Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where do you buy your metal?
Chaz

posted on 22/5/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Where do you buy your metal?

Hi,

Previously i have bought all my mounts for engine/alternator etc. Now i want to make some of my own and i dont know where to buy the metal. I also want to make an intake plenum for s/charger.

What kind of steel do i need for the engine/ancillaries mounts and what about aluminium for the plenum?

Most importantly, where do you by yours!?

Any help will be greatly received thanks!

Chaz

Benzine

posted on 22/5/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
hey charlie ^_^ for my engine mounts I used 4mm steel to make a box section, then used 6mm steel where the mounts attach to the engine and chassis. Other people often use round tube to make engine mounts, not sure how thick they are, but I'm sure they'd work out lighter, mine are pretty overkill. For ancillaries I'd use 10mm steel

You can see how I made engine mounts here, halfway through one being made.

Welded up:

I used to buy metal from ebay but it's usually overpriced even before postage. I now use a local metal engineering firm who are happy to sell me anything for a really good price, word of mouth is great for finding such places. If you're ever up here and need to stock up on metal give me a shout and I can take you there

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 22/5/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I found an engineering firm near where I was working. I would often nip up there in my break to get bits. Use the same place and get to know the guy behind the counter and you will get a better deal and service.
Chaz

posted on 24/5/11 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have found a brilliant local metal working company. Thanks for the help.

One more question!

What thickness aluminium shall i make a plenum, needs to hold about 7 psi boost?

What about engine ancillaries, is it all guess work or does anyone know of any reading material which can help me out on this?

Thanks

Chaz

posted on 26/5/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bump
Benzine

posted on 26/5/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
from other forums I've looked at people talk about 1/8" ally for the plenum (3.17mm), that's seems like a good thickness to me

I'm not sure what other people use for engine ancillaries, I've used 10mm but I'm not sure what others use, is it for an alternator or a supercharger? I'm guessing the supercharger is going to put a lot more stress on brackets compared to an alternator. Hopefully someone will be along soon with more input...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 26/5/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Minimum 3mm for plenum, any large flat areas need bracing as well. 7psi is a lot over a relatively small area, work it out and allow at least a 50% safety factor.

As for anciliaries, either use 1/4" steel as a mimimum or at least 3/8 aluminium. Aluminium is about 3x less stiff than steel (irrespective of the alloy). Alloys like 6061T6 or HE30 approach the strength of mild steel, but still arent as stiff and will be prone to fatigue if you use anything too thin.

Personally I stick with steel brackets for alternator and supercharger. OK they aren't as 'bling' but you can make them more compact and its easer to work with, if you weld heat treated aluminium you lose all the benefits of using it in the first place unless you re-treat it.

David

[Edited on 26/5/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RACER101

posted on 26/5/11 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have used these guys occasionally:

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC-home.aspx

Not the cheapest place to buy but they sell in small quantities and I found them to be pretty helpful in terms of advice and willingness to cut to your pattern etc. if you can get to one of their branches.

Anyone else used them?

John

Chaz

posted on 26/5/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Great advice thanks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.