Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I Think I've Finished (pic heavy)!!
Bumble

posted on 19/5/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I Think I've Finished (pic heavy)!!

Right well I posted off my IVA Application bundle today.......few pics of car attached for comments please. Ignor number plate that's just for positioning of lights and the good old Sierra tractor steering wheel will be on for the test.
Need to do a bit more IVA covering for sharp edges in particular the headlamp bar and the big nut that holds the headlamps on.....any suggestions. Anyway welcome your comments.
Cheers,
Matt

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks splendid!

Couple of things I can see (purely my own opinion though)

The fire extinguisher would probably cause a fail on sharp edges/projections.

You should consider some edging on the passenger footrest.

Are your front indicators far enough out? I can't remember the max distance in from the widest point, but you must consider that the widest point is often the rear wing. Easily fixed with a couple of (ahem) temporary spacers.

[Edited on 19/5/11 by David Jenkins]

tilly819

posted on 19/5/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
looks very nice,

I belive you will require a pad over the center of your wheel unless they have changed it since i did mine you can use velcro to affix it since thats what catheram do apparently and it need to be at least shore hardness 50 (dosnt say that in the book but thats what my tester told me) better safe than sorry

oh and also put ball joint rubber gaiters over your upper wishbone lock nuts were the ball joint screws into them

tilly

sorry missed the bit about the sierra wheel for the test......must learn to read before i open my mouth

[Edited on 19/5/11 by tilly819]

[Edited on 19/5/11 by tilly819]

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

joemotion

posted on 19/5/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice build. What wheels and tyres have you gone for? what size are they as well.

Cheers

Joe

omega0684

posted on 19/5/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
the steering wheel will fail won't it, doesn't it need to have a padded centre?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 19/5/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, where did you get your longacre mirror mounts? Or if you made them do you fancy knocking another set together for a few beers

Car looks awesome.

big_wasa

posted on 19/5/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Seat belt top mount edges. I am sure some have failed on the trim not being permanent.

better with these.

adithorp

posted on 19/5/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good. You've covered (no pun intended) most of the common fails from what I can see.

Front indicators look too far from the widest point. Is the rear fog light vertical? Looks a bit off in the pictures. Fire extinguisher might be a fail on radii; Is it easy to remove on the day? Is the back edge of the aero-screen radiused/trimmed? Centre mirror looks good but not sure about the radii on the mounts. Is the VIN stanped on the off/drivers side?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Bumble

posted on 19/5/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies so far.....very helpful.....keep em coming. What have others done for headlamp bars and the H/lamps nuts??

To clarify points raised so far:

1) Front indicators......I will re-check they meet requirements from widest point of vehicle.
2) The OMP wheel will be replaced by the original padded Sierra wheel.
3) Wheels are OZ 15" tyres Toyo Proxes TR-1 195/50/15
4) Longacre mirror brackets made by me, based on design and help by Dunk3.
5) Wasa....I have some of those belt covers but not happy with the way they fit....I'd have to glue them so I figured gluing the trim looks neater......you can't remove it without destroying it.
6) Fog & Reverse are vertical.
7) Aeroscreen probably needs some trim now that you mention it.....it is radiused but probably not sufficient.
8) For the test I will remove the Fire Extinguisher (2 rivets only)
9) VIN no is machined into 3mm plate and welded to chassis on O/S.

Thanks again.
Matt

rb968

posted on 19/5/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good Matt. I am in the same position but with my IVA on Tuesday at Carlisle. Currently sh1tting myself.

Was in the garage tonight and think I have covered all the recent fail issues mentioned in recent threads apart from the headlight mounts.

I have split nut covers and will tape/tie wrap over the nut under the mount. I have covered the wiring with convoluted tubing so that covers the threads below.

For the headlight mounts, a previous fail thread mentioned u-trim was not good enough and suggested radiusing the plate itself would be accepted. I have tried to do this with dremel and file but not convinced so......

Today I went look for covers and spotted a cover for a towbar electrical socket. I think it might work if split and a hole in the top for the circular mount at the bottom of my headlight. Its spot on size to cover the bracket so will have ago tomorrow night and see. Intend to glue/tie wrap it on.

