Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any one used Chips away?
Bluemoon

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Any one used Chips away?

Hi all,

Quite a few small scratches and chips on our "new" car (got at a good price, so not to worried), any one used Chips away or similar? Might do the job myself but there are quite a few scratches, some though clear coat a couple to the primer, it might be best to use a pro?

I may just us touch up paint on the deeper ones for the time being but would be best to fix properly.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Dan

PSpirine

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
The OEM that I work for may or may not use them to touch up any minor blemishes that occur during transit etc.

I personally haven't used them but equally haven't heard of any bad experiences with them, and from my understanding they are quite reasonable. Your results may vary!

mookaloid

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
They are ok usually - but bear in mind that they are not magicians!

A painted chip looks like a chip that has been painted i.e. they don't completely remove them they just do their best to hide them. As long as this is what you are after then fine.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I used them when I had scuffs on either rear corner of the bumper (one caused by some car park driver ) and a fine scratch down one side of the car.
The results were rubbish. The paint is a good match but you can see the edges were he sprayed into the masking tape and on one corner the scuff is still there, just painted over. The fine scratch is also there too. He just whizzed over it with a polisher a couple of times with a fine paper then with a mop. Rubbish and not worth the £100 he charged.
My brother used an alternative company for his MR2 when it had a few chips and his results were great though. Can't remember the company though.

big-vee-twin

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a company called shine with good results, they do all the repairs for Halfords

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

smart51

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I had them do a stone chip about 10 years ago. The finish was perfect. He did it and showed me and I thought it was spot on, then he said he wasn't happy with the shade and did it again a shade lighter. I'd highly recommend them, but do remember they're franchises, so they're only as good as the guy who does your car.

Stott

posted on 19/7/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
My brother had his impreza door keyed last year and had chips away to do it. It was £180 IIRC so about the same as a proper repair but he went ahead with it anyway.

He came to where we work and did it under a big gazebo and it only took about an hour!

Would probably have been a better finish though if he'd used one of these:

In all fairness though as stated above it's a franchised thing.

ATB
Stott

hearbear

posted on 19/7/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Used Chips away and you could not see the repair paint match was perfect and I would recomend the guy I used. (he was older and spent a bit of time doing the job)

George

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

clairetoo

posted on 19/7/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
We use them all the time at work - we used to use shine (as well as fit out their vans........) untill a bit of a falling-out , and never had a problem with quality .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Guinness

posted on 19/7/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had a company Audi that got clipped in the rear arch by some kid.

Got Chipsaway guy to bash / fill and paint the panel and it looked OK to my eye.

However one of the lads on the shop floor noticed that the metallic flakes were a slightly different size from the original paintwork. Didn't bother me.

I've since had several quotes for minor paintwork, but the costs are comparable to a small independant bodyshop.

Bluemoon

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys looks like results are variable depending who does it.. May be better of with a small paint shop, may do a quick job myself.

Ta

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.