Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost homebrew
van cleef

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Locost homebrew

Right i was in my attic the other day and came across the Homebrew kit my wife got me a good few years back which i have never used.

I'm gonna give a serious go but i want to do something a little different after tasting some rank homebrew's before.

Just wondering if there are any of you out there with any experience of what to try and what to avoid and the best suggestion might get a free sample in the post.

BenB

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
What gear have you got? If you've got enough gear to boil the full volume of liquor I'd use an unhopped malt extract and manually add hops. If you can't do this and you're going for a hopped extract beer (which most beers are) it's at least worth getting some aroma hops and bunging them in when you're boiling your concentrate to add some nice aromas. One of the main problems with kits is they use a hopped malt extract which you then boil destroying any subtle flavours and driving off the nice beery (IE hopy) aromas. The other thing to do is to throw away the rubbish yeast the kits come with and get some "proper" brewers yeast. If in doubt something like a Nottingham yeast is a good average.
And it's worth boiling any water you use as it drives off chloramines that make your beer taste quite nasty and phenoly. If you live in a hard water area this will also reduce your waters alkalinity (usually a good thing though it does depend on the type of beer you're making).

That's why kit homebrew tastes grotty. Rubbish yeast (so high alcohol, no depth of flavour), little in the way of aroma (ie it tastes vaguely beery but smells rubbish) and a slightly wierd aftertaste (usually chloramines from the water supply).

.... and whatever you do don't bung extra sugar in to make it stronger (because stronger is better- right?) you'll end up with something really weak insipid but prone to causing terrible hangovers

van cleef

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have 2 big 5 gallon barrel type container's but with no instruction's but to be honest i'm not that clued up.

I just need an idea so i go and do it and end up with something that is uter crap.

rayward

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
do you like cider ?

if so do a google search for "turbo hybrid cider"

basically its cheap apple juice (mine was asda smart price !) a 15g pkt of yeast, ferment in a bucket for a week or so and leave for a while.

i made the mistake of adding a little sugar to mine and it came out at 8.2% abv

Ray

BenB

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd strongly recommend reading "the art of brewing". Available free from the internet. Gives step by step instructions for extract only brews, extract with hops and full-mash brews. A good book- infact so good I got the hard copy.
MikeR

posted on 27/6/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I like cider ....... this could be dangerous (As I was thinking - how do you make a nice cider as i read this).
skodaman

posted on 27/6/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
The last few homebrews I've done I used Reverse Osmosis water = around 95% pure water. Makes quite a difference.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
van cleef

posted on 28/6/11 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thank's for the replie's.

Now Cider sound's like a good one so it's now that or Beer.

Theoreticaly could make a Cider from most fruit juice's which also seem's interesting and is there a way of measuring the alcohol content of your homemade potion.

mad4x4

posted on 28/6/11 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
We started with thisLinky Last year. Had good results

Basic instructions :

Sterilies everything !

Boil 2 Liters of water

Add 1 KG sugar

Add in Tin of this

Add in yeast included in tin (melt yeast in some hot water & sugar first)

Top up to 5 Gallons with cold water

Keep at 27deg C for 1 -2 Weeks ( I use a only fishtank heater.)

Transfer to bottles trying not to take sediment

add 1/4 tsp of sugar to each Bootle and cap. You will need 20-30 Bulmers bottles and a Capper Bottle Capper & Crown Caps Capping Tops Homebrew NEW | eBay UK

Keep bottles warm (not hot) Wait another couple of Weeks, until bottles clear, then chill & serve

Enjoy.

I started the 3rd Batch on Monday night.... so about 1 month for production.

davidinhull

posted on 28/6/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I brew wine from excess fruit friends grow, turns out good.
I also brew beer. Best are mashed yourself from malted grains, but I would suggest that's not a wise starting point.
For easy summer beers, I buy the cheapest lager kit I can, boil with the recommend amount of sugar and as much water as my (v large) pan will hold. Add to the brew bucket with your selection if fruit. Raspberry worked well, cherry and also root ginger is excellent, but I have been known to have too much ginger, which was interested.
These make cheap easy refreshing summer beers

David

MikeR

posted on 28/6/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
finland / sweeden are you inspiration here, they make ciders out of all sorts. One of my lasting memories was pineapple cider.

quote:
Originally posted by van cleef

Theoreticaly could make a Cider from most fruit juice's which also seem's interesting and is there a way of measuring the alcohol content of your homemade potion.

davidinhull

posted on 28/6/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by van cleef

You'll need a hydrometer, drop it in the brew before adding yeast and again just before bottling - there is then a formula to work out the alcohol content - unhelpfully I don't know it
Most hydrometers are marked with an expected alcohol content when you take the first reading that assumes you get full sugar to alcohol conversion, but the end reading tells you if you have residual sugar and is more accurate ( if you find the formula - I'll have a look tomorrow, see if it's in one of my brew books)

D

[Edited on 28/6/11 by davidinhull]

davidinhull

posted on 28/6/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Try

(OG-FG)/7.5=ABV

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.