Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would you bother with reprofiled cam??
mcg

posted on 16/5/11 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Would you bother with reprofiled cam??

I have an 8v 2.0L Vauxhaul engine that I will be running fireblade bike carbs on, with standard (old school) 'points' ignition on. I have had the engine running before, but wont really know how good it is until I have had it on the rolling road and the carbs balanced. I have been thinking of getting some reprofiled cams from autosprint in birmingham to boost the power output a little more.

Would you bother?

I have been told that my oldish 8v engine with bike carbs will give approx 130bhp (at best), so I figured an extra 12hp (ish) from reprofiled cams could be good. I'm basically looking at £150 for the cams and followers.

Is replacing them as straight forward as it seems, or am I opening up a can of worms that wont give me noticeable benefit, and cost me un-necessary money??

Discuss....!!!!!

Advice as always is massivley appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

r1_pete

posted on 16/5/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
IMO you would be better putting the money towards upgrading to a 16v engine with electronic ignition, preferably distributorless.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 16/5/11 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
yep, that £150 will easily buy you a vauxhall ecotec, which should be easy enough to swap for your 8v engine.
ecotecs are 130bhp as standard on the injection system, carbs and a better exhaust should give you a decent bit more

not sure how far you are with the 8v, and i'm not sure if its almost a straight swap mounting/bellhousing wise

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

marcjagman

posted on 16/5/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with re profiled cams. You could get an Ecotec as sujested or maybe your like me and prefer the old stuff.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 16/5/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
The old 8V Vauxhall engines are virtually bulletproof - I've seen cambelts snap whilst doing 70mph and not a spot of damage done; just a new belt, re-time and go. They're not the most powerful, but in terms of reliability and durability, I think you'll be hard pushed to find something better....

The 16V engines, (earlier XE/redtop type or latter blacktop/ecotec) will obviously give more power, but I don't know how well they'd last. The redtops produce 150bhp as standard, but most will have been thrashed, and issues such as noisy tappets, pourous head etc. would need to be investigated. The ecotecs only gave circa 130bhp, but (to my knowledge) were less succeptable to the aforementioned issues - an offset to the power issue.

I've had numerous cars with the redtop engine in and loved them all, but I think they're getting a bit dated now, and unless you're prepared to spend money on getting a good, low mileage, unmolested one, or having it rebuilt, then the ecotec would probably be the better choice in this instance.

So if it were me, I'd not bother with the cam and see if you can find an ecotec to upgrade to for similar money. But I suppose it depends on the cost of other bits such as inlet, exhaust etc. and how far you've already gone with the build!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

mcg

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
awsome - thanks everyone.

This build is quite a way through, so I will probably keep it as is, and then after having enjoyed it as is for a while, will probably go for a bigger upgrade in the engine department.

cheers again

matt

laurencedawson

posted on 19/5/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
just to throw another opionion in!!-- £150 sounds pretty good for cams, kits are ususally much more than that,
plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself

les

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.