Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec and oil pressure
Micael

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec and oil pressure

Hi guys,

i have recently change engine from a silvertop to a duratec lump. Yesterday i did pretty hard break test. This little test made the oil pressure to drop. I have a warning lamp and a guage with separate senders. both indicate low oil pressure

I have a raceline wetsump and i checked the oil level before i left home.

Has anyone has the same problem with this sump?

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

MkIndy7

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
No direct help but ours is a home modified one I found on EBay, haven't noticed the light come on or seen the gauge drop under breaking
but tonight I did notice the oil pressure was down to just over 10psi when warm at Idle but did soon rise with the rev's.

Is the warning light sencor the Duratec one? (just incase you'd re-used the zetec one which could come on at a different pressure)

flak monkey

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Idle pressure is quite low on the duratec, IIRC that mine would idle at about 12-14psi with 5w40 fully synthetic oil, which is normal. I can check my datalogs if you like and see what I was getting. I know it was well within spec.

Shouldn't drop under braking though...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't that problem suposed to be prevented by the baffles in the sump.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

FASTdan

posted on 2/6/11 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Any idea what pressure the warning lights come on at?

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
franky

posted on 2/6/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
My engine runs at low pressure compared to some so I rang BMW to see what pressure the switch comes on at after reading about redtops making 60psi at idle.... 7psi for an m3 engine!

Maybe if you rang ford they could tell you?

Micael

posted on 2/6/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Under normal driving i have round 2,6-3 bars (38-43,5 PSI) in oil pressure. idle Pressure is quite low, same as Davids.

I shall check the oil pressure switch today and see if i can get the trigger pressure. I had some trouble to find a good sender and i think i ended upp with an Volvo one so it might be the sender that triggers to "early"

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

FASTdan

posted on 2/6/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ours idles just under 20psi at 80degs oil temp. With a max of 55-60psi at high revs. Thats on semi synth 5-30 I think.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Nitrogeno25

posted on 24/7/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
Ours idles just under 20psi at 80degs oil temp. With a max of 55-60psi at high revs. Thats on semi synth 5-30 I think.

FASTdan I read a lot of sites talking about 85, 90 and 100 psi in the duratec (high revs). Does anybody know what specs is the oil pump relief valve in this engines?

Thanks!

dave r

posted on 24/7/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
mine idles at about 1 bar stinking hot after a good thrash

3 bar driving, and 5 or 6 bar cold

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

pjay

posted on 28/7/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Never had a problem with mine and highly rated by others. If you haven't already done so suggest you give Chris or Pete at Raceline a call - they're very helpfull.
Nitrogeno25

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Today I finished the wiring, put some oil, remove plugs and crank the engine to check the starter. I got some small black particles of carbon from the cylinders (Is this OK from a 10K miles engine?) and got about 30psi of oil pressure. I don't know if this oil pressure is OK while only cranking the engine (5w40 synth oil).

I will try to finish the exhaust this week and try to start the engine

[Edited on 29/7/12 by Nitrogeno25]

FASTdan

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrogeno25
quote:

FASTdan I read a lot of sites talking about 85, 90 and 100 psi in the duratec (high revs). Does anybody know what specs is the oil pump relief valve in this engines?

Thanks!

Thats very high pressure?

I noticed on track (not long before a big end bearing gave up) that ours would sometimes, under extreme hard braking and downshifting, drop to 30psi for a fraction of a second. I am unsure if this slight surge we were experiencing would be enough to have caused the failure - or if the failure was innevitable as we were running stock bearings (that I am told are a known weak point?).

We are just re-assembling now with uprated bearings and further revised baffles.

pjay

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I get similar pressures to FASTdan.

Not necessarily relevant but Chris at Raceline recommended 10w40 - especially for track use.

FASTdan

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjay

Not necessarily relevant but Chris at Raceline recommended 10w40 - especially for track use.

What about under harsh braking - any pressure drop at all? And what sump set-up?

Thanks for the raceline info - I think we were running whatever the std spec duratec oil is (possibly 5-30?).

We were seeing oil temps of 105degs on track after about 6 laps of blyton - no oil cooler (next mod!).

redeye

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys

Ive been reading this thread with interest since Ive just got my duratec started and have been looking to see if it is running ok.

My first concern is with the oil pressure, It is running much higher than I would have expected but then I havent really let the car get up to proper temp yet.

From cold the pressure gauge is reading approx 4.5 bar but then drops to about 3.5 as it gets a little warmer

How long would you expect it to take the engine oil to reach operating temp when sitting at idle?

I plan to start it tonight and leave it running for a while to see if the pressure drops anymore, hopefully it is just because i havent let it get hot enough yet.

The next thing is that it seems to be very smokey and smells quite a bit,

The engine was taken apart and looked to be in very good condition.
new valve stem seals were fitted along with cleaning up the head and pistons, hopefully I havent cocked something up

My old pinto used to burn oil like mad and smoke a lot too so its possible that there is a large amount of crap built up in the exhaust, Im hoping this may be the reason for the smell and the smoke.

The engine is only running on a base map at the moment too so is it possible it will be running to rich? again creating more smoke than normal?

FASTdan

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about your high pressure (4.5 bar idle at cold doesnt seem unreasonable) - cold oil runs much higher than hot. I'd expect 15 minutes idle before you were up to 80degs (often the temp for quoted oil pressures). Oil warms slower than coolant generally so you cant rely on coolant gauge temps (which might only take 5-10mins to be up at 80degs).

Is your smoke black (fuel) or blue (oil)?

[Edited on 31/7/12 by FASTdan]

redeye

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

Thats good, Ill leave it running for a good 20-30 mins tonight and see what the oil pressure does.

I cant tell what the coolent temp is at the moment because my gauge isnt working for some reason (another thing to sort out)

The smoke is definitely very black....and sooty

FASTdan

posted on 31/7/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redeye
Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

Thats good, Ill leave it running for a good 20-30 mins tonight and see what the oil pressure does.

I cant tell what the coolent temp is at the moment because my gauge isnt working for some reason (another thing to sort out)

The smoke is definitely very black....and sooty

Sounds like that base map might be the problem then? You dont have a wideband lambda you can check it with?

redeye

posted on 31/7/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
hopefully that is the case, I dont have any kind of lambda installed.

I have a boss that a narrow band lambda can be fitted to , but the guys who will be mapping the engine for me advised me that I wouldnt need it.

I could try plugging the ecu in tonight and playing about with the settings.

But I think ill just wait until its on the rolling road.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 31/7/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I had that problem. Mine was running much to rich and hence the smoke. A session of the R/R sorted it nicely.

Mark

Tiger Avon

pjay

posted on 31/7/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pjay

What about under harsh braking - any pressure drop at all? And what sump set-up?

Thanks for the raceline info - I think we were running whatever the std spec duratec oil is (possibly 5-30?).

We were seeing oil temps of 105degs on track after about 6 laps of blyton - no oil cooler (next mod!).

No problems under heavy braking (all be it road only). Raceline sump which has very good pedigree. The standard spec oil is as you say would be 5w30 but 10w40 recommended.

[Edited on 31/7/12 by pjay]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.