Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: carb main jet diameters
cd.thomson

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
carb main jet diameters

Morning everyone,

just after a bit of education really. I discovered my zx9r carbs had 2mm main jets fitted, this made the car bog down and was giving a CO reading of 8%. I managed to track down a supplier of jets and purchased 1.6mm replacements, yet after fitting them the CO is still reading a little over 5%.

I've now bought a set of 1.3s but this seems very small compared to the recommendations I've seen on here and elsewhere online. Also am I right in thinking that pousielles law applies to fuel flow through carbs and I may well overshoot into lean territory by going so narrow?

Is there anything else that could be richening out the mixture? There aren't any washers under the needles.

Also, is the non-cat emissions test performed at idle or fast idle? The mixture is spot on at 900-1k rpm, but just shoots up under any throttle.

thanks everyone

Craig

macc man

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
What engine is it. I have a 2.0L zetec fitted with zx9R carbs. The mains are 1.6 which is about the right size. Might be worth getting it set up on a RR. You can only get an approximation by trial and error.

cd.thomson

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
hi macc man, its a 2.0l XE. It seems to run well at 1.6mm but is spitting a bit of fuel and I can't get it through IVA as it is.

I can't really afford a RR at the minute, just trying to get it below that golden 3.5% CO and then probably put the 1.6s back in!

Craig

britishtrident

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
High CO would indicate lean mixture to me.

Lean Mixture -> poor, irratic or incomplete combustion or misfire -> High CO

Any misfire will cause high CO so check everything including manifold joints for air leaks, plugs and the ignition system

cd.thomson

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
ah okay, thats confused me. I thought more petrol gave a high ratio of carbon to oxygen? 1:1 (CO) rather than 1:2 (CO2)??

I don't seem to be having any misfire and I've corrected an air leak on the exhaust side but I'll check that all over again this weekend. Any tips for identifying leaks?

Ignition is megajolt running the basic map, not sure what advance its running.. Is it as simple as running more/less advance to decrease CO?

[Edited on 12/5/11 by cd.thomson]

Craig

coozer

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Try the air bleed screws under the carbs, they control the idle mixture. Main jet only come in wide open taking over from the needle. 1.6mm main sounds about right.

Just a thought, have blocked the air bleed holes?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cd.thomson

posted on 12/5/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
cheers coozer,

I haven't blocked those airholes actually, I'd completely forgotten about them. Where are they again? inside the carb body?

I've got the mixture perfect on the meter at idle using those screws, but they don't seem to have any effect at 2-3k rpm

Craig

rusty nuts

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
High CO would indicate lean mixture to me.

Lean Mixture -> poor, irratic or incomplete combustion or misfire -> High CO

Any misfire will cause high CO so check everything including manifold joints for air leaks, plugs and the ignition system

Sorry I don't agree, incomplete combustion/misfire will cause high hydrocarbons not high CO , the only thing that will cause high CO is a rich mixture

jacko

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
cheers coozer,

I haven't blocked those airholes actually, I'd completely forgotten about them. Where are they again? inside the carb body?

I've got the mixture perfect on the meter at idle using those screws, but they don't seem to have any effect at 2-3k rpm

The air corection screws ajust the mixture at tick over .
the main neddles ajust the fuel/ mixture at higher revs
the air corection holes only come into play at high revs to stop the fuel/mix going week

NOT all engines need the air corection holes blocking
You need it setting up on a Rolling Road its the only safe way

Jacko

carbs on manifold
carbs on manifold

the brass ring / hole in line with the main neddles are the ones you block if needed

[Edited on 12/5/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.