Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laws on parking a commercial vehicle in a residential street
Jasper

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Laws on parking a commercial vehicle in a residential street

There's always on isn't there

I live in a nice quiet crescent where we know most of the neighbours who are very nice. About a year ago a guy moved in across the road with a huge caravan and a number of large people carriers for all his kids. He's the only one in the street who regularly parks on the verges as well, even though there's no need to as most people keep there cars in their own drives and the street is relatively clear.

He's now taken to parking his large transit sized commercial van with a big softsided back right outside my house, even though he could park it outside his own, which is adjacent.

Yesterday I saw him outside his house and nicely asked if he could park it elsewhere. Unsuprisingly he just gave me the brush off.

Now, I don't want to get into a neighbour war as it's just not worth the stress, and he's a builder a looks like he could handle himself!

So the question is, is he allowed to park a commercial vehicle like that on a small residential street on a regular basis? Years ago now when I worked for my dad driving vans we parked one on a large residential street in a layby, and not outside someones front door, for 2 nights and got a note from the council to move it.

In the meantime I'll just park my own car there - kinda defeats the object of the £6k I just spent on a new drive though.

[Edited on 20/6/11 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

r1_pete

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know about commercials, but most newish estates have clauses in the deeds preventing the keeping of caravans on the property.

So would be worth checking your deeds.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Caravans are fine, we've got a few in my street including mine! It's not an estate, just a regular 1930's street.

designer

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think it depends on the size, and type, of the commercial vehicle.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
This is just like it, except it's got a canvas back.

van
van

hughpinder

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming that its a public road, and iirc, the police used the fact that you aren't allowed to park on the public highway for more than 2 hours at a time to break the blockades during the fuel protests a few years ago. I'm not sure about that though.

Regards
Hugh

balidey

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need to forget about 'laws'. They never seem to work in your favour.
Best option is friendly chat.
Thats obviously not worked, so perhaps you can speak to other neighbours, see how they feel and ask them to speak to him. If he gets a few 'complaints' then maybe he will act on it.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

j3w3ll3r

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I had the exact same problem

my next door neighbor returned home from work before me and parked hi topped transit outside my house everyday, I spoke with him and he was not interested. I then spoke with the council and the Police and neither where interested as there was no law against parking a legal vehicle on the public road,

Things escalated quickly with said neighbor and the end result was me either moving or having a holiday at her Majesty's request

So i Moved, best thing I ever did (I recently found out he also moved and lives a couple of miles down the road )

[Edited on 20/6/11 by j3w3ll3r]

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

Jasper

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - that's what I was worried about - yet we had our van moved on by the police 20 years ago, maybe becuase it was in a smart affluent village

Anyway, I can get home before him, so I'll just stick my car there for a while.

I know the other neighbours are pissed off with him too, so maybe a joint letter is in order. I have spoken to him in the past and he was always friendly enough.

Davg

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you are feeling flush hire a dropside & park it outside his door for a few days!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

nick205

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Could you install an ornamental feature (big rocks, planters, tree etc.) outside your house to keep him off the verges?

Our street is generally pretty good on this front, apart from the police man living at the end of the street who insists on parking in the road outsid his house, not on his perfectly good driveway. He's not parked illegally (I've checked), but certainly inconsiderately

graememk

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
time to organise a lcb bbq, and we'll take turns parking outside his house...
j3w3ll3r

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
When i had all my aggro going on, a member of my golf club had a Truck used for lifting cars off red routes, he offered to pop round and put his Van in his front garden during the night (which was 100% walled except for a single gate", we considered this and every other single option of retaliation, but decided which ever path we chose would lead directly back to us instantly

Thats why we upped sticks and moved

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Get your neighbours to park their cars on the road and not the drives, maybe if the road fills up, he'll have to park on another road.

Logistically though, you don't have a chance.

I looked at this thread because I have a neighbour who parks him HGV outside his house 2 doors down, I've emailed the council but they say he's not doing anything wrong, I'm not so sure.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
There's no laws as far as I know in regards to this. I have 2 back street car dealers in the street facing mine and used to have a mechanic. They all take to parking several cars on my road and facing my house so it gets busy and if I get any visitors they have trouble parking. I just have to live with the fact that they won't use there own drives or park outside their houses and try and stop my dad parking outside theirs to avoid any antagonising. They'll move on soon.
stevebubs

posted on 20/6/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Nope nothing you can do. Our quiet close didn't have a problem parking until the house in the corner was rented by a bunch of people who own an ironing business.

