Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec or red top
whitstella

posted on 5/6/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
zetec or red top

hi just wondering which is the preffered engine out of the zetec and the vaux red top. and what are the pros and con of each cheers

steve.

cd.thomson

posted on 5/6/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
zetec is a slightly newer engine, comes in a variety of flavours. it's easy to convert the cheaper, lower spec engines to the 130ps version with relatively little difficulty/outlay and there are plenty of after market parts. Whichever engine you choose itll probably be cheaper than a redtop and theres loads of them if you ever need to swap the engine out because you've blown it up.

redtops come ready made to be higher output than your zetecs with around 150ps straight away. They're also tough engines so you don't have to worry excessively about slightly higher mileage/older engines as they tend to last well. Again loads of aftermarket and plenty of experience with the engine means more power is easy to come by and a big exhaust and carbs may see you get 175hp at the flywheel no problem (if you believe the vauxhall tuners like SBD). Some caution is needed for the conversion, as youll need to invest in a variety of drivetrain frankenstein parts to get it all hooked up (type 9 is the easiest option). The engines are also rarer and more expensive due to increased demand from the corsa converting boys.

Also if you fit a redtop you need to fork out for the ridiculously expensive SBD nylon oil pressure release valve as they stick open and nuke your engine. Its happened to me at IVA (i realised before it did any obvious damage) and to a couple of other builders of very nice redtop cars on here.

I run a redtop, but i like the zetecs too.

omega0684

posted on 5/6/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
NIETHER GO PINTO!

i'll get me coat!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 5/6/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I put a zetec in my jago, because it was free and the MT75 offered an easy RWD option.

I wouldnt do another one, not for free and not if you paid me.

Redtop on the other hand I had in a corsa, nice engine, well designed, simple wiring....

My Build Thread

macc man

posted on 5/6/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends what you intend to do with the car. For all out power red top is best, but zetecs are cheap as chips and an easy conversion. How deep are your pockets?

stevegough

posted on 5/6/11 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I second what Craig (cd.thompson) has said - his comments are right on the nail - but I would also say that in addition to the oil pressure relief valve (which are a rediculous £60 from SBD motorsport for a bit of plastic) the other weak point and something to watch for on the red top is the fact that the alloy cylinder heads can become porous - leading to water in the oil and vice versa.

Having said that, once you are set up with it, it is a cracking engine.

In support of the Zetec, you can get a brand new one for just £740 from GBS (kit parts direct) (aka robin hood) and then tune it up - but that's when you can start to shell out quite some considerable money.

new zetec

But, if you are building on a budget and want the horses - Red top gives 150bhp without resorting to spending £1000+ on engine management / throttle bodies / bike carbs etc.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.