Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parking Ticket Help
Hellfire

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Parking Ticket Help

Our old man parked the Indy in a pay & display car park the other day whilst he went to do a bit of shopping. Paid for the parking ticket from the ticket machine but as it wasn't the self adhesive type, he couldn't/didn't display it anywhere on the Indy, so stuck it in his pocket. He came back to find he had received a £50 parking fine. On arriving home, he then wrote a letter and sent the ticket to the local council explaining why he didn't display the ticket. They accepted that he had paid for the parking ticket but not displayed it in the vehicle, so sent a letter back rejecting the appeal but offered to reduce the fine to £25 on the grounds that the ticket should have been displayed in a tamperproof holder

Should he refuse to pay the £25 fine? Anybody else been in this situation and able to offer advice?

Phil

RichardK

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest, does the ticket say afix to windscreen, because if you don't have a windscreen then you have no way of complying with their own instructions?

Just a thought

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
What the hell is a tamperproof holder? Nothing is tamperproof when its in an open top car.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
he could argue that there were no tamper proof holders made available... but it is a pay and display, and he would have known that. i guess their thinking is, the ticket he's sent them may have been from another car there, that he could have 'borrowed' from someone else? i don't know, but i think you'll struggle to get it sorted. councils parking people are a bunch of pillocks

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Just out of interest, does the ticket say afix to windscreen, because if you don't have a windscreen then you have no way of complying with their own instructions?

Just a thought

Rich

Unfortunately he returned the ticket with the letter he wrote. However, as it didn't have an adhesive backing, I'd doubt if it mentioned 'afix to windscreen'

My thoughts are that the council are on the back foot as they've already offered to reduce the fine to £25, so I reckon they might drop the fine altogether with a bit of persuasion. The person who issued the parking fine didn't write down the make and model of the vehicle as he couldn't determine it. He also must have been colour blind because he couldn't determine the colour either.

Just out of curiosity, how could a motorbike display this kind of parking ticket?

Phil

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
he could argue that there were no tamper proof holders made available... but it is a pay and display, and he would have known that. i guess their thinking is, the ticket he's sent them may have been from another car there, that he could have 'borrowed' from someone else? i don't know, but i think you'll struggle to get it sorted. councils parking people are a bunch of pillocks

Bit harsh! I suspect the "borrowing another ticket" is exactly the reason they are not writing the whole thing off. Some carparks ask for the first part of your reg no when you buy a ticket, which is actually a good idea (as long as you can remember it when you buy the ticket!) as it means they can check you have got a ticket.

However in this case I would write it off to experience. The other option is to appeal it I presume to court, but the costs/grief more than outweighs the £25.

Now, tamperproof holder?? Worth asking what they suggest for that for future reference. Next best is gaffer tape I suppose.

So I am not being helpful, shame it was a council carpark.

matt_claydon

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bikes don't usually pay for parking, although some councils are apparently introducing it. I guess they will use mobile phone payment where you give the full reg number so nothing has to be displayed.
RichardK

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar ticket but as it was a works van I hadnt bothered getting a ticket just put a note on my windscreen saying I was delivering etc, any way I got this ticket and on the ticket he described it as white when it a metalic silver so I argued that if he couldn't even determine the colour how could he be relied upon to see a small ticket on the dash?

Got away with it with a letter saying not to do it again bla bla

R

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Did they not return the ticket/evidence, you'll need it if you want to go to court?? I would ask for it back to, knowing that they've already binned it.

AndyW

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Pay and put it down to experience.
JoelP

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
how about a letter simply stating that you dont intend to pay unless a judge orders you to do so? Thats what i did following a dispute with a local council, where they wanted £400 out of me. I heard nothing back from them. I doubt a debt collection company will be interested in taking it on, since its only £25 and disputed with reasonable chance of not being upheld in court. You wouldnt get a ccj even if it went against you in court, if you pay immediately.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hellfire

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The annoying thing is that the person who issued the ticket can clearly see that there is no secure way to display the ticket in this kind of vehicle. If the ticket had been displayed, it could easily have blown away or been stolen = £50 fine. By keeping the ticket in his pocket, at least we can now challenge the fine. Had our old man known that the ticket didn't have an adhesive backing, he probably wouldn't have parked there in the first place.

