Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home made sump
off-road-ham

posted on 22/6/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Home made sump

I am at the stage of fitting my fireblade engine and am now looking at the sump.

The posts I have read through talk about either modifing the exsisting one or buying a billet sump for many ££££.

I don'tt have the spare cash for fork out several hundred on a billet and can't reweld the ally original.

So I was thinking of making one out of sheet steel as is done on car engines. I can weld steel.

This is afterall a Locost site and I am looking to save money for the "IVA".
Also would it be better to have a steel sump that can bend rather the an ally the would probably brake if hit
when driveing down the road and running over someone elses debry.

Thanks in advance for replys, please feal free to tell me if I am wrong (not unlikley).

Thanks Tony

macc man

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not chop and weld the original alloy sump. Lots of guys on here may be able to help you.

mark chandler

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Chopped the bottom off of mine, had to shorten the oil bypass return and pickup so cost nowt.

The hard/boring bit is cutting the sump in half as you knaw your way through it becomes very weak.

Probally someone local to you who will weld it for a few tokens on here, if not provided you cover postage I do not mind sorting it out.

So cut it down, shape a ali plate to weld to the hole and generate an ask on here.

Regards Mark

stevegough

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, its not difficult to weld steel. The trick is to weld it well! Pinholes are very difficult to seal up. And a leaky sump is very annoying - both to you and anyone you visit! Of course, you may be a very good welder, in which case, you can ignore me!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

SausageArm

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Chopped the bottom off of mine, had to shorten the oil bypass return and pickup so cost nowt.

Mark, do you have any photos of your shortened sump? Is it for a 2005 onwards Fireblade 1000 RR ?

The reason I ask is that my friend is building a Mac#1 with this engine in and he needs a shorter sump for it, would be nice to see what you came up with.

mark chandler

posted on 22/6/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
893/919 engine, it had a lump like a slice of cheese on the bottom, I just looked at some pictures of billet sumps and mounted then engine with the lump hanging down.

Marker pen around the outside so the cut was flush to the floor then produced my hacksaw.

I did try milling one down, it proved very hard to hold still and cracked, should have screwed it to a lump of wood then milled.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.