Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OK if I'm Totaly honest with myself
mad-butcher

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
OK if I'm Totaly honest with myself

This could possibly open a can of worms, swapped cars for the day with a mate he had my blade I had his pinto.
Now if I'm totaly honest with myself I enjoyed driving his more than my own (he hated every moment of mine apart from the speed) No nursing the clutch, driving round town an absolute pleasure, pain in the arse not having the sequencial box, missed the noise of the blade, but still plenty fast enough to get me banned for a good few years,
sorry to say if the blade blew it would be replaced by a car engine, as a buzz and for trackdays BEC but for general use deffo car engine.
Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nursing the clutch? You've got it set up wrong. Mine was light but with plenty of feel and enough sensitivity around the biting point that it could be driven smoothly in stop start traffic. I had the cable mount as close to the pivot point of the pedal as possible and it worked like a dream. I'm no fan of the sequential box though. It was just a means of preventing you choosing any other gear than one up or one down.

tomgregory2000

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
LOL

Now just fit a turbo engine and you get the best of everything

cerbera

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my ZX9 powered 7 to get one with a car engine. But now after 12 months I'm missing the buzz of driving my old one and am looking out for another.

Like smart said, mine was a doddle to drive in stop start traffic.

Anyone selling a striker / fury R1??

steve m

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
This, is a very good post, and shows how different our cars can be,

I personly, am not to keen on a bec, but quite like the sequentiol box, but no reverse ?? not for me

but a bec is light, and very very powerful,

When will some brightspark on here make a decent car engined car, connected to a bike sequential box WITH reverse ?

steve

mad-butcher

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe nursing the clutch was the wrong word, but to get to visit my lad in Preston and before I hit the M58/M6 I have to go thru Liverpool and there are 15 or so sets of lights and traffic to contend with. Clutch is set spot on and I drive in baseball boots.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tony, you need to get yourself to the doctors mate. You'll be asking for your pipe and slippers next. Honda S2000 engine and I could almost understand but........ a Pinto!!..... is this a post you've had drafted since April 1st but forgot to submit?

Phil

[Edited on 13-7-11 by Hellfire]

blakep82

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
This, is a very good post, and shows how different our cars can be,

I personly, am not to keen on a bec, but quite like the sequentiol box, but no reverse ?? not for me

but a bec is light, and very very powerful,

When will some brightspark on here make a decent car engined car, connected to a bike sequential box WITH reverse ?

steve

quaife do a sequential box to replace the type 9 (with 6 gears i think?) if you've got a spare few grand. £3500 i think? maybe more now?

edit: ok, a bit more than 3.5k... http://www.quaife.co.uk/qbe60g

[Edited on 13/7/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

zilspeed

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect it depends what you want a car like a locost for.

If you don't want to utterly spank it every time you get behind the wheel, maybe a bike engine is the wrong thing.

Maybe that's not unrelated to the thought that one or two members on here who have flogged the locost, replaced it with an MX5 and realised that this is actually all the toy car they actually want.

scootz

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree! The only car that I'd want to have a bike-engine in it is a single-seater race car... something that gets up the revs straight away and stays there for the duration of it's use!

I had an R1 indy for a short while and was completely underwhelmed by it. Fast - yes. Dramatic - yes. Fun - yes... but only for about 10 minutes and then it became hard work! The wife hated it. The dog was scared of it. etc. etc.

My next car after that was a pinto engined Quantum Xtreme. Now that's a fairly heavy Se7en and the engine was only putting out 110bhp, but what a hoot!

That said, I can completely understand why some may want a BEC if they drive in banzai-mode everywhere they go.

It's Evolution Baby!

franky

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
imagine if it had an engine that would rev to 8k making over 300bhp
Hellfire

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky

And weighed so much that it couldn't turn corners...........

franky

posted on 13/7/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by franky

And weighed so much that it couldn't turn corners...........

Luckily this one doesn't Less than a pinto darling

beaver34

posted on 13/7/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Which is double the weight of a bike engine
Kwik

posted on 13/7/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

That said, I can completely understand why some may want a BEC if they drive in banzai-mode everywhere they go.

thats my life, every physical thing i do i put as much effort that is humanly possible... ok my knees normally feel like jelly and my elbows kill afterwards but if im not being banzei, im not living...

saying that i am a safe driver and stay at the speed limits (kind of have to in a car that barely goes 70, i just get to those speeds as soon as possible...

hopefully start of next year/summer i will be aquireing one of these 7 kit cars... split between what im used to and what i think i will like...

TimC

posted on 13/7/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think for road driving you're 100% spot-on. I had much more fun in my X-flow Striker than I did in my Indy with bike power & Nos.

On track, I think it's the exact opposite.

blakep82

posted on 13/7/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34

but its about double the power, with bags more torque, and the final car isn't double the weight

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

sorens2

posted on 13/7/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
My MNR ZX12 does it all for me.
Trackdays are heaven.
Taking it round town. No problem.

But who builds a 7even style car as an everyday car?
I should be fun when you drive it and it should hit the limiter in all gears.

Buy an Audi if you want the smooth ride.

Soren S2

chrisxr2

posted on 13/7/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Spot on OP

Op, i bought my car and went for a car engine as i believed that a bike engine is best for driving at 10/10ths anything less a car engine suffices.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

McLannahan

posted on 13/7/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have to agree too!

My most loved KC was my good old crossflow "bitsa". Still a laugh and genuinely the only KC my wife liked!

I've moved away from KC's now and have an old mk2 Golf. Still great going out in it and fast enough. Sure it doesn't have the speed and excitement of KC but I do feel a lot more comfortable and less "on edge" driving it!

Andy D

posted on 13/7/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Tony, you need to get yourself to the doctors mate. You'll be asking for your pipe and slippers next. Honda S2000 engine and I could almost understand but........ a Pinto!!..... is this a post you've had drafted since April 1st but forgot to submit?

Phil

[Edited on 13-7-11 by Hellfire]

Tut tut Philip.

Nothing wrong with Pintos. ;-)

ReMan

posted on 13/7/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sorens2
My MNR ZX12 does it all for me.
Trackdays are heaven.
Taking it round town. No problem.

But who builds a 7even style car as an everyday car?
I should be fun when you drive it and it should hit the limiter in all gears.

Buy an Audi if you want the smooth ride.

Soren S2

WELL YOU SAVED ME A WHOLE LOT OF TYPING
THANKS

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

franky

posted on 13/7/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34

but its about double the power, with bags more torque, and the final car isn't double the weight

Should be double the power, double the torque, and less than half the cost.

mistergrumpy

posted on 13/7/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
As discussed on U2U I have to hold my hands up and agree with you to Tony. There's just too many traffic lights round here and I find myself constantly slowing to try and make them work with me so I don't have to stop and play the sequential gear game. I don't want to spank the car everytime I'm in it and can't because of the roads around here and the number of scare stories on here with pictures of pistons hanging out of engine cases kinda bothers me if I end up stranded in some shithole around here, and there are plenty to choose from If the engine does blow I have to say that I would definitely consider a CEC too.
Dangle_kt

posted on 14/7/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've been saying this for a few years now. BECs are great at what they do, but it's very niche.

Either accept that or buy/build something else.

For me, on the right day on the right road NOTHING would be a beter car.... It's just that day/road combo doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.