I have but didn't like it
I would not consider a track day

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track days
LBMEFM

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Track days

After speaking to many people this year I am a bit confused. I was asked, along with several other regulars at Lydden Hill if I would like to do some demo laps between the drifters and and displays at this year’s BHP day. Of course I jumped at the chance, I did a similar thing at several events last year. Several thousand people attended with their modified cars. Some really nice guys turned up, although now fast approaching the age of 60 I definitely felt out of place at first but during the day I got talking and they were really nice guys showing off the cruisers, cleverly modified bodywork, impossibly loud ICE's with claims, like I was in my mates Corsa last night and we did 165mph down the M2, some boasting their Peugeot’s had 500bhp 0-60, 3secs, top speed 165mph etc. At Detling this year I spoke to loads of guys who showed their cars, and were much more modest. I am always amazed how professionally built some cars are and how superb they look. The performance claims are much more realistic with some Sevens producing 160-190BHP etc. Rolling road tested, professionally set-up suspension, full role cages etc. What a lot of these guys had in common was the speed and the handling of their cars, but this is the bit that confused me. When I mentioned track days the vast majority said that they would not consider taking their cars onto a race circuit, out of a group of about 45 members from a performance club at Lydden, despite being offered a discounted session for £15 would not go out. I can understand not wanting to damage a car that has cost thousands of pounds to build and a many hours, but if you want to drive them to their full potential and see and feel how they perform, surely there is only one way to do it safely, and that’s on a race circuit. I am interested how you guys feel, please vote above.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by LBMEFM]

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Having had mine on the road its to fast so track only now! rather spend the tax and insurance money on a day, second hand slicks keeps the price down.
LBMEFM

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Same here Mark, see you at Lydden at the end of June?
TimC

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'd only consider a track day for running-in or learning a circuit these days...

Passing on the left, only by consent etc feels very dull once you've been racing or even done a test day.

Therefore I definitely don't understand those that you refer to who won't go on track - the open road is no place for exploring limits.

Hellfire

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I guess it ultimately depends what you've built your vehicle for. Our's was built for fun in the sun at weekends and trackdays, although we don't do as many trackdays as I'd like these days. The adrenaline rush on trackdays is certainly addictive and it gives you a chance to explore your cars capabilities and drive to it's (and your) limits. And sometimes beyond.......

Phil

Antnicuk

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
trackdays all the way for me. I cant explore the limits of mine on the road, and wouldnt want to as I would hate for someone to get injured if i ran out ability......

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The first bunch are just kids, showing off and bragging, but nothing more. Most pay people to do the modifications on their cars, they want a toy that will attract females. Sadly they only attract pubescent boys

The second bunch are enthusiasts, different breed entirely. Knowledgeable, practical, and a lot more fun. Usually have a partner, able to hold a decent conversation about a variety of subjects and so on.

Of course, there are always exceptions to both groups, before I get too much grief

As to track days, many people are just worried about looking daft. Same with all forms of motorsport. Once people have a go, they usually love it, but it is that initial hurdle.

dlatch

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
there is also the "have i bolted it together right" worry with all kit cars
which would lead to many never seeing a trackday.
this is a shame as they really are loads of fun

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyRead

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Having never done a track day,
I am in the process of building a SDR V-Storm for that exact purpose,
It will be road legal but, I would not want to push it to it's limits, or mine on the road as I value my licence too much!
So yes I may look a fool on my first few track days but, at least it will be safe'ish?

Andy

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Lydden 18 June for me

What I should have said earlier on that I did a couple of track days on my bike (old fireblade), the thought of falling off and hurting myself badly scared me which made up my mind to make something track focused with 4 wheels hence little car.

If I had made it a CEC then I am sure road work would be easier and more relaxed, its my lack of self control on the road that is the problem here.

Did think about an old RWD car, but I do not think cost wise you would get near the performance....

Regards Mark

Dopdog

posted on 30/5/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with once you have done a track day there is no turning back. Have taken my car off the road and only track it now and also spend all the money saved on fuel

[Edited on 30/5/11 by Dopdog]

flibble

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Minor hijack, sorry
I've always planned on a trackday at some point but TimC's comment:
quote:

Passing on the left, only by consent etc feels very dull once you've been racing or even done a test day.

