Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for advice - Full Windscreen and Adjustable Seats
edfielduk

posted on 21/6/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for advice - Full Windscreen and Adjustable Seats

Hi All

I've recently acquired a well built example of a Zetec powered Avon and looking to make a few enhancements, including adding a full windscreen and an adjustable drivers seat.

I'm looking for your advice and feedback on your experience of using Tiger's own versions of these two items, or perhaps any other makes you can recommend in particular for the Avon.

The sort of things that would be helpful could be around ease of fitting, build quality, usability, overall cost etc.

I look forward to meeting some of your at one of the up-and-coming Tiger events (probably Southern Area as I'm based near Reading)!

Many thanks for your help.

Ed

edspurrier

posted on 21/6/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ed
Don't have adjustable seats in mine, but did run the Tiger windscreen until we started racing.
Tiger do a heated windscreen which is a neat solution to demisting. Use a timer relay and it's easy to fit. But it isn't all that tall - if you're 6 foot you will probably find the top of the windscreen is exactly at eye level and that's fairly annoying.
Wipers - get the adjustable blades from Europa, much easier fit.

TBH, for motorway driving the windscreen is fairly ineffective. I do quite like having it fitted for short drives to town and around the country, but even with it fitted for motorway or longer drives a helmet helps with the buffeting and noise.
Cheers
Ed

andy350z

posted on 21/6/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had the full screen on my avon to start with but changed to aeroscreen as the top of screen was right in my eyeline Ed says. Adding runners to seat will lift you up further and make it worse unless your short.
edfielduk

posted on 21/6/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both for the prompt reply.

It sounds like the standard Tiger fit windscreen comes at a pretty inconvenient height (I'm slightly under 6 foot but can imagine the top of the frame is still in view regardless).

Presumably there will still quite a bit of wind felt with full screen but without side screens. Do either of you have any experience of the the sidescreen setup as well?

Good point with the runners lifting the height of the seat. Tying that back with a fairly low windscreen I can see the result not been worth the hassle and so stick to using a helmet. I have read some posts about custom made 'taller' screens for the Avon. Perhaps that should also be an option to explore.

On the seat option, do you know if the lightweight plastic seats sit any lower and could be attached to runners?

Thanks again for the advice.

All the best, Ed

studon

posted on 22/6/11 at 04:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I am 6" and had to have my seat fixed right to the back bulkhead to have enough legroom.

I fitted an aeroscreen to mine and have also been in a full screened version. The aeroscreen provides far less buffeting. The full screen will mean you will be staring at the frame due to its unfortunate positioning if you are 6" tall.

Stu

David Jenkins

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by studon
I am 6" and had to have my seat fixed right to the back bulkhead to have enough legroom.

If you are six inches tall I'm surprised that you can even reach the pedals with the seat right forward...

(I'll get my coat...)

studon

posted on 22/6/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ha ha good point!! yeah Im normally driving Corgi car these days!!

Sorry 6ft!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.