Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MEV Exocet Race Car on track
Sonic7

posted on 28/5/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
MEV Exocet Race Car on track

The First pictures of MEV's all new Exocet Race car on track at 'Castle Combe' in preperation for Mondays Nippon Challenge Race.

nigel

kendo

posted on 28/5/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
It's not what you'd call an attractive car is it?
Nick DV

posted on 28/5/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kendo

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!! It's not that bad!

Sonic, hope all goes well and I'll be at C/Combe on Monday so I'll say hello if I see ya.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Hellfire

posted on 28/5/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
It is Fugly......

Phil

Sonic7

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
quote:
Originally posted by kendo

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!! It's not that bad!

Sonic, hope all goes well and I'll be at C/Combe on Monday so I'll say hello if I see ya.

Cheers, Nick

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make Monday but I’d be very interested to hear how well it stands up to the competition and generally what you think of its track presence.

I realise that its not an all singing, dancing top end racing machine and is very much targeted towards the introduction of low cost wheel to wheel racing, as there marketing info indicates, but I'm seriously considering building one over the winter and competing next year so very interested to see how it goes.

nigel

iank

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Control weight of 860kg? Either it weighs more than I thought or people are going to need passengers to get to race weight.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

SPYDER

posted on 28/5/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Control weight of 860kg?

Probably includes the driver.
Might still require ballast though.

iank

posted on 28/5/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Control weight of 860kg?

Probably includes the driver.
Might still require ballast though.

Yes it includes the driver, but even with a 'generous' 100kg for the driver it's not light.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

thefreak

posted on 28/5/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make Monday but I’d be very interested to hear how well it stands up to the competition and generally what you think of its track presence.

I realise that its not an all singing, dancing top end racing machine and is very much targeted towards the introduction of low cost wheel to wheel racing, as there marketing info indicates, but I'm seriously considering building one over the winter and competing next year so very interested to see how it goes.

nigel

This is our plan too, think we might have to take a trip over to C/C on monday to see what it goes like.

chris mason

posted on 28/5/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Has it posted any lap times anywhere yet?

It's just a guess, but i would imagine in that spec it would be slower round the track than the race mx5's.
With mx5's being very cheap to buy (i bought 2 for under £700 between them) i'm not so sure that the cheapness of the Mev would be a bonus to starting a new race series, surely you could race an original MX5 for the same money?

Sonic7

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I do wonder if were missing the point here, the car has been marketed and designed to be a low-cost introduction into wheel to wheel racing, using an exoskeleton chassis fitted to the standard proven running gear of a MX5 / Mita. Plenty of low cost rusty examples around to act as donors.

By fixing the Series/Race spec at these limits such as a generous control weight of 860kgs its hoped that the use of exotic costly materials will be deemed unnecessary and that more portly drivers will not be so disadvantaged.

For me it provides the open air / cockpit wheel to wheel racing experience at an introductory low level cost, I just have to be convinced that it will provide the necessary thrills.

(Hopefully someone will post a little youtube footage this weekend)

nigel

[Edited on 29/5/11 by Sonic7]

Sonic7

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Has it posted any lap times anywhere yet?.......................

My spy tells me that at Castle Combe, practice laps were about 1.22 (unofficial timed) which is respectable and the race Exocet appeared to be outclassing stripped out MK1 MX5's and had a slight edge on the 2.0 MK3's. Which is not to bad when you consider the car is claimed to be running a completely standard well worn 1.8 with over 100k on it.

Any way I hope to get some you tube footage from the race this weekend so we will all have to weight and see if its any good. Got emailed this very short clip by another ‘Mogger’ sorry MEV Owner Member, car testing yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjMji0uKuM

nigel

Sonic7

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
For an update on todays racing, recent posting over on the MEV Owners Forum www.mevowners.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------

Post by Steve Kilvington (Semi Pro Photo):-

Three very quick edits from Combe today. Horrible weather for driving and photography, so sorry for the poor quality.

I'll post some more when I sort them out properly as a nice bottle of Red is calling at the moment....

Race 1 - Qualified 14th, Finished 9th (I think )

Race 2 - Grid 9th, Finished 16th (Don't know if there was a mishap on Lap 1 but the car arrived with us at least 30 seconds behind last car, very good drive to get to 16th).

-----------------------------------------------

I understand that the Race Exocet started from the pit lane on race 2 ! (not sure why)

nigel

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Its like a missile.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

McLannahan

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Its like a missile.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

I'll get it for you. You're fired....

Sonic7

posted on 10/6/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, little musical I know, but it gives an one an appreciation of the driving conditions on the day, hats of to Jonathon Blake - the Driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPraRF6qLc

nigel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.