Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I.O.M TT - Today
Surrey Dave

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I.O.M TT - Today

Sadly another rider ,Derek Brien was killed today in the I.O.M Supersport race, the incident was at Gorse Lea, out of interest I had a look to see where that section was ,I came up with this offical video of that section, it is truly terrifying to watch and you need little imagination to foresee the consequences of an error.

Gorse Lea

Best wishes and condolences to his family and friends

[Edited on 6/6/11 by Surrey Dave]

jacko

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Too fast for me
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
much as I love bike racing, I think it's time to call it a day for the IOM TT.

I just can't justify people dying every year in the name of 'sport' - the price is too high in my opinion.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

jacko

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

I just can't justify people dying every year in the name of 'sport' - the price is too high in my opinion.

I agree with you Mark but they know the Dangers when they go there to race
Very sad day for all concerned

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:

I agree with you Mark but they know the Dangers when they go there to race
Very sad day for all concerned

Sometimes as a society we have to protect people from themselves.....

Jasper

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got really missed feelings about it now. I love watching it, the most exciting motor racing of all. But three people dead in one week, I'm not sure if I want to watch it any more. It's fine saying the riders are taking their own risks.

But it's the families they leave behind that gives me such a bad feeling. Their kids aren't making the choice and now they'll grow up without a dad. You can't tell me that's worth racing for is it?

I think it's time to call it a day and stick to track racing.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Wadders

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but i think your wrong, If you call time the TT just because a small number of competitors die, where does it all end.
I'm sure each and every entrant is fully aware of the risks involved before they sign up.
Leave it up to the individual to decide if they want to take part.
A lot of things are dangerous, thats part of the reason we like to do them.

Al.

Wadders

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Joey Dunlop 26 times TT winner died on a race track.....

]Originally posted by Jasper
I've got really missed feelings about it now. I love watching it, the most exciting motor racing of all. But three people dead in one week, I'm not sure if I want to watch it any more. It's fine saying the riders are taking their own risks.

But it's the families they leave behind that gives me such a bad feeling. Their kids aren't making the choice and now they'll grow up without a dad. You can't tell me that's worth racing for is it?

I think it's time to call it a day and stick to track racing.

Wadders

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thin end of the wedge that is.... How long before no one is allowed out of doors, just in case they get wet.
Without events like the TT society is lost.... maybe society should make everyone take up knitting

quote:

mookaloid

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Thin end of the wedge that is.... How long before no one is allowed out of doors, just in case they get wet.
Without events like the TT society is lost.... maybe society should make everyone take up knitting

quote:

well we could always go the other way and dispense with speed limits..... stop banning recreational drugs...... making it perfectly legal to play chicken on railway tracks in front of high speed trains..... etc. etc. these are all things that you could apply the same argument to - they are all things that you could say that it is up to the individual and they understand the risks.

I'm not a politician and I don't make - or want to make the rules for that matter - I just think that the IOM TT is just the wrong side of a fine line for me.

I whole heartedly agree with your signature though

Wadders

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think breaking the law can be cited as an example, i fully agree society needs laws to maintain some order, however when it comes to recreation and sport, an individual should be allowed to assess the risks involved and decide if they want to compete or not.

If the TT is stopped, just because members of society who have no connection to the sport decide it's too dangerous, where does it end, plenty of people die climbing mountains, yet plenty more take up mountaineering, should that be banned too..... and the list goes on..... Boxing... Horse racing.....etc etc.

Fair enough if the riders start complaining, then maybe it should be looked at.... but to my knowledge no competitors have said they would like the TT to end.

As for the sig....you should have seen her when she used to bounce ..I think that was stopped by society...

Al.

]Originally posted by mookaloid

well we could always go the other way and dispense with speed limits..... stop banning recreational drugs...... making it perfectly legal to play chicken on railway tracks in front of high speed trains..... etc. etc. these are all things that you could apply the same argument to - they are all things that you could say that it is up to the individual and they understand the risks.

I'm not a politician and I don't make - or want to make the rules for that matter - I just think that the IOM TT is just the wrong side of a fine line for me.

scootz

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Joey Dunlop 26 times TT winner died on a race track.....

Nope... it was a street circuit.

He died when he struck a tree on this bend...

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As for the sig....you should have seen her when she used to bounce ..I think that was stopped by society...

Al.

]Originally posted by mookaloid

I remember the bouncy avatar very fondly

But I was referring to your Yorkshire signature along the bottom of your posts

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Would have to stop people joining the army and fighting for our country too, as you can die doing that job.

Banning the TT is (in my humble opinion) a ridiculous thing and to say that his family will suffer because of it is a relatively silly notion. You don't know if the guy was a nightmare to be around if he wasn't on a bike for example...

These people do it for a reason - Yes they are very brave to be flat-out when on the 600's but they are not being petty/frivolous with their lives. They are not going there to die - they are going there to do something that they have to do.

The mountain climbing analogy/comparison is a good one. People will not be stopped "adventuring" because of associated dangers. Is it because as a past time it was done by less common people? And therefore, the lowlier person that is the motorbike rider "need looking after"?

