Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much driving at IVA?
David_17

posted on 9/5/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
How much driving at IVA?

Hi guys.

Just wondering how much my car will be driven at IVA, as i've never experienced one?

If my megasquirt map is drivable but the acceleration settings etc aren't mapped, will it be ok? As to map it properley it needs to be driven and the rolling road is fully booked for 6 weeks.

Also, if i set up my tracking roughly myself, will that be ok?

Cheers

Dave.

nearly done

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,
I had my IVA last week and the tester drove it around the yard to test the turning circle, it was only driven for 5 mins max. Bear in mind you will need to hold the revs steady for the emissions and noise test. I was convinced mine would fail on the self centering but no mention of this was made (tyres to 40 psi helped).

Cheers,Sean

David_17

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ah that's good to know. Thanks for the reply.

Also, what RPM is the emmissions tested?

adithorp

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
They drove mine (for SVA) once around the building and a couple of turns on full lock to check the self centering.

The only other driving is through the test lane and back and forth on the brake rollers and then up to speed on the speedo test rollers.

If your engine is pre '95 (and you can prove it) the emmision test is just at idle. For post '95 it's idle and fast idle between 2500 and 3000rpm.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

stevegough

posted on 9/5/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Noise is tested at 3/4 of the revs you have stated for max power - you may need to hold that for a couple of mins. - I did as it was 99.7, then 99.3, then 99.0 - Pass!

Also during the Speedo check, the car is tied down and driven (rolling road) at 70 mph for ten seconds or so - then a second time if you have to adjust it - this would probably be the most telling point if it can't be held steady. Mine was adjusted twice (hence 3 'runs' at 70 mph.

I set my tracking very roughly myself - there was no probs on the test but afterwards, it was wearing tyres quick until I adjusted the tracking a bit nearer what it should be.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

ashg

posted on 9/5/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Mine got a good thrash round the perimeter of the test centre and we hit 125mph on the speed rollers but it was well mapped. If its not fully mapped tell him and they will be gentle
David_17

posted on 9/5/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
At least theyll be understanding then. How long does the full test take on average?
stevegough

posted on 10/5/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David_17
At least theyll be understanding then. How long does the full test take on average?

A lot of the 'understanding' is down to the individual tester, some are better than others. Where is your test?
The test will take 4 hours (mine was 08:00 to 12:30) there's a lot to get through.

Good luck!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

David_17

posted on 10/5/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
My test will be at Beverley, as I've heard good words about there. I haven't actually sent my application off yet, as I'm still waiting for a chassis number off the DVLA.

Sent my letter to them of a week or so ago and haven't recieved anything yet. Might have to give them a ring soon to see what's going on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.