Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: megasquirt, new map needed
dunk3

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
megasquirt, new map needed

Hi all , has anyone got a good map , or point me in the right direction, for a 2.0L Zetec blacktop , Running standard injection with a Griffin Plenum Chamber , I am useing Megasquirt 1 V3 , if that helps . thanks dunk.
austin man

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Dunk send me a u2u to remind me to send the link I found

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Bumble

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dunk,

I thought yu had it set up on a Rolling Road recently?

Matt

austin man

posted on 12/5/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.jamesfawcett.co/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=3&Itemid=3

Have a look on here Dunk there are other forums that you can gain maps from, Come on guys someone must have one , Dunk has had his car mapped but the power is really down so hes not sure whether its a poor map or something wrong with his Megasquirt

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

MkIndy7

posted on 12/5/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
If the map on the Megasquirt on the moment has been set on a rolling road for the fueling, would it not be better to stick with that map and only alter the timing.
Try putting stupid values on Advance in and see if it will pink, indicating that it is actually changing the advance

Have we got a more detailed explanation as to why the rolling road couldn't map the sparks aswell?..
Did they not have time to map the ignition aswell?,
a technical fault?, or
Did they try altering it, but it didn't respond regardless of the values they put into the MS spark tables.

It might be worth checking that even at idle the MS is sparking where it should with a timing light if available and check that it holds the degree's it says it is on the screen actually on the car.

dunk3

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to the guy today who did the mapping.
they tried to alter the ignition timing table but what ever values they put in it did't change anything , could it be a fault with the ecu.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dunk3
Hi all , has anyone got a good map , or point me in the right direction, for a 2.0L Zetec blacktop , Running standard injection with a Griffin Plenum Chamber , I am useing Megasquirt 1 V3 , if that helps . thanks dunk.

Hi, what injectors are you using? are you using EDIS ignition?

If ignition timing changes within MS (megastune / tunerstudio) make no difference to the engine note at idle then check the wiring from the ECU to the EDIS module (SAW) If the SAW connection is missing the EDIS defaults to 10deg fixed timing.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Spoke to the guy today who did the mapping.
they tried to alter the ignition timing table but what ever values they put in it did't change anything , could it be a fault with the ecu.

I'd be interested to know the outcome too,

My MS when it was installed on the old Pinto engine would never Pink regardless of what stupidly high advance values you put it and the economy was terrible and the engine always ran really hot, when it had a timing light on it was aparenly allover the place on idle aswell when it should have been a solid 10Deg.
So I suspect my MS was doing the same, it has been sent back in the past and i've been assured it was working but it could be "noise" issues sempt to be the general answer.

I'm hopeing its going to be better (and fingers crossed it seems to be so far) on the duratec setup but only time will tell.

dunk3

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
quote:

Hi, what injectors are you using? are you using EDIS ignition?

If ignition timing changes within MS (megastune / tunerstudio) make no difference to the engine note at idle then check the wiring from the ECU to the EDIS module (SAW) If the SAW connection is missing the EDIS defaults to 10deg fixed timing.

Hi , i am using the standard injectors , and i am using Edis .

ashg

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
As bailey said

check the pip and saw wires between the ms and the edis. if the spark isnt advancing and retarding one of them will be wrong or broken. sort that and your problem will be solved.

im guessing it will be the saw signal going back to the edis as if the pip goes you would lose fuel injection also

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_EDIS.htm

[Edited on 13/5/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
p.s once you have sorted it take it back to the rr as the fuel map will be all wrong. im surprised that they continued to tune it knowing there was a problem with the ignition advance

[Edited on 13/5/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dunk3

posted on 13/5/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well i have tried the things Bailey Performance and Ashg suggested, but no joy its looking like its a problem with the ecu. has anyone got any more ideas please.
David_17

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Might sound obvious to most, but have you checked it has -10 in the spark settings so it uses the spark map?

Also, make sure the tps/map numbers are correct down the left hand side of the spark map.

P.S. Im new to MS too, still learning.

daxtojeiro

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well i have tried the things Bailey Performance and Ashg suggested, but no joy its looking like its a problem with the ecu. has anyone got any more ideas please.

2 things to check assuming it's not been professionally built (by someone like me )

Whats the value of the resistor that pulls the SAW output up to 5V inside the ECU? Needs to be 750R.

Have you replaced the EDIS 4 module? These fail with the symptoms you describe.

Send me the msq file and I can check its setup correctly, as this could be the issue email me directly on philip.ringwood(at)ntlworld.com

To be perfectly honest, you shouldnt really be using an EDIS module these days anyhow, it works very well, but you are better off directly firing the coils from the ECU,
Phil

BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/5/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi, still no luck then? if you want to post your ECU to me i will check it for you, but if you have a problem with the install (wiring/resets) i wont be able to diagnose unless you can get the car to me.

Have you marked the bottom pulley with a TDC mark (and made a pointer) and used a strobe light to see if the mark "moves" when spark table numbers are altered in megatune? If not then its a wiring problem/EDIS failed/ECU fault. If the mark does move then all the above is OK.
Note - the mark should remain consistent when the engine is at idle, if it bounces around all over the place then you may have noise issues.

If the gauges on the laptop fall to zero from time to time or when you rev the engine you have a reset problem, the engine may also stumble at random intervals, if this is the case you have a wiring problem, normally bad grounding.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.