A few years ago, Nine people died in one week at the TT. This is a very bad thing, but it should not be stopped for these occasions alone.

If I had half a chance, I'd be racing there this week...

MkII

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with wadders on this one .Ive been involved in various motorsports for the last 25 years and in that time have had several friends/fellow competitors who have lost thier lives to the sport they love. you cant just ban something because its dangerous, for many people who participate in these events its what they live for. .m.
Yazza54

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah let's ban it and deny these men the right to do what they love.

They know the risks and it doesn't matter whether you can justify it or not, they can. That's what matters. If you don't like it dont watch it.

Sorry but fed up of hearing critics pipe up, it'd be a tragedy of it was cancelled.

I think anyone who doesn't 'get it' needs to go to understand the TT races.

[Edited on 6/6/11 by Yazza54]

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

mediabloke

posted on 6/6/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe off to a slight tangent, but does anyone remember this?
Clicky linky

Did any of us read this and then jump to conclude that cars should no longer be built by individuals, but should be built solely by major corporates with every piece of safety equipment available? Perhaps we should question our reason why.

Was this because we are able to think for ourselves; to weigh the costs of getting things wrong against the joys of getting them right? Good drive on a good day = joy of life.

How many LCBs choose to do that which we enjoy despite the risks and their cost? Is removing everything in the world that's dangerous an essential ingredient in making balanced, free-thinking individuals? I know my thoughts...

I understand the viewpoint that we should stop another family's heartache, but can't bring myself to impose my fears on the things that they enjoy. In the words of Paul Dobbs' widow: "he died doing what he most loved, in a place he felt at home and surrounded by people he admired." As a now-single mother with 2 children, I think it's she who is best-qualified to decide.

[Edited on 6/6/11 by mediabloke]

Andy B

posted on 6/6/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I agree wholeheartedly with Steve and Wadders comments. The TT no longer counts as a championship round of any form therefore the only reason to race it is because it is the ultimate challenge in this chosen form of motorsport. I raced it in 1999 on an F2 sidecar and would still be doing it now if it wasnt for the injuries I sustained on my return racing on a normal circuit.
I think it is one of things where you have to be actively involved in it to truly understand it. My brother, for instance, climbs mountains all over the world and is currently planning another Everest trip, whilst I have never understood the draw of being cold, suffering altitude sickness and risking life and limb halfway up a mountain, I do recognise the passion he has for the sport as it was the same for me with sidecars.
Interestingly enough during my career whilst there were deaths at the TT, I lost more friends on short circuits.

[Edited on 6/6/11 by Andy B]

mediabloke

posted on 6/6/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
I agree wholeheartedly with Steve and Wadders comments.

+1 for Steve, Wadders and yourself, Andy.

No offence meant, but I can't be okay with a society that claims to protect people from themselves. Too short a hop from "Society didn't think for me".

bj928

posted on 6/6/11 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
my friend is there as a passenger on an F1 sidecar, think its the F1 anyway, but he couldn't wait to get out there and be part of it, he works hard long hours so he can be part of it, as do alot of the people racing, from what i can tell, most the people racing pay for it out of their own pocket, i now my mate does, so that must show that they want to be there and know the risks not some big company making them go because its in their contract!!
JF

posted on 7/6/11 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote here that you should never ban an event like the IOM TT dew to some unfortunate deaths. If these deaths would stop riders from entering it would die out on its own. But it doesn't.

If, and I say if you want to take action against these accidents. Then maybe you should investigate the circumstances and see if you can lower the risks. If for instance 1 bend in particular causes many serious accidents, then maybe you could alter it. Maybe the bend itself, or maybe the place where the rider tends to end up. It's seldomly the impact with the ground that causes the major injuries, it's usualy what they hit after that...

So yes my vote is on keep on racing. And if needed make it a bit safer here and there, but be careful that the IOM stays true.

Richard Quinn

posted on 7/6/11 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
Barry Sheene never raced there despite being put under a bit of pressure to do so. He thought that the TT racers were all a little mad. Maybe there is an element of truth in that but these people go to the IOM to race not to die. Sure there is a risk but if you consider that there is some rudimentary safety plus the fact that no one should pull out of a side road in front of you in their car or come round a blind bend over the white lines then. I've lost two mates to biking. Both were non-fault accidents involving other vehicles. In neither case was speed considered to be a contributory factor. Neither of these would have ridden in the TT (or even done Mad Sunday) as they thought it was too dangerous.
We're not throwing these people to the lions. They are not obliged to do this and it would be interesting (if a little morbid) to know how many other bikers are killed or injured in the whole of the UK during the same week. Perhaps bikes should be done away with all together eh?

JoelP

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
whatever you think, its unlikely to last long.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Alfa145

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sorry in todays crappy society Knitting wouldn't be allowed as it has sharp points you might accidently stick in your eye or someone elses eye so it has been banned too.

This countrys gone Health and Safety crazy. Soon pens will have big round nibs instead of a point and a door will have nice rubber edging trim on it incase you bang your head on it, pathetic. People learn by their mistakes, if it hurts last time you're less likely to do it again. How soon before learning to ride a bike is only done with safety mat padding on the pavement?....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.