Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wireless Router HELP PLEASE
AndyW

posted on 10/6/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless Router HELP PLEASE

Right, as there is always an answer on here that works, here's one for you.

I have Virgin broadband with a modem wired straight into the back of my pc via an ethernet cable. I asked virgin to give me wireless so the WII works and the wifes kindle etc. Virgin want £80 for some sort of super hub dilythion crystal chamber!

Or I can pay them £60 for a wireless netgear router which they now tell me they dont sell anymore?!

I have a brand new Netgear wireless router which I have obtained from somewhere, so the quetion is how on earth do I get it working so that my computer stays wired in and I then have a wireless connection to use on the laptop, WII, kindle etc.

Here is the modem thing

Here is the netgear router

Back of router

I also have a collection of network/ethernet cables in blue and yellow.

Please can someone help as wireless was never needed before and now it is, I would like the "locost" option of using what I have rather than giving kit car money to virgin.

All help appreciated..

Andy

flibble

posted on 10/6/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick and rough guess off the top of my head:
Plug from one of the yellow (1,2,3 or 4) jacks to your ethernet port on your pc.
Type http://192.168.0.1 (I think) into your address bar on internet explorer/firefox etc, that should connect you to the router password screen.

Usually User=admin, password = "admin", or maybe "password"?

Setup any connection details in there, you'll have to have a look around in the options, I forget whats in there
You'll end up with a WEP key (long password) or somesuch that you use to give permission to things like Wii's etc for wireless connections

All the above could well be wrong!

Davey D

posted on 10/6/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
That Netgear box you have is an ADSL modem/router. Depending on your existing box you may, or may not be able to use it for what you want. It is designed to be a 1 box solution for people with broadband via a phone line

First you need to check if your Virgin box acts as a router, and gives you a private IP address ie soething like 192.168.0.x or 10.0.0.x . Or if it just passes through the External IP address to you computer. ie something 212.159.122.91.

if you are in windows click start > run, or hold the windows key, and press R to get a run box. Next type in cmd and press Enter. you should then get a black command window. In there type in ipconfig and then press enter. you will then get your IP address displayed. depending on what version of windows you have, and how many networkable devices your computer has will determine how much info you get back. The address you have here will depend on if you can use that box or not. here is why:

Because that box is designed for ADSL over a phone line the External address will be obtained by the modem ( the phone line port on the box) and then the router will pass that through to a private network address from one of the 4 yellow ports.

If your virgin box only passes through the external address, then you wont be able to use the router function of the Netgear box to be able to use multiple devices on the network.

If your virgin box does give you an private IP address, then you will also need to check if it has a DHCP funtion, and will assign addresses automatically to your devices. You will need to go into the settings of the netgear box and give it an address in the same range. i.e you virgin box may be 192.168.1.1 give your netgear box 192.168.1.2

Finally if your virgin box has DHCP server functionality, then you need to turn it off on the netgear box so as not to get any conflicting addresses

AndyW

posted on 10/6/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like this router wont work

Any idea's to an alternative which will give my system wireless? Is there some sort of adapter I can buy and plug in to transmit a wireless signal??

Im not giving in and giving Virgin £80, would rather cancel the package....

stevebubs

posted on 10/6/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191548

Order before 8 and you'll have it tomorrow with express delivery

[Edited on 10/6/11 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 10/6/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively, if you want High Street, PCWorld and Argos sell this:

BELKIN F6D4230uk4

About £30...

AndyW

posted on 10/6/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks stevebubs, just spoke to pc world and they recommended the belkin for 29.99.

Just so I understand this, I would then take the ethernet cable from my existing moden into the wireless, hard wire the pc into it and all other laptops, wii's kindles etc can use the wireless?

Im a bit slow with these things!!!

stevebubs

posted on 10/6/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes...spot on....
AndyW

posted on 10/6/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks...... there is hope for me yet!!!
dmac

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

have you tried following the instructions from Davey D? looking at the picture of the back of the netgear router it should be able to be set up as he describes, the default IP address, username and password are all printed there. Netgear routers are usually very configurable but the interface is not very user friendly, if you can't get it to work can you get someone more computer literate to visit to set it up.

The other way it might work is to replace the virgin broadband router with the netgear one, check on the virgin site for the settings required or search the web, if it is possible then someone will have done it and posted about it.

Duncan

The Venom Project

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Right, as there is always an answer on here that works, here's one for you.

I have Virgin broadband with a modem wired straight into the back of my pc via an ethernet cable. I asked virgin to give me wireless so the WII works and the wifes kindle etc. Virgin want £80 for some sort of super hub dilythion crystal chamber!

Or I can pay them £60 for a wireless netgear router which they now tell me they dont sell anymore?!

I have a brand new Netgear wireless router which I have obtained from somewhere, so the quetion is how on earth do I get it working so that my computer stays wired in and I then have a wireless connection to use on the laptop, WII, kindle etc.

Here is the modem thing

Here is the netgear router

Back of router

I also have a collection of network/ethernet cables in blue and yellow.

Please can someone help as wireless was never needed before and now it is, I would like the "locost" option of using what I have rather than giving kit car money to virgin.

All help appreciated..

Andy

If your on Virgin you can only use a DSL router not ADSL, the ADSL router you have is for the BT phone lined systems, the DSL router combines different technology, but you can still buy a really good Netgear or Linksys DSL router wireless for about £50.

An ADSL Router comprises of an all in one solution for the internet with modem built in, unless you have one of the most up to date WIFI Routers from Virgin, the chances are you will have a Cable Modem from Virgin, and it will use a separate router from which the CAT 5 cable will plug from your modem into the dedicated WLAN port, then the 4 other ports are just standard 10/100 Cat 5 connections to connect 4 wired computers and anything else on WIFI.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

AndyW

posted on 10/6/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Now Im totally lost,

All this speak of adsl and dsl and cat5 means absolutley nothing. If that router wont work, and it appears it wont, I can just buy a simple wireless router as previously mentioned and plug and play. Thanks for all the reply's, hopefully will be wireless tomorrow with a new £30 router!!

Davey D

posted on 11/6/11 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
The above post about virgin and DSL vs ADSL is incorrect. Being on virgin with that box means you are using a coax cable connection into your box.

Generally home users dont use what is normally know as DSL they use ADSL which is a form of DSL but the initial A stands for Asynchronous meaning your up and down speeds are different, where DSL has matching up and down speed which is something very large enterprise companes might use. Adsl/dsl uses a phone line connection.

Edit to add: Cat5 is the network cable from your box to your computer

The device you are wanting is a broadband router, and not a modem router which is used on phonelines

[Edited on 11/6/11 by Davey D]

AndyW

posted on 11/6/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Davey D

so will the one in the link below work?

pc world linky

RichardK

posted on 11/6/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
This what Virgin supplied me as well as a virgin modem when I switched from sky a Dlink DIR615
D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Cable Broadband Router | eBay UK
New Page 1

Dunno if this will help? At least if you ever have to ring Virgin they will be able to support you??

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyW

posted on 11/6/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks rich
Davey D

posted on 11/6/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Thanks Davey D

so will the one in the link below work?

pc world linky

that looks like it should do the job

keljon

posted on 21/6/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keljon

keljon - if you're trying to build up your posting score then you've picked a very annoying way of doing it!

(I seen his posts in other places, just the same...)

[Edited on 21/6/11 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.