Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital Cameras
j3w3ll3r

posted on 19/6/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Digital Cameras

Hiya

I saw the earlier post RE: 35mm cameras

I am considering a new Digital SLR and looking at the Canon EOS 1100D and Nikon D3100

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or other recommendations

Planing to start with Body plus standard 28-55mm zoom or Similar and then purchase a longer lens

I have no compatible lenses so will be starting from scratch, im no photographer but I like the feel of the SLRs

I also may have a Panasonic DCS FZ18 for sale

cheers

Stephen

PS im leaning towards the Nikon

[Edited on 19/6/11 by j3w3ll3r]

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 19/6/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Photography is all about the Glass (lenses) so go with the Nikon 3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens and then if you want a longer lens go for the 55-300 VR AF-S

Nikon's kit lens is one of the best kit lenses around!

twybrow

posted on 20/6/11 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Save up and go for the 550D - it is an amazing camera!
ashg

posted on 20/6/11 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
if you just want a camera and dont plan to buy any more lenses get the nikon as the kit lens with it is better than the cannon. if you plan to buy a couple of lenses then get the cannon as the aftermarket lenses are a fair bit cheeper than the nikon and just as good.

if you can stretch to it i would go for a cannon eos 600d with an efs-17-85 lens. its a much better setup but its a fair bit more money.

what i will say is the canon menu system is a lot better than the nikon one if you are just starting out.

this picture my dog below was taken on my 600d with the kit 18-55 lens just so you can get an idea of what is achievable on a kit canon lens.

the picture below i took on the 600d with the 17-85 lens of a plant in the garden. i dont know if you can see it on the resized images here but the second one is a fair bit sharper due to the better optics on the 17-85

if you want some nice pictures comparing the kit and non kit lenses u2u me ur email and i will send over some non resized examples

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

j3w3ll3r

posted on 20/6/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

I went along to my local Camera world today to have a look and play about with the various models

I think I have ruled out the 1100d, but have ruled in many more (expensive) models, so I think I will bide my time and see what happens

cheers

Stephen

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

ashg

posted on 21/6/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
the 1100d is a pretty good starter camera but if you get really into photography you will very quickly out grow it. you would do much better buying a 500d 550d or a 600d they are all a class above the 1100d

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

MikeFellows

posted on 21/6/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
I moved to SLR around 5 years ago with a 30D and the 18-55 kit

the thing i learned pretty quickly was the lens that came with the kit was rubbish, buy body only and buy a decent lens

my 30D and all my lenses got stolen, so treat myself the the 60D a few months ago.

j3w3ll3r

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Right,

I have been having a good look at the EOS 500, Its a bit more than i wanted to spend (£400) but seems to have all the right bits, my only concern is that the model is 2 years old and has been superseded by the 550 although it is still a current model

Also there seem to be a good selection of 500s on Ebay some with added lenses and bits

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

j3w3ll3r

posted on 29/6/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All

Right think I have decided on this?,

I have seen the following used kit on what appears to be a very reputable website (not fleebay), will be used for general photos plus holidays and photographing the Westy sideways (well backwards but hey ho)

EOS 500D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II ( or for £30 more Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

All for about £540.00

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Cheers

Stephen

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.