Electrical cover
Electrical cover

This might be total b0llocks but I think it might work. Otherwise I am a bit stumped and will have to make something. I did think about cutting some rubber sheet to the same size and sandwich the plate between 2 pieces removing the radius issue.

That may not help!

Rich

[Edited on 19/5/11 by rb968]

handyandy

posted on 19/5/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice build indeed

I know it may seem silly but maybe need to round off the allen bolt head on your Longacre mirror mounts ( very nice by the way)

Good luck with the test.

cheers
andy

LBMEFM

posted on 20/5/11 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutely brilliant, one of the nicest builds I have seen. I agree with the comments already given. With regards to the fire extinguisher I would just remove it for the test, and seat belt mounting bolt covers are readily available at scrap yards. Good luck with the test, don't forget to post the result. Barry
Bumble

posted on 20/5/11 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to everyone for the helpful and nice comments!
locostbuyer83

posted on 20/5/11 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
For the headlight mounts, a previous fail thread mentioned u-trim was not good enough and suggested radiusing the plate itself would be accepted. I have tried to do this with dremel and file but not convinced so......

Yes my inspector told me to use a dremel on the headlight mounts. U trim wasn't permanent enough.

I'd recommend using something more permanent on your seat belt mounts to.

Just a quick question, I know the FOG light has to be vertical but does the reverse have to be???

Macbeast

posted on 20/5/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick question, I know the FOG light has to be vertical but does the reverse have to be???

No

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

locostbuyer83

posted on 20/5/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

No

Thanks, thought that was the case.

locostbuyer83

posted on 20/5/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Your car looks great btw. Good luck on your test!
nick205

posted on 20/5/11 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Like that a lot

Some really nice touches like the fuel filler and very tidy scuttle area.

The most obvious issue I can see (3rd pic from bottom) is the angle of the lamps on the rear arches. Even if not an IVA fail it won't help other drivers see you braking and (in my experience) drivers following a nimble little 7 need all the help they can get to see you - particulalrly when you're braking

locostbuyer83

posted on 20/5/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Like that a lot

Some really nice touches like the fuel filler and very tidy scuttle area.

The most obvious issue I can see (3rd pic from bottom) is the angle of the lamps on the rear arches. Even if not an IVA fail it won't help other drivers see you braking and (in my experience) drivers following a nimble little 7 need all the help they can get to see you - particulalrly when you're braking

How about you turn them upside down? Looks like that would do it.

Edit: Maybe not actually. Mine are more like the one you have used for your fog/reverse, so they sit at an angle and project level...

[Edited on 20/5/11 by locostbuyer83]

RedAvon

posted on 20/5/11 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure myself - but do the reflectors have to be vertical? - if they are on the sloping rear wings they won't be.
Ian

locostbuyer83

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedAvon
Not sure myself - but do the reflectors have to be vertical? - if they are on the sloping rear wings they won't be.
Ian

My tester didnt mention about the reflectors and they are on the rear arches about 3" from the botttom

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedAvon
Ian

The reflectors are made up of hundreds of corner reflectors (lots of little angular pits, like bits of cubes). These reflect light back to where it came from, more or less - it's what surveyors use to reflect laser theodolite beams.

So - they can be at a bit of an angle, as long as it's not extreme. It's only the fog light that has to be vertical, to make sure that it doesn't shine straight into the eyes of the driver behind you.

Bumble

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone!!
Promai Joe

posted on 20/5/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
As you have a battery isolation key, do your hazards work independently?
rb968

posted on 20/5/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Had a go at covering the headlight mounts tonight. Need to trim the bottoms of the electrical covers but this is what they look like.

I have rounded the bracket itself but as its only 2/3mm steel plate not sure if the radius is sufficient.

Headlight mount cover1
Headlight mount cover1

Headlight cover3
Headlight cover3

Headlight mount cover2
Headlight mount cover2

Secured with tie wraps as I had to split it.

Still not sure.

Rich

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.