Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How easy is it to change from Zetec engine to BEC????
jono2020

posted on 24/5/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
How easy is it to change from Zetec engine to BEC????

I wanted to swap my tiger avon's 2.0ltr zetec engine to a BEC. Is it a simple thing to do or will I have to near enough strip the car basics and start again with all components?? Does anyone have a rough kind of price I would be looking at to do that???
blakep82

posted on 24/5/11 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
new engine cradle, electrics, coolant plumbing, fuel system mods, new blouse, new exhaust, new instruments inside, prop shaft, reverse box/electric reverse if you want/need one, diff might be a crap ratio for a bec...

thats just a quick list, of couse each job like coolant plumbing can be broken into a big job.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

James

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
new blouse,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Richard Quinn

posted on 25/5/11 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
Or you could just try doing a deal with someone selling a BEC who may be willing to consider some form of trade. The guy selling Aries Locoblade Bike Engined Kit Car on eBay (end time 04-Jun-11 09:12:11 BST) is quite approachable
DRC INDY 7

posted on 25/5/11 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
when you have removed the zetec the only mod to the electrics is a 13 amp plug socket to power up the hairdrier

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

welderman

posted on 25/5/11 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=90943

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

jossey

posted on 25/5/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
OMG its sooo not easy.

:O)

swap with someone who wants rid of BEC thats easier lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Craigman9

posted on 25/5/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
when you have removed the zetec the only mod to the electrics is a 13 amp plug socket to power up the hairdrier

jase380

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Or have a look at this thread, http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=154398

I put a full list of what it cost me and parts rquired to go from pinto to zx10r

jono2020

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Why are people so against swapping to a BEC?? Iv been in one before and the acceleration difference is amazing.. Is there more to it then??? Reliability??? Not as fun??? More expensive parts to change?? What are the downsides????
daniel mason

posted on 25/5/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
no ones against it but it will cost a lot of money when you break it down
engine £750 - £2,000 ish
exhaust £300 ish
new dials etc £150 ish
reverse box £500
new diff for bec £ 150 ish
new prop £200 ish
engine cradle £no idea
then theres the wiring,plumbing etc you could spend £3.5k easy

jono2020

posted on 26/5/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
3.5k???? I could just sell mine and nearly buy a new one for that... Has anyone on here gone from using a zetec engine or pinto and swapped to BEC??? any down sides? any massive perks. I just want to hear peoples opinions so I can consider making the swap
daniel mason

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
how much were you expecting it to cost? you would need a power commander also if goin injection. another few hundred quid for this!

MikeRJ

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Downsides are having a tiny engine screaming away at a zillion RPM if you want to travel any distance, no reverse gear (unless you fit reverse box or electric reverse) and you need a decently light car to take full advantage of the limited torque they make. Some of the bike engines can be a bit fragile in the gearbox and clutch area when hauling a car along, and some need special sumps or dry sumping to prevent oil surge.

On the plus side they are very light, revvy and you get a sequential box.

You could always fit a decent car engine (i.e. not a Pintosaurus)...

jono2020

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
U say decent engine? Like what?
daniel mason

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
duratec is nice and light.fairly powerful. some are using nissan turbos/saab turbos and making big power, but obviously a fair bit heavier. im using the honda s2000 engine,fairly powerful with around 250 bhp, love to be revved,good gearbox etc. it all depends on cost.

blakep82

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jono2020
Why are people so against swapping to a BEC??

us car engine folk just like ripping on bike engine people, and they like doing the same to us. its natures way
of course, they know we're right, but saying our cars are too heavy makes them feel good, so it balances out

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, I've thought really hard about this and can't think of any downsides when converting to BEC........

Have you seen the sticky thread in this section about converting from CEC to BEC? If not, take a look and stick some prices against the bits you'd need. Deduct the stuff you can sell from your CEC and it probably won't be too expensive. You've obviously been for a spin in a BEC and seen the light, so don't be put off by the CEC boys They like to mention the lack of torque that BECs have but this is a red herring - what they fail to mention is the torque multiplier in the form of a primary reduction gear. Some also prefer the drone of a tractor engine to the tune of a BEC when it's in full voice. Then there's the lack of a reverse gear........ is it really a downside? If you consider it is, they're not too difficult to fit. Lastly, reliability........ I can only speak from our own experience but since building the car, we have never had to replace any clutch or gearbox parts despite doing numerous track days, drag days and over 15,000 road miles, and losing the engine oil on two separate occasions.

