Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW problems cont...
blakep82

posted on 12/7/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
BMW problems cont...

ok, so following on from when my BMW 328 had a split air intake and wouldn't run, kept cutting out etc, i replaced the air intake, sealed up the pipe to the idle control valve, it ran fine when cold, got up to temperature, then cut out, struggled to restart and wouldn't accelerate well until it reached 3000rpm, then it would be alright.

so took it all apart, sprayed the air sensor and icv with carb cleaner, and now it drives perfectly! pulls better than ever, but now my radiator has started to leak really losing the plot with everythig this week, got no patience for anything now, the car's on its last legs, and i know whet the proper answer is, but i'm not spending out for a new radiator...

northern radiators have them at £63+vat, which, to be fair is pretty cheap really, but is about £62 more than i've got. i've bought 2nd hand ones in the past, they last a few years, this was a 2nd hand one from someone on here about 2/3 years ago, it seems to be leaking from the join between the aluminium and plastic, where its all crimped together.

is there anything (i'm thinking araldite for example) which will sort of flow into the gaps between the plastic and metal, and set rock hard withstanding the pressure and heat?

MOT due in the next week or two, after that i want rid, but i've got no money for a new car

any ideas?

[Edited on 12/7/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 12/7/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can use a wide variety of epoxy & PU adhesives and silicone sealers to make temporary repairs on rads but with a split along the joint line it is going to be near impossible to stop it reopening, often this type of split is caused by either te radiator pressure cap not venting excess pressure or the top radiator hose going rock hard with age.

Problem with radiator leaks is you can't see small leaks at running temperature because they turn instantly to dry steam (which is invisible) so it can be difficult to be sure you have cured the leak.

Northren Rads sell top quality rads my advice is bight ther bullet.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 12/7/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
my idea was to run stuff the whole way around, in all the gaps,
you're right of course, best to get a new radiator, but seriously, i don't have a penny to my name, and no sign of any coming in soon 1 interview in 6 months, not cool, £63+ vat +post (or is it +post +vat?) its near £100 i reckon, need a patch up repair for now really, so what epoxy or pu will flow in there easily, and withstand everything it'll get the best?

besides, the last thing i want to do is shell out on a brand new radiator, to get it to an MOT and find out the catalyst is shot, and not worth my while fixing, you know?

[Edited on 12/7/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

paulf

posted on 12/7/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
The polo rad in my car was leaking on the joint between header tank and core when i first filled it a few years ago.I used some locktite 290 which is a penetrating thread sealant and then crimped the joint tighter with pliers, it has never leaked since.
Paul

andyw7de

posted on 12/7/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Blake,

Ive got a spare rad lying in the workshop, also got a new air intake pipe and a used AFM much cheapness

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/7/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyw7de
Hi Blake,

Ive got a spare rad lying in the workshop, also got a new air intake pipe and a used AFM much cheapness

I think a dash halfway cross Scotland is worth taking an offer like that LCB ROCKS

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/7/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi Blake,

I think a dash halfway cross Scotland is worth taking an offer like that LCB ROCKS

blakep82

posted on 12/7/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:
Hi Blake,

think i will cheers again Andy!
more sleeper work going on in the garden, might need a few more plates cut, this time to make a stair way! will try and get some drawings done soon, and maybe collect the whole lot soon? early next week perhaps? if you have some 5mm steel in stock to cut some fairly big (15cmx15cm) trianglular type plates?

andyw7de

posted on 13/7/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
think i will cheers again Andy!
more sleeper work going on in the garden, might need a few more plates cut, this time to make a stair way! will try and get some drawings done soon, and maybe collect the whole lot soon? early next week perhaps? if you have some 5mm steel in stock to cut some fairly big (15cmx15cm) trianglular type plates?

No problem Blake

Got plenty 5mm plate in stock so just tell me how many you need and Ill have them ready

cheers

Andy

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.