I reckon we have a good chance to appeal.....

Phil

mad-butcher

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Our parking wardens have cameras and take a photo, which proves you were there but in your case it might have worked in your favour.

tony

afj

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would ask for the ticket back as its yours and you paid for it and tell them point blank that you will not pay the fine we had a similar situation where we paid the council to remove our old shed we paid by chq £30 but the lazy sods only took the sides and left the roof and floor panel so we canceled the chq and got a snotty letter from them demanding payment or court action we told them we paid for a service which you didnt carry out so we are keeping the money firmly in our bank not yours never heard anything back

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

scootz

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
FWIW, I agree that the fine should be waived, but it's a tad harsh to have a go at the guy who issued the ticket.

As far as he (or she) is concerned it's still a car parked in a space without a ticket on display.

It's Evolution Baby!

swanny

posted on 9/6/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
i'd pay the fine on the condition that they can supply you with a place to buy an approved type of tamper proof holder.
if they cant agree on what a tamper proof holder looks like they can hardly expect you to use one.
might be handy info for all of us too.

paul

montythemole

posted on 9/6/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
If it's proper council then pay up as they do have powers. If it's one of these dime a dozen pretend lot then ignore it as I always do.

They'd argue you found a way to affix your tax disc (presume bike style holder) so just buy another for your parking ticket.

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

MkIndy7

posted on 9/6/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
There's no way you should pay!
Even tickets with a sticky back I always take a photo or too showing the ticket was displayed and then closer up on the details with my phone.
These un-sticky tickets cause me no end of grief in the Van, no nice flat surfaces to put them on and if the apprentice slams the door they get blown onto the floor!.

When we first finished the car like 8 years ago I emailed NCP to ask them how we should display a ticket and they were very helpful, with advice along the lines of take a picture of the ticket, (I think for motorcycles you get 2 tickets one to display and 1 to keep) or keep the ticket with you and contest it with a copy of this email and all charges will be dropped.

Until a suitable holder is provided or available for purchase they cannot use that against you.

Maybe try speaking to somebody there or Citizens Advice maybe even somebody like the AA might be able to advise.

Brook_lands

posted on 9/6/11 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
As this is a council ticket you must take it seriously and anyone who advises you to simply not pay is giving you very bad advice. The £25 is the discount rate for quick payment offered to everyone, it then goes up. It may only be £25 now but councils can and do pursue and the cost of this, court cost, baliffs etc is added on, before you know it it will be £500+ and they will be taking your car away.

However, if done properly they can be fought and won. Get yourself onto http://forums.pepipoo.com/ and get some good advice if you really want to fight it.

PS - Speculative invoices from private companies dressed up to look like parking fines can and should be ignored.

02GF74

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I would fight it - the ticket was purchased but was not possible to display securely. Concil sould provide free secure ticket holders.

(the photo idea isgood one)

BenB

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also fight it on the basis that it comes down to intention. The intention was not to avoid buying the ticket. The intention was to secure the ticket in such a way (IE in the pocket) that when it was claimed one had not been bought it could be demonstrated that it had (which is exactly what has happened). If you left an unsticky ticket in an open top car it would not be there when you got back and there would be no proof of a ticket being purchased to defend the claim.
matt_gsxr

posted on 9/6/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
next time, put it in the window and take a photo with your camera phone.

It isn't your fault if someone steals it.

Matt

ps. just pay this time

tony-devon

posted on 9/6/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
bikes usually dont have to pay, my trikes go in a car space, and so I pay, but cant put the ticket on the trike, nowhere to put it, and it would just blow away

I emailed the council and they wrote back saying that in my case I should purchase a ticket, keep it with me and just send it in with any penalty notices should I get one.

sods law I never did get a ticket, I guess the warden must have looked at it and thought, WTF!! LOL

I would deffo take the route of photographing it in the window of the car when you get one next time, because in my opinion, if a photo of the car without it on show is sufficient to say you didnt have one, then a photo of one in the car is sufficient to proove that you did.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

DRC INDY 7

posted on 9/6/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is keith does not have a camera phone and if he did would not know how to use it
McLannahan

posted on 9/6/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
And he'd have nowhere to keep the phone in his shorts!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.