I would say that most of the time, they have 4 cars parked around on the road of the close, only leaving room for 1 other resident.

Illegal? No. Inconsiderate and selfish? Certainly...

karlak

posted on 20/6/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would have a word with the local roads council department. I know that outside our house we have a grass verge which cannot be parked on, anyone doing so can be ticketed and/or towed.

Unfortunately it does seem to be very dependant on the area and situation. The other angle is a saftey aspect.. When it is parked there does it hinder access to and from a driveway etc. Could a small child riding a cycle be missed because the van is causing an obstrcution ?

As has been said an amicable solution is best allround, but generally if someone is that pig ignorant to inconvenience another person in the first place, it usually will mean they have very little concern or respect for that person when approached

If there is not a law or such like on where he is parking, I think that parking another vehicle in its place is the answer here. Let him go and find somewhere else to dump it.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Jasper

posted on 20/6/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I think some of you may have misread the post. He's not parking the van on my verge, just in the road. He tends to park his own cars on his own verge.

After asking him yesterday not to park infront of my house I'm going to leave the space clear today just to see if he parks it there after giving him 24hr to think about it. If he does then he's a complete knob and I'll be rallying the rest of the neighbours. Hopefully he'll want to keep the peace and park it somewhere else. It's not his van but a company courier van, so I may also call his work and mention it to them.

Humbug

posted on 20/6/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Assuming that its a public road, and iirc, the police used the fact that you aren't allowed to park on the public highway for more than 2 hours at a time to break the blockades during the fuel protests a few years ago. I'm not sure about that though.

Regards
Hugh

That doesn't sound right - it would mean that people who haven't got driveways and have to leave their car on the road are breaking the law? Or does it relate to A roads or something? I've never heard of it - I thought that apart from some roads (Motorways, signposted clearways) you could park for as long as you like unless there is a specific restriction (meters, bays, yellow lines, etc.)

Just found this bit of the Highway Code here and it doesn't mention a time limit. It does have loads of stuff that I thought had disappeared e.g. under Parking at night: "All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h)."

[Edited on 20.06.2011 by Humbug]

designer

posted on 20/6/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There's no laws as far as I know in regards to this. I have 2 back street car dealers in the street facing mine and used to have a mechanic. They all take to parking several cars on my road and facing my house so it gets busy and if I get any visitors they have trouble parking. I just have to live with the fact that they won't use there own drives or park outside their houses and try and stop my dad parking outside theirs to avoid any antagonising. They'll move on soon.

I know that this is wrong as a mate of mine had cars for sale on the street and somebody complained and the wardens came and donated a parking ticket to each car, then called back once a week to check. You are not allowed to carry out a car business from home, or to display cars on the highway.

jacko

posted on 20/6/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
If he's not parking across your drive think your self lucky
that's what they do around where i live some times if the road is full

j3w3ll3r

posted on 20/6/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Its also not illegal to park over a Drop Kerb if there is no car in the garden, a drop kerb does not entitle u to a parking space outside your house

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

Jon Ison

posted on 20/6/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
only skim read so may have been mentioned, I recall some law about goods vehicles requiring parking lights at night over a certain weight limit, maybe wrong, worth a google.

Never an easy situation when neighbours just dont give a toss, you feel in the wrong even though they morally are, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable at home.

Ninehigh

posted on 20/6/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by j3w3ll3r
Its also not illegal to park over a Drop Kerb if there is no car in the garden, a drop kerb does not entitle u to a parking space outside your house

But it is illegal to block someone's access..

Yep sounds like he's doing nothing (really) wrong, time to undo his dustcaps early in the morning and put a small stone in them so by the time he gets to his site they're flat

off-road-ham

posted on 20/6/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I would check put the unladen weight of the van.
Section "250" from the above link

"Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights."

I would think that van has a kerb weight over 1525kg thus he would have to leave his lights on.

from what I can find on a quick search is a swb chassis cab is a minimum of 1545kg, and a body on the back will weight more.
Thus from the above section he should park with sidelights on. that willcause problems for him

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.