Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What car is this?
RobLyon

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
What car is this?

The blue one in the middle of the pack at the start?
http://youtu.be/RHcD0UdTYB4

[Edited on 23/5/11 by RobLyon]

Sorted its an eclipse sm1.. looks beautiful

morcus

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a Sylva J15 to me.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jeffw

posted on 23/5/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
It is an Eclipse.

http://eclipsesportscars.com/index.html

andyd

posted on 23/5/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
It is an Eclipse.

I have to say that web site is $h1t3

All very "arty" but no decent pictures of the car! I want to see it whole not just a light cluster etc... 2/10, must do better.

Andy

Yazza54

posted on 23/5/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
It is an Eclipse.

I have to say that web site is $h1t3

All very "arty" but no decent pictures of the car! I want to see it whole not just a light cluster etc... 2/10, must do better.

It's a total home build/design and a very nice one at that, they do need to employ someone to do the website though

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Paul_C

posted on 23/5/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
There were a couple at Stoneliegh. One at the 750MC stand and one outside.
Very nice but probably too track focused for road use.

Liam

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - crap website for something that looks very nice (well it might do - I can't see it). But then again it doesn't look like they're actually trying to sell it??

Noticed this too - Duractec, MTX75, twin chain drive. Qué???

[Edited on 23/5/11 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Yeah - crap website for something that looks very nice (well it might do - I can't see it). But then again it doesn't look like they're actually trying to sell it??

5 speed TRANSVERSE Ford MTX75

jeffw

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I really like it

More picture are here

http://driverszone.co.uk/members/ellbird/gallery/my-galleries/eclipse-sm1

Notice the blue one is road registered.

And some nice video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClKD2XPI3Xs

[Edited on 24/5/11 by jeffw]

probablyleon

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
That's funny, after a trip to Silverstone I posted exactly the same question about exactly the same car, and got exactly the same (correct) answer. Gorgeous innit! I also saw it at Stoneleigh this year and spoke to the 750 mc guy about it. Apparently its not really a commercial venture, just some friends who are building a few for themselves, at least for the foreseeable. Ironic how possibly the prettiest car I've ever seen (from any angle) isn't available (
Liam

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Transverse and MTX75 I get - it must be a middy. It's the twin chain drive I was sondering about. But having now seen full car photos I think I understand. Looks like the transverse engine and box is installed significantly further forward than the rear axle, so the twin chain drives must drive from the gearbox outputs back to the axle line. Seems like a lot of complication and bits to go wrong - wonder why they didn't just make the car shorter or use a longitudinal installation?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 24/5/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Transverse and MTX75 I get - it must be a middy. It's the twin chain drive I was sondering about. But having now seen full car photos I think I understand. Looks like the transverse engine and box is installed significantly further forward than the rear axle, so the twin chain drives must drive from the gearbox outputs back to the axle line. Seems like a lot of complication and bits to go wrong - wonder why they didn't just make the car shorter or use a longitudinal installation?

My thoughts exactly, seems a lot of trouble to reinvent something that already works well.

Ellbird

posted on 25/5/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Eclpise SM1

Hi
I'm peripherally involved in the build of the Eclipse SM1.

Sorry about the web-site - you're right, it IS cr** but we have neither the time nor the skills to do anything about it at the moment (busy building cars) and no funds to pay someone else to do it (building cars is not cheap)! We WILL do something about it, just not quite sure when!

Regs for the 750MC Kit Car Championship, in which the cars race, require that if the car is mid-engined, the engine must be mounted transversely. In order to bring the engine as far forward as possible (weight distribution) and to allow room for suspension and exhaust, we made the decision to use chain drive. So far the chains have been completely reliable - fingers crossed it stays that way!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/5/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I noticed this on the website:

"If you are interested in mould and pattern preparation, similar to that used for the bodywork of this car, or would like information on painting and the finishing of your car, contact:

email: info@silverstonepaint.co.uk"

Are you selling the bodywork seperately? Would love to clad our mid-engined RGB project in that as it looks gorgeous.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ellbird

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
We're not selling anything at the moment - we're so up to our ears in building that we haven't had time to consider sales of any sort. I know this is frustrating a few people - not least us! We've been delighted by the interest shown in the car and the positive comments it has received. If all goes according to plan, the initial build run of 5 cars will be completed this summer and then I hope we'll have time to consider how to progress.

Out of interest, what chassis are you using for your RGB project?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/5/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellbird
Hi
We're not selling anything at the moment - we're so up to our ears in building that we haven't had time to consider sales of any sort. I know this is frustrating a few people - not least us! We've been delighted by the interest shown in the car and the positive comments it has received. If all goes according to plan, the initial build run of 5 cars will be completed this summer and then I hope we'll have time to consider how to progress.

Out of interest, what chassis are you using for your RGB project?

Thats not a problem, we are a while away from completeing the design yet.

It will be all bespoke, an aluminium honeycombe monocoque with a mid mounted bike engine. We were planning to use some pre-made/designed body work to drop over the top and what you have there look superb and is about the right size.

We would be really interested in buying a set at a later date.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
adithorp

posted on 25/5/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The two cars at Stoneleigh looked great... and very low! My only thought was that the rear/engine cover was a very large flat area and to my eyes needed some shape to it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ellbird

posted on 25/5/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, we had to reconsider the strength of the fibre glass across the width of that panel; in design it isn't flat, rather it has "dimples" behind and inboard of the wheels and the exhaust runs underneath. You can probably guess...... the heat from the exhaust weakened the panel (despite heat shielding) and it slumped, losing the contours. We have reinforced that part of the panel on the "rusty" coloured car and are confident that will work.

N.B. Forgive use of non-technical terms or incorrect use of same - I'm the non-technical part of the team!

Liam

posted on 25/5/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellbird
Regs for the 750MC Kit Car Championship, in which the cars race, require that if the car is mid-engined, the engine must be mounted transversely. In order to bring the engine as far forward as possible (weight distribution) and to allow room for suspension and exhaust, we made the decision to use chain drive. So far the chains have been completely reliable - fingers crossed it stays that way!

I see - rules are rules! An innovative way to improve weight distribution and give space for proper suspension with a transverse middy installation then! . I hope the chain drive remains reliable for you. Out of interest is it:

gearbox => chains => driveshafts => hubs

or maybe:

gearbox => driveshafts => chains => hubs?

The former, I guess, if it's double wishbones?

Very nice looking too, now that I've seen the photos.

Good luck

Ellbird

posted on 25/5/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's actually gearbox, driveshafts, chains, hubs. It's not double wishbones at the back, it's deDion beam, because with the chains it's super-light and super-rigid, full adjustable and gives better wheel control than double wishbones. Ok, you could argue about the last point but the 'drive-ability' and grip is the proof!

Incidentally, the car is designed for road use too - 4inches of suspension travel soak up the bumps and give plenty of grip.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.