Has me a little dubious now. I've done quite a few bike trackdays over the years and enjoyed being able to overtake (or more likely, get overtaken) in a corner, inside, outside, on the brakes, etc. as long as common sense and curtousy were used to make sure no-one was put at risk it made the day all the more enjoyable. Is this not the case on car-days? I guess cars are a lot bigger so less room to play ect, just a bit worried, please assure me that it's still fun!
I also liked the way that on bikes you didn't (and weren't supposed to) worry about anything behind you, more focus for the road in front, I'd hate to be staring in my wingmirrors all day being paranoid that I was holding people up

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Some tracks are controlling, Brands, Cadwell etc, Lydden is the opposite, at the briefing they tell you overtake whenever its safe, if you are an idiot they will pull you.

Either way its still FUN as you go by on the straight bits and if people are bulking you then they get flagged to let you by. Its not a race!

greenwood03

posted on 1/6/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
back to Barrys initial comments about being surprised that few owners seem to want to take their cars on track .....i guess thats just a relative sympton of ownership: How many of these cars actually get driven ( i dont mean 1000 miles a year ), some owners are content to fiddle with the car or take it out once a month if the sun is shining to a local meet, nothing wrong with any of that its what 'floats your boat'.
Personally i like the occasional TD but the last 3 that i was booked on were a pain. 1 was cancelled ( lydden ) due to lack of overall sales - handy when there were 15 of us from SKCC notified about 10 days before the event. Bedford - we lost and hour and a half to fog and then came up against the dreaded drive by sound meter ( having passed the static easily) and the last one at Brands had a few numpties that decided to overtake in the corners. Having had one minor scrape along the pit wall there due to an oil dump by another car i'm mindful of losing my car to a track incident.
Given my time again i'd probably have 2 toys, 1 for track and 1 for the road, because if i lost the car for a period of time due to a track related problem ( my own fault or otherwise ) i'd be gutted. Because my car pleasures come from getting up early before the horse boxes come out and meeting up with pals for a decent run out and a banter over a brekkie.

Given the costs of tracks like Brands it isn't a cheap hobby either which may put some folks off ( open top car weather issues as well), Brands is about £200/210 at this time of year for an open pitlane, throw in some rubber and thats a fair amount of Sunday morning run outs!

With companies like MSV doing taster sessions - you know the 20 mins for £25 it would be interesting to see how many first timers on those rebook a proper session/day within the following 6/12mths. Because as mentioned above by others, i suspect for many it can be addictive.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

Andy D

posted on 1/6/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
My car has been track only for the past few years, and hasn't seen a lot of action recently due to "financial constraints". Trackdays are addictive, in 07 and 08 I must have done 18 to 20 trackdays each year. Hate to think what it all cost, but was worth every penny!
As mentioned previously, half the fun is getting a few mates together, and having a good old chin wag in the paddock.

pajsh

posted on 1/6/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly the Poll is missing an important option.

I did my first Oulton Park Taster Session a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it but I won't be doing full days regularly.

From my point of view there are a number of obstacles that some others may face, although the cost is probably the biggest one.

Firstly I have no trailer so I have to use the car to get there and back which is not ideal if it breaks. This also means that only Oulton Park is a reasonable distance (at 20mpg) as the next nearest at Donington would cost me another £35 in fuel for the round trip. Places like Cadwell and Silverstone are right out.

Secondly Oulton only do full days which is £225 for the day, but also probably a good £70-100 in fuel. I enjoy driving it on the road and it costs me around £350 a year in fixed costs so I could only do 1 day at the expense of many weekends happy motoring.

Finally, as I have no wet weather gear, to lay out over £300 and take a day off work when it could persist with rain dampens, one's enthusiasm to book in the first place. Don't bother so say it's more fun in the wet, it's not.

I had real fun for 20 minutes in my taster session for only £25 with limited risk to myself and the car, discovered more of the cars potential and was comforted that I could drive it home at the end. I will probably book another soon.

With a roof, trailer and maybe some additional drivers to share the cost I would do more but I guess after a while it gets less of a novelty without the thrill of competition.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

loggyboy

posted on 1/6/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Its missing several options, including:

Ive never done one but will jump at the chance the moment I have the time/car to do it in. I know I will love it and will no doubt do more!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.