Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: some interest in my bike from a fellow locoster...
cd.thomson

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
some interest in my bike from a fellow locoster...

What do we think?

quote:

hello,

I found your ad in http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk, that you are selling triumph speed four. but you didn't write the year of motorcycle. instead of that, i am very interested in your motorcycle, however at meantime i am not in UK. so I would arranged some courier to pick up the motorcycle. is it ok for you? due to bigger expenses (because of courier price), could you let motorcycle around 1300pounds?

regards,

--
Zemartas

I believe I'm going to have to accept the payment by cheque/western union and strange things might happen with the money once the bike has left my possession..

I might be completely wrong of course, for which I apologise Zemartas

[Edited on 23/5/11 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Liam

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm. Not exactly the usual format - they normally want to pay you more for the shipping, but this cheeky beggar wants a discount. Might actually be genuine then! Probably at least worth soinding him out for a while, see what payment he expects you to take, etc.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
what would be safe methods of payment Liam?

Craig

Liam

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert I'm afraid - never done a private sale this size anything other than cash in person. Nowt other than a bank transfer or cleared cheque if it was me to be honest. Wouldn't take anything like Paypal to save my life for this sort of transaction, for example.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 23/5/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bank transfers can be reversed.

Cash only for me....

Fozzie

posted on 23/5/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can see.....we do not have a member with that name ....

You do not have to be a member to be able to browse LocostBuilders....so please be aware .....He may not be a member......

Perhaps ask him his site name before you go any further .....

I do not wish to 'wee on your fireworks' so to speak .... but please try and find out a bit more about this person......

Fozzie ..... (Forum sceptic.... )

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

blakep82

posted on 23/5/11 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
As far as I can see.....we do not have a member with that name ....

You do not have to be a member to be able to browse LocostBuilders....so please be aware .....He may not be a member......

Perhaps ask him his site name before you go any further .....

I do not wish to 'wee on your fireworks' so to speak .... but please try and find out a bit more about this person......

Fozzie ..... (Forum sceptic.... )

but unless he's just been looking generally and noticed a thread where craig happens to mention it, if he's not a member (or strictly speaking, not a contributor) he shouldn't be able to see any for sale threads

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fozzie

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
As a non member/non contributor he will be able to see 'for sale' threads that are more than 48 hours old.

It is only the new for sale threads that are less than 48 hours old that are invisible to non members/'new' non contributors/less tha 'x' posts.

You only have to look in the For Sale section to see what is for sale ..... If Zemartas email was before the 20th .....no problem, but if it was after the 20th .....caution is advised ....

Try logging out, and looking in the 'For Sale' section ..you will see what I mean.....

Fozzie

A1

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
id be wary... only accept a bag of cash of electronic transfer. bankers drafts are guaranteed too...
zetec

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
As said cash only. I had a guy "in Germany" trying to sell me a Kart. Advert in Gumtree, said he would ship over, I pay a courier company who hold the money and they will only release my money to the seller when the Kart is delivered. Very convincing with pictures etc. Their business is to con people, they spend a lot of time and effort setting up fake companys and I'm sure they earn a good income. Found the same Kart for sale by 5 different people in other free listing sites .

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

JoelP

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
call me cynical, but i cant believe anyone actually considers this may be genuine? The bad english just sets alarms ringing.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, obviously a scam!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

HowardB

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Sorry, obviously a scam!

+1

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'd walk away

Being a member on here means nothing as far as buying and selling, it's not hard to get on here is it??

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
it's not hard to get on here is it??

they let me on

nick205

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'd walk away

Being a member on here means nothing as far as buying and selling, it's not hard to get on here is it??

Ditto - there are many great members on here, but bottom line unless you meet face to face with cash you just don't know who/what you're dealing with.

Fozzie

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
I'd walk away

Ditto - there are many great members on here, but bottom line unless you meet face to face with cash you just don't know who/what you're dealing with.

It is always wise to check on a buyers/sellers post history on the forum if you are considering doing 'business' with them.......
it makes good sense and should give you a feel for that persons integrity......hence in my first post I asked Craig to find out his user/member name.....

In the OP's case, the person who contacted him does not appear to be a member of this site anyway ......
Surely if it was genuine the person 'Zemartas' would have put his LocostBuilders user name in brackets?

Fozzie

cd.thomson

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I agree that it's not legitimate, hence my posting on here. Quite "clever" though as its not like hes come across the ad on autotrader but a specific member-focused site.

now on ebay though 2002 TRIUMPH SPEED FOUR ORANGE | eBay UK

Cheaper for genuine locosters

eta - thanks fozzie

[Edited on 24/5/11 by cd.thomson]

cd.thomson

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi, Craig,

I found one company, which could pay straight to you on the collection. so is it possible to make a firm deal, do not let motorcycle for others. I need your contacts: phone and address, I will give your contacts to that company and they will contact you to arrange the collection.
thank you.

So strange

Craig

Liam

posted on 24/5/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
call me cynical, but i cant believe anyone actually considers this may be genuine? The bad english just sets alarms ringing.

Because non-english people dont buy things?

So is that from our buddy Zemartas, Craig? How would this courier company pay you? Maybe encourage him to join up on the forum (he hasn't claimed he's already a member, right?) and say hello? Seems still to be every possibility he's genuine to me, but of course continue to exercise extreme caution. Maybe I just live in a happy fantasy world where everyone is trustworthy?

geoff shep

posted on 24/5/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Quite "clever" though as its not like hes come across the ad on autotrader but a specific member-focused site.

Comes up on google quite easily if you try 'triumph speed four for sale'

cd.thomson

posted on 24/5/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think he may actually be genuine

this is the email hes just sent me:

quote:

they are GTV group, which is oriented in motorcycles and cars sales. they are based in Lithuania, where I am stuck at meantime.
yes, they will pay you in cash on collection or if you prefer, I guess, they could transfer money to your account. they asked your contacts, because they want to contact you and arrange all details.
I hope, that now it is a bit clearer.

Googled GTV and could only find lithuanian language mentions, but google translate show theyre mostly forum discussions about using them for buying cars and they get good reviews.

Its a shame that there is so much fraud going on that I can't trust the guy to sell it to him despite reasonable cause to suspect he's being honest.

Craig

blakep82

posted on 24/5/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
i still wouldn't, i'd only sell to someone who could actually come round to see the car/bike. someone who can pay cash on collection. someone where you actually know who they are, and know their face, get some ID if you're unsure, that kind of thing. i wouldn't touch it. not to say its not genuine, but i wouldn't

have you got the link for the page you've seen?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.