Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Fail advice please
SJC

posted on 6/6/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Fail advice please

Hi

Took car (Luego Velocity XT) to Gillingham for it first test, failed so now have a list.

I have tried using search facility but does not appear to be working like it used to???

Couple point i would like some advice on.

The adjustment of the top mushrooms to improve the self centering, i think i have the washers in the correct place on the wishbones but can not find where people put the top ball joint. Any advice would be great.

Also failed on handbrake compensation and efficicency, i am using powerlight handbrake calipers with the smart pads, i have read all different things about what pads to use to improve efficiency of the HB.

The copmpensation part, i used the rally design cable that goes throu the bottom of the handbrake and he faid it on 'Compensation device not of a suitable nature' Any pictures or advice on what other people have done would be great.

Finally on the manufacturers plate, just to check they require the chassis manufacture and model (Luego Velocity XT) then the chassis number, and then the total weight and axle weight. Are these the figures that went on the IVA form I.E 500kg 500kg then 1000kg?? Any advice of example would be great.

Many thanks for any advice pictures etc.

Regards
Stuart

wylliezx9r

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mushrooms should be @ 12 oclock looking fwd. Best of luck with the retest. Sorry but can't help with anything else, sounds like you did ok though.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

ashg

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
not too bad

who was the tester Andy or Neil?

if it was me i would ditch the rear setup in favor of sierra or golf items willwood and highspec have always seem to have issues passing handbrake efficiency without faffing about, its a shame really as they are spot on for normal driving conditions.

stevegough

posted on 6/6/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJC
Hi

Took car (Luego Velocity XT) to Gillingham for it first test, failed so now have a list.

I have tried using search facility but does not appear to be working like it used to???

Couple point i would like some advice on.

The adjustment of the top mushrooms to improve the self centering, i think i have the washers in the correct place on the wishbones but can not find where people put the top ball joint. Any advice would be great.
if you have a problem with self - centering, you need to adjust the castor angle - as you say, the mushroom is the only way you can adjust this without altering the welding of the suspension brackets is to turn the mushroom. the mounting hole is off - centre, so as you rotate it, it will tilt the castor angle, to improve the self - centreing, you need to have the pivitol axis (around which the wheel turns when you steer) to tilt further back. One other cause - the upper wishbones have one arm very slightly longer than the other, and if you have fitted them incorrectly, this will also affect the self - centering

Also failed on handbrake compensation and efficicency, i am using powerlight handbrake calipers with the smart pads, i have read all different things about what pads to use to improve efficiency of the HB.

The copmpensation part, i used the rally design cable that goes throu the bottom of the handbrake and he faid it on 'Compensation device not of a suitable nature' Any pictures or advice on what other people have done would be great.
[color=Blue]In the velocity build manual, there is an instruction about how to provide compensation -
Description
Description
This is exactly how I did mine though I did snap one cable off when I arrived at the test centre! (1 of 12 fail points)
handbrake compensator + link
handbrake compensator + link
We could do with a photo of your set up to see if we can help you with your layout.[/color]

Finally on the manufacturers plate, just to check they require the chassis manufacture and model (Luego Velocity XT) then the chassis number, and then the total weight and axle weight. Are these the figures that went on the IVA form I.E 500kg 500kg then 1000kg?? Any advice of example would be great.

your plate needs the manufacturer (Luego) name and the VIN stamped on it. You do not need to put the design weights on the car at all. (Design weights for mine were 550Front 500 rear 1050 total - they are only needed on the application form. Have you stamped the VIN under the bonnet on the RHS? - I failed because I stamped mine under the nosecone.

Description
Description

Many thanks for any advice pictures etc.

Regards
Stuart

Well done with the short fail list and Good luck with the retest.

[Edited on 6/6/11 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

snapper

posted on 6/6/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
There are a couple of other tricks to try as well, pump front tyres up to 30psi, dial in a bit of toe out, not how you want to drive the car in anger but will give the desired effect for IVA.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

locostbuyer83

posted on 6/6/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
heres a pic of my chassis plate (its a sticker)

edit: Of course I also have a plate welded on the chassis with the number stamped on.

[Edited on 6/6/11 by locostbuyer83]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 6/6/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locostbuyer83

edit: Of course I also have a plate welded on the chassis with the number stamped on.

Manufacturer is MK

Model Indy

bit naughty putting stuart lane as manufacturer as all you did was asemble the kit not manufacture the kit

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

locostbuyer83

posted on 6/6/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
quote:
Originally posted by locostbuyer83

Manufacturer is MK

Model Indy

bit naughty putting stuart lane as manufacturer as all you did was asemble the kit not manufacture the kit

Yeah but to be fair they only supplied the chassis and body. Got through IVA with it.

ali f27

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have powerlite hand brake calipers and have had to make some mods Had great advice from Adithorp and thank him very much didn,t do exactly the same but same idea works great now
Ali

SJC

posted on 12/6/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thans for your replies,

I had Andy testing the car.

Going to swap back to the original hanbrake lever and fit the compensator that is on that.

Re test booked for the 24th so fingers crossed....

Cheers
Stuart

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.