k on the clock

norfolkluego

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Surely it's up to the Government to balance these things out. What's the point in having sky high fuel duty if it's having an adverse effect on the rest of the economy thereby reducing the tax the government raise from that. If the fuel duty went high enough it could potentially collapse the economy, nobody would have a job (or therefore pay tax), wouldn't be be able to afford to drive (so no fuel duty then), QED fuel duty at 10 quid a litre and the government is actually getting b*gger all in tax or duty. Killing the fatted calf and all that.

The problem is they've always seen fuel duty as a bottomless pit, it isn't and there are consequences for milking it too much.

[Edited on 8/5/11 by norfolkluego]

GeorgeM

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
just another daft thought......

how about a national job swap scheme ?

find someone doing the same job as you, but nearer to home for both.
wouldn't work for everyone, but what about starting with teachers ?
If teachers didn't drive to work, and all pupils went to the local school
the roads would be empty (just like school holidays !!) + Massive saving in fuel

would be like a pay rise as well as no need for all that fuel......

MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.