Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: POR 15 suppliers
shindha

posted on 27/5/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
POR 15 suppliers

Hello All,
Is there an UK based (cheap) supplier that any body can recommend, I am looking to paint the diff, uprights and anything else with POR 15. The uprights have got paint on them so will need to be stripped.
Are there:
• Any good alternatives
• Methods of application
• Do’s and don’t
I need to be aware of.
All the online talk / videos seem to be quite favourable – but personal experiences would be a better endorsement.
Thanks for looking Shindha

Russell

posted on 27/5/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
POR means Paint Over Rust. If the metal isn't rusty then arguably it's not the best paint to use and it's flippin expensive. Also you need special thinners to clean up after painting. I'd recommend trying Blackfriars QD90, which can give a fantastic finish.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

big_wasa

posted on 27/5/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
• Any good alternatives

Epoxy mastic. Its a two part paint. I wish I had done the whole car with it as the chassis black I used chips if you look at it. I did my roll bar in some simler stuff. It does go along way and seems much more robust.

http://www.rust.co.uk

Bluemoon

posted on 27/5/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Epoxy mastic above looks worth thinking about. I have used in some places a good etch primer (acid #8, nasty stuff, good robust finish though, etch is a good option as it's difficult to media blast the chassis, which would be the best option), and exterior gloss (under coat and top coat), this combination remains flexible and is easy to touch up and cheap, it's not the best but for the money it's good. Have used chassis paint in other places, chips to much, wish I had used the gloss all over!

Dan

shindha

posted on 27/5/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies so far,

The chassis doesn’t need painting its mainly smaller items may be the biggest of them will be the differential and it has a rippled surface (the various casting and strengthening ribs) would like this to have a good finish.

I would particularly like a good smooth hard wearing finish with the minimum of effort, I like all the ideas please keep them coming.

The main reason for choosing POR 15 was for the front uprights as these will be exposed to road salt, grit etc.
Just looking into the QD 90 some forums are saying that it will chip easily – may be this is to do with incorrect application.

Shindha

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/5/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Minimum effort and most long lasting for a sierra diff is to give it a good clean and leave it at that.

The alloy won't corrode and no-one will ever see it.

But paint it if you like.

Matt

iank

posted on 27/5/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
There are two uk suppliers of POR15

Frost Auto Restoration Techniques Limited
Phone - +44 0870-4990144
Fax - +44 01706 860 338
Web - http://www.frost.co.uk/
Email - order@frost.co.uk

United Kingdom Holden Vintage And Classic Ltd.
Phone - +44 1885 488 000
Fax - +44 1885 488 889
Web - http://www.holden.co.uk/
Email - sales@holden.co.uk

POR is very very good IF applied properly to the letter of the instructions (even a single drop of sweat going into the can will ruin it), cut corners and it's no better and much more expensive than the alternatives.
If done properly it needs an angle grinder to get it off. (don't get it on your skin, or you have to wait for it to wear off).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Irony

posted on 27/5/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I use two methods. For a ultratough finish I used Jotun paints Jotomastic 87 with Hardtop Flexi as the top coat. I must admit that it takes ages to do the two coats but once you get in right its absolutely rock hard. Having said that I haven't tested it over a period of years as my car isn't finished.

The second method for smallish items is one of those powder coating systems. Electrostatic magic. The ease of use is dead easy (once you get to grip with the method) and gives a brilliant finish. Alas again I don't know of how long it lasts.

shindha

posted on 27/5/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The second method for smallish items is one of those powder coating systems. Electrostatic magic. The ease of use is dead easy (once you get to grip with the method) and gives a brilliant finish. Alas again I don't know of how long it lasts.

Did look at this kit at Stonleigh a few years back but, don't have a compressor or the space for it - probably wouldn't use it much to make it worth the expense. I even purchased a packet of black powder but never used it for anything and is in the garage with all the other accumulated things for this build.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.