Go for it!! You won't regret it........

Phil

tomgregory2000

posted on 26/5/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo power, sr20det
<<<<
<<<<
<<<<

Its the way forward, i can pootle around in 5th gear doing 30 with no probs and then drop it to 2nd and leave everybody behind.

Not one to blow my own trumpet but my car is stuped qick when you want it to be and calm when you dont, i have the best of everything AND i get about 35mpg on the motorway BUT i can get it down to 10mpg when giving it plenty of stick

Johneturbo

posted on 26/5/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a ZZR14 lots of torque so can run low rpm mine will pull like a train from 5,000 and you still have the sequential box
but no reverse, but the 2 years i've been on the road i've not needed to go backward

jono2020

posted on 26/5/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am interested in going down the honda s2000 route if im honest. Iv been in a civic type r with the same engine and its very quick, and heavy. So to put that engine in my light car would be awsome. But then do I just need to swap the engine or do I need to change everything...
franky

posted on 27/5/11 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jono2020
I am interested in going down the honda s2000 route if im honest. Iv been in a civic type r with the same engine and its very quick, and heavy. So to put that engine in my light car would be awsome. But then do I just need to swap the engine or do I need to change everything...

S2000 isn't the same engine, its another 40bhp and 1000rpm

I could also point you in the direction of a m3 engine too, N/A and 320bhp

The sr20det/s2000/m3 were all possible donors on my list, I made my choice on donor cost at the time.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 27/5/11 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Nope, I've thought really hard about this and can't think of any downsides when converting to BEC........

Have you seen the sticky thread in this section about converting from CEC to BEC? If not, take a look and stick some prices against the bits you'd need. Deduct the stuff you can sell from your CEC and it probably won't be too expensive. You've obviously been for a spin in a BEC and seen the light, so don't be put off by the CEC boys They like to mention the lack of torque that BECs have but this is a red herring - what they fail to mention is the torque multiplier in the form of a primary reduction gear. Some also prefer the drone of a tractor engine to the tune of a BEC when it's in full voice. Then there's the lack of a reverse gear........ is it really a downside? If you consider it is, they're not too difficult to fit. Lastly, reliability........ I can only speak from our own experience but since building the car, we have never had to replace any clutch or gearbox parts despite doing numerous track days, drag days and over 15,000 road miles, and losing the engine oil on two separate occasions.

Go for it!! You won't regret it........

Phil

Yes phill you have been lucky with that engine in you're car. The 2 times that the oil filter came loose and chucked all the oil out should have killed it

As for the reverse gear it was funny watching you're old man trying to reverse it with one leg out of the car

[Edited on 5/27/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

[Edited on 5/27/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

rf900rush

posted on 27/5/11 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
I converted Mine from BEC to bigger BEC.
Got a £400 for my old engine and bits.

It cost me £1600 for a fine 2004/5 ZX12R engine from Yorkshine engines.
£30 for a new radiator.
£80 for a header tank.
£250 approx. for a Power comander.
£200 for S/H down pipes.
£100 (approx) for other misc. parts.

So at guess £2000 ish to convert.

If you went for an older engine to start off, it could be possible to do for a couple of hundred.
£300-£500 for a carbed 900-1100 minus what you sell your bit for.
You may only need some plumbing pipes , a pressure reg. for the fuel, and some down pipes.

My old RF900 (96) sold for £200 and 0 to 60 in is, only 0.6secs slower than my ZX12r.

zx12r
zx12r

Also look out for anyone uprading there BEC.
I did not get much more than £400 for all my old bits.

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jono2020

posted on 28/5/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
S2000 isn't the same engine, its another 40bhp and 1000rpm

I could also point you in the direction of a m3 engine too, N/A and 320bhp

The sr20det/s2000/m3 were all possible donors on my list, I made my choice on donor cost at the time.

An M3 engine in a kit car???? Thats insane!!!! I dont know where to even start looking now... I reckon the s2000 engine is sounding the most appealing so far... Just through cost. Where would I find somewhere that I could get the engines from????? I wish I knew more about mechanics.... Maybe now is a good time to learn...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.