Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B##dy roadworks.......
clairetoo

posted on 14/7/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
B##dy roadworks.......

What is it with this country...........it.s just taken me 4 1/2 hours to drive the 197 miles down to Dover........a trip I've done in under 2 hours in the past !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

steve m

posted on 14/7/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cos your blonde ????
Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/7/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
197 miles down to Dover........a trip I've done in under 2 hours in the past !

At an average of in excess of 98.5mph!! Selfish Highways Agency - restricting your average to below 70mph - disgraceful!!

PS we have had roadworks outside of my office which shut the road for the past few days. This morning we had a film crew doing the new Vauxhall ad for playing in the footie season as they're sponsoring the leagues.

mcerd1

posted on 14/7/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
we hav't had any round here for ages now (I think they spent the whole years budget already just sorting the pot holes)

but don't go anywhere near edinburgh (b*** trams ) or the forth road bridge, those roadworks are going on for about 15years now.....

-

McLannahan

posted on 14/7/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What is it with this country...........it.s just taken me 4 1/2 hours to drive the 197 miles down to Dover........a trip I've done in under 2 hours in the past !

I had a crappy car like that once....

blakep82

posted on 15/7/11 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
hmm, last weekend the tall ships race came to greenock, now greenock being where it is, only has 1 main road in and out, you can use a few minor residential roads, but they're very narrow and can't handle the traffic.

so tall ships are coming, the dock is right next to the main road, the planners decide to make the main road 1 way INTO Greenock, and CLOSE the road back out! wtf? to make it even better, there was road work son the main road too... and 15 quid to park anywhere, with the roads being no parking

add to that they put on more trains, but the trains kept getting held up, so they were 30 minutes late, and not stopping at the first 5 stations

so if you had the misfortune to work in greenock or glasgow that weekend, you were completely screwed.

took me 2 hours to 6 miles when i went out last weekend

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

robinj66

posted on 15/7/11 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone is coming down this way i would suggest using the M2 rather than the M20. There are permanent roadworks south of Jtn 12 (Channel tunnel) and it takes about half an hour to do a couple of miles. Not what you want if you're late for a ferry etc (or you want to get home every night )
mcerd1

posted on 15/7/11 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
so if you had the misfortune to work in greenock or glasgow that weekend, you were completely screwed.

took me 2 hours to 6 miles when i went out last weekend

we get the open golf here every few years (muirfield)

last time they closed all the roads to non-residents for about 5miles around the town - it was lucky I lived and worked inside the no-go zone - I could get to work in half the normal time

the time before that they didn't bother closing the roads and we couldn't get out the house for the 10+ miles of queues and all the towns round here were full of americans (as busy as the royal mile normaly is, but with cars aswell )
I'm sure someone makes alot of money out of all that, but it isn't me
and its coming back again in 2013....

[Edited on 15/7/2011 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 15/7/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Davegtst

posted on 15/7/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Roadworks are the bain of my life. I am usually on the M25 and can do hundreds of miles a day and i'm sick to death of these roadworks. Every night the m25 becomes a 2 or sometimes 1 lane crawl while some lazy git in orange takes 4 hours to replace a bulb in a lamp post or picks up a bit of paper on the hard shoulder. The highways agency seem to think it's best to shut 2 lanes down just because a truck has a flat tyre too. And the police never used to shut miles of motorway for hours at a time so they can do an investigation. Whats with the workers aswell, they never seem to do anything at all, just sit in their cabs eating and smoking without doing any work at all. How can these works take years to complete? If they actually did some work once in a while they could probably get them done in half the time. I just wonder how much the backhanders are to get these massive contracts that last forever.
Ninehigh

posted on 15/7/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It has before now taken me longer than that to get from Warrington town centre to the Halliwell Jones Stadium (for those that don't know it's about 10 mins walk) because they shut the m6 (Thelwall Viaduct), the m60 (Barton bridge) and the Runcorn-Widnes bridge. Oh yeah they also closed the town centre to traffic for the danger of falling roof tiles (my brother said he walked through the closed area that day)

I now have a pathological fear of stopped traffic. I'm happy to crawl along at 1mph but if it stops that fear that it won't start again comes back.

Also it's getting near summer holidays, of course it's time to ruin everyone's summer by restricing traffic flow!

Peteff

posted on 15/7/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What kind of helicopter were you in for the under 2 hour trip? For the 4 1/2 hour trip you averaged about 40mph so I wouldn't complain at that, most trips now average nearer 30mph.

[Edited on 15/7/11 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clairetoo

posted on 15/7/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:

What kind of helicopter were you in for the under 2 hour trip? For the 4 1/2 hour trip you averaged about 40mph so I wouldn't complain at that, most trips now average nearer 30mph.

[Edited on 15/7/11 by Peteff]

I was in an Alfa 164........and I set off from Dover at about 3.30 in the morning

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rgrs

posted on 15/7/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
This morning one lorry driver ran out of fuel on the A2 closing off one lane, all the traffic going to the open at sandwich then backed up the M2 virtually to rochester.

Not only that but the Kent show was also on today which caused chaos on the M20,A249 and London bound M2, my normal trip to surrey took 2.5 hrs this morning !!

Roger

[Edited on 15/7/11 by rgrs]

Ninehigh

posted on 22/7/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rgrs
This morning one lorry driver ran out of fuel on the A2 closing off one lane, all the traffic going to the open at sandwich then backed up the M2 virtually to rochester.

Mmmmmmm open saaaandwiiichhhhhh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.