Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 5pw Catch Tank
johnny chimpo

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
R1 5pw Catch Tank

Hi guys, i've got a MNR Vortx running a 2003 5pw R1 engine and im looking to fit an oil catch tank. Can anyone advise me on where this should be plumbed into, hopefully with some pics to show me how other people have done there's....

Cheers all....

hobbsy

posted on 25/5/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Are you running the standard airbox or a foam sausage filter?

There is only really one crankcase vent and that's above where the gearbox is (follow a line from the output shaft inwards and you'll find it).

If you're still running the airbox is will have a hose going from this point to the airbox. You'd need to block off the airbox end and run the hose into a catch tank.

Don't have photos to hand sorry but it's fairly obvious when you're looking at the engine.

johnny chimpo

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi hobbsy, i am running the pipercross 600 series airbox and it has the pipe you have described going into it. I thought that was what I would plumb into the catch can, but just wasnt sure if there were any other pipes that would also need plumbed in.

cheers for that....

Any suggestions on where to get a good catch can with a level indicator?

Major Stare

posted on 25/5/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Im running the 5PW with stock airbox and at a recent rolling road session, it was venting a lot from the breather pipe. So im also looking at a catch tank.
But it would be cheaper for me to link the pipe back into the air box.
There's quite a selection of catch tanks on fleeBay.

Jon "FISH"

bassett

posted on 27/5/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have my crankcase venting to atmosphere as i have a sausage filter and have often thought about a catch tank, what are there benifits/draw backs of letting it go back to the airbox?

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

adithorp

posted on 27/5/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
I have my crankcase venting to atmosphere as i have a sausage filter and have often thought about a catch tank, what are there benifits/draw backs of letting it go back to the airbox?

The disadvantage of feeding direct into the airbox is that if you get a lot of oil come up the vent it, goes into the throttles. Best case is a bit of blue smoke. Worst case, hydralic lock and bent rods, etc. Thats happened to a couple of 5vy's.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bassett

posted on 28/5/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of further curiousit is it made more beneficial by the engine being mounted in a car and under different stresses or do bike owners do this too.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.