Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A few sharp edge questions...
David_17

posted on 29/5/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
A few sharp edge questions...

Hi guys.

My IVA's getting close so I'm currently going over the exterior projections (at the same time as fixing my speedo, fitting a new fuel pump and remapping the engine!!!) Why does everything come at once

Anyhooo..

Any tips on covering these parts...

And is this ok?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Russell

posted on 29/5/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
My car failed SVA the first time round because I used self amalgamating tape on the track rod end lock nuts. It was because it needs to be cut off to adjust the tracking and it's not the sort of solution a volume manufacturer would use. That was in 2004 but I can't imagine the IVA would be more forgiving in this respect.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

russbost

posted on 29/5/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Top pic, the bolt thread you've ringed looks like it's inside the wheel so no need to cover it, the top ball joint some testers would fail, others wouldn't I believe that it would be technically correct to fail it & we use a cable gland shroud split along the bottom with 2 holes thro' it for a cable tie to cover it, which fits the "permanent & serviceable" , requirements, the inside of that thread which you've ringed is within the triangular "box" described by the upper & lower wishbones & therefore shouldn't fail - if you use a cable shroud as I've described above it would probs cover this as well anyway.

The mirror looks too small for IVA & certainly looks as tho'it has a sharp edge, I would fit E marked mirrors for the test.

Bottom pic, yes defo a fail self amalgamting tape doesn't fit the "permanent & serviceable" requirements, again we use a cable gland shroud with a cable tie on the small end to cover the sharp edges & this is readily moveable to check the nuts or make adjustments.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David_17

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

The mirrors are bigger than stated in the IVA manual and have convex glass, so should be ok hopefully. Just I can't think of what to use to give the edge the correct radius.

When you say cable gland, do you mean split conduit type stuff used to cover wires? If so, that's nice and easy to sort.

Cheers

Dave

40inches

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David_17
The mirrors are bigger than stated in the IVA manual and have convex glass, so should be ok hopefully. Just I can't think of what to use to give the edge the correct radius.

Page 265, bottom right, I have used this on my F1 centre mirror, works a treat CBS

iank

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David_17
Thanks for the replies guys.

When you say cable gland, do you mean split conduit type stuff used to cover wires? If so, that's nice and easy to sort.

Cheers

Dave

It's the cable gland shroud you want. Like these but check sizes before buying.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/20s-ip54-gland-kit-int/18738

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David_17

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I knew i could rely on you lot. Top tips once again!

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.