Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yet another Ash Cloud :(
Craigman9

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yet another Ash Cloud :(

I work offshore and am due home early next week and I wake up this morning to read about another Ash cloud

I hope this doesn't effect flights for too long, I want to get back to work on my car.............

Might have to think of alternative travel arrangements just incase!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
We've got a holiday in the med booked for 2 weeks time, best they get the damn fans blowing the stuff West

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

scootz

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I see O'bama has come across to see us from the Emerald Isle early because of it!

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Latest aviation update re the cloud, is its currently across the Scottish borders and most of Scotland, expected to move further south through the night.

The North East where I am is not too far off the southern edge of it, once the red section of the map moves south it will be a showstopper. Police/Helimed & Rescue aircraft will be permitted to operate within the danger area, but again why trash your engines unless absolutely essential.

Gas turbines are expensive.

Craigman9

posted on 23/5/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't fill me with any hope

I want to get back to Newcastle too!

mad4x4

posted on 23/5/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Were in Magaluf in two weeks time (past Saturday) we were hit with delays last year as well

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

nick205

posted on 23/5/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Off to Portugal next Tuesday for a week.

No problem getting stuck there, but I have a sinking feeling we won't actually get there

daviep

posted on 23/5/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
My flight to Norway tommorow has been cancelled already, that's after todays flight was cancelled due to high winds

Been a cluster all in all.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Richard Quinn

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well... My ma & pa were out in Sorrento on their hols. A week ago yesterday my dad had a heart attack and was not stable enough to be flown back to the UK. He was supposed to be having a triple bypass op tomorrow but he has atypical pneumonia which is responding to antibiotics so op has been put back a week. They're likely to be out there another 3 weeks or so yet but having done what we can from here my missus has taken a few days off to go out to my mum as she is still in Sorrento as my dad is in Naples. All in all it's been a complete bloody nightmare with their dog still in kennels, the insurance company being a pain, english doctors not communicating with the insurance company, my mum worried about getting cash out there and bills that are due back here. If my missus gets stuck out there now it really will be the icing on the cake!!
james h

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
On the only plus side, it meant that after people had hired cars to travel back home last year, Hertz had a special offer of taking cars back to Spain, France, Germany or Italy... for £1 per day!

So I decided to drive 3 uni friends to Berlin, via the Nurburgring

There was a bit of a hairy moment at Metzgesfeld, I was put off by the chain - seen in this Short video of a rented Zafira four up on the 'ring

locoR1

posted on 24/5/11 at 04:20 AM Reply With Quote
Off to Spain in two weeks, I really hope it doesn't balls things up first the earth quake now this,
will be gutted if it does as this will be mine and my youngest daughters first time flying.

Just thought if my return flights delayed I could miss Newark, now that would be a disaster

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

T66

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Next couple of days worth....

North East & Scotland effected the most.

van cleef

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
We have two inch's of ash cloud here already and the snow shovel is proving ineffective.

On a serious note i'm supposed to be flying to Malta from Edinburgh a week today and trying to convince the wife everything will be fine by then but i'm having serious doubt's myself.

T66

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by van cleef
We have two inch's of ash cloud here already and the snow shovel is proving ineffective.

On a serious note i'm supposed to be flying to Malta from Edinburgh a week today and trying to convince the wife everything will be fine by then but i'm having serious doubt's myself.

As it stands at the moment, Aberdeen is within the blue zone, so will still be operating. Its the red zone which is causing the concerns as its a bit of an unknown quantity, as the weather tends to be...

After last years debacle/blanket ban - operators will be allowed to be operate around the red zones and hopefully effect less travellers/operators.

The plus side is the mad winds we have at the moment, and according to the experts the eruption is on a smaller scale than the last.

Craigman9

posted on 24/5/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I like reading that post, it gives me a little hope
T66

posted on 24/5/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Was chatting with my mate online yesterday, he is a sat diver and was really cheesed off, living in the chamber on the ship bouncing up and down in 6m swells....

No sympathy for him, he earns too much.

which rig you on ?

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/5/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
this is cool, that plume is huge!

linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Craigman9

posted on 24/5/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I work on ships at the moment (anchor handler tug supply to be precise)

Currently working out of Gibraltar with a rig called Noble Homer Ferrington

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.