Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New tin top waiting times
AndyW

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
New tin top waiting times

trying to order new car. BMW dealer cant even give a lead time. Audi dealer says orders this week are due to be built in week 49 for delivery january.

Seriously, are they just not making them or is demand so high? Apparently demand is high for the models Im looking at.

Jesus, at this rate it will be quicker to build a kit car than get a mass produced car.....

Sort of rant over......

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's been this way for a while now. When I was at my last company, one of the lads wanted a Passat. That was on 20 odd weeks delivery then. The biggest problem appears to be that virtually every option is factory fit now which means no dealer stock is really held now.
AndyW

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
The only option I went for is privacy glass. The model of car has everything on it I need except the HD sat nav which is where the 6 month delay comes from!
Thinking about it

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I ordered my Golf Sportline Estate mid Feb it was built 1st week in June, arrived in Germany on 12th July, left Germany for Sheerness Friday gone. Two to three days on the boat same to clear customs then a day to the dealer they tell me. So should get it by the end of the month. So thats five and a half months and the only option fitted is the bluetooth phone preparation. The Audi A3 at the time were quoting even longer lead times.
omega 24 v6

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
It strange you have to wait that long especially as there are fields of them everywhere due to " the current economic climate"

mines is a Sarcastic comment???
But the economic climate one does not add up IMHO if there is as much demand then build more/employ more/work more hours.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

AndyW

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the only option for a quicker delivery is that one of the dealers can get one from group stock. Trouble is they just cant find what I want, unless its fitted with stupid amounts of options which take it well over budget. They rang me Friday, found a car, not the right colour, they wanted £700 extra for the colour, it had tyre pressure monitor £100, not wanted. Heated seats £200, not wanted. Not privacy glass, retro fit at £300. So they got told to forget it.....

Oh well. looks like a long wait......

AndyW

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
It strange you have to wait that long especially as there are fields of them everywhere due to " the current economic climate"

mines is a Sarcastic comment???
But the economic climate one does not add up IMHO if there is as much demand then build more/employ more/work more hours.

According to there computer system, any Audi A4 ordered this week is scheduled for build week 49.

I dont mind 6 weeks maybe 8, but 6 months plus is just crazy....

PSpirine

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Try getting them to find a car elsewhere in stock - if it's got a few extras, ask whether they'll contain them in the original offer price.

People from work managed to get fully loaded Fords just because they were stock vehicles, for less than the cost of ordering one with a lower spec.

Mind you I haven't got any experience of Audi/beamer dealers so don't know what their stance would be.

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up going for an ex-BMW company car found through the dealer. 6 months old but a lot more toys than I'd have been able to get on a new, new one. Found it, ordered, paid for (>£10k less than a new one with similar spec) and delivered within a week. Is that an option for you?
Liam

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Why on earth do you want to buy a brand new car? I thought the people on this forum were sensible??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyW

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
New company car, so not my money!!
Thinking about it

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Why on earth do you want to buy a brand new car? I thought the people on this forum were sensible??

Mines a company car and leased, no loss to me

Peteff

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
The only option I went for is privacy glass. The model of car has everything on it I need except the HD sat nav which is where the 6 month delay comes from!

Do you really need hi def sat nav that badly?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

omega 24 v6

posted on 17/7/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto^^^ had a test drive of a 7 series 2 years ago with sat nav ( bmws own) and it was sh*te. why anyone would spec a £1K extra when you can get a tom tom for £200 is beyond my thinking ( as a tight git and a scotsman)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

morcus

posted on 18/7/11 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
When I bought my Panda they had to build it and ship it from poland and it took about a month and a half, It was annoying because canterbury had one excatly the same in dealler stock but sold it that day, hours before I decided on mine, but hadn't marked it on the stock list. The Car seems to Live in Ashford as I've seen it a couple of times.

That's just the way it is I guess, maybe they don't sell enough to make it worth holding large numbers.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Fred W B

posted on 18/7/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thats what I used to think, but right now I am looking at replacing the wife's Honda jazz, and a new one (without service plan) is the same price as a 2010 second hand one with 27 000 KM on (17 000 miles). How does that work?

Is a motorplan really necessary?

Cheers

Fred w B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

AndyW

posted on 18/7/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Do you really need hi def sat nav that badly?

when the company pays for who gives a sh**.......

and yes, the audi sat nav in my current car is faultless.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/7/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
IMHO if there is as much demand then build more/employ more/work more hours.

As someone who has worked for a few OEM's I can say t'is a tad more complicated than that.

Half the problem is that during the recession half of the Tier 1 & 2 suppliers went bust so there aren't any actual parts to make cars with.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Simon

posted on 18/7/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
A friends new 308 Peugeot from order to delivery is 7 weeks - which I think is (a)pathetic these days.

As for 6 months (for bmw/audi), is this the so called german efficiency.

ATB

Simon

simonwinn

posted on 19/7/11 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have worked at both ends of the chain, a main dealer and now at the manufacturer.
We build a core stock each month which includes the models which the sales side sell most frequently and also the customer orders that cant be supplied from this, ie anything with optional extras.
It takes us 36 hours to produce a car, from sheet steel to it driving off the line but then you have to factor everything else in.
Once built it is handed to our european distribution section(even if its a uk car), then it gets transfered to the uk distribution section where it is sent to a storage facility closest to the requesting dealer, then finally delivered to the dealer. Thats probably 3-4 weeks worth.

When it all went pear shaped with the banks we had between 3 and 6 months of core stock sat waiting to be moved from a compound. We stopped building and now run at a max of 3 months stock. Other manufacturers had a lot more than us.

7 weeks was the norm when I was at the main dealer and with the production planning now you would be very lucky to get any new car quicker unless it is physically in stock at a uk dealer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.