Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scoop or duct ??
froggy

posted on 22/7/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
scoop or duct ??

i need to make a decision wether to put a scoop on the roof to feed the big intercooler which would still allow me to fit the rear of the van body for winter use,

or try to build a roof duct like the z cars mini monte carlo

a roof duct would mean i need a spoiler at the rear to direct air into the duct so i would have to use the saloon body

no idea where on my roof the scoop would need to be placed to work properly as they seem to be placed at random positions on other cars using them

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

deltron63

posted on 22/7/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
The van looks better to me
mccsp

posted on 22/7/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of a NACA duct style vent in the roof. Will create less drag than a scoop.

Search for "Dahlback racing golf" they did an extreme mk4 golf with this type of vent in the roof and the bonnet feeding the various coolers!

Pics:

Dahlback
Dahlback

Dahlback Bonnet
Dahlback Bonnet

Dahlback Boot
Dahlback Boot

[Edited on 22/7/11 by mccsp]

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

designer

posted on 23/7/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, NACA duct in the roof.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nasty

posted on 23/7/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
While the NACA duct will look better (IMHO), but will only really work well in an area of relatively low turbulence (they rely on the air flow remaining attached to the body) and aren't usually used to push very large quantities of air through a system. Also, with scoops, it's much easier to make one you can vary in size (at least in term of the size of the opening), making it easier to get the right size through empirical experimentation. I'd make sure to make it as easy as possible for air to vent out of the back, thus reducing the pressure against which the air coming into the engine bay has to fight. In fact, I'd do this anyway as you don't seem to have a floor under the engine, so the rear is likely to act as a big air-brake anyway.
http://f1-dictionary.110mb.com/naca_duct.html

Uphill Racer

posted on 24/7/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Getting it in is easy, getting it to exit correctly in a low pressure area to maximise cooling is more difficult.
indykid

posted on 25/7/11 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
With such a carefully designed aerodynamic body like that, I should imagine finding low pressure at the rear would be the least of your worries.

Uphill Racer

posted on 25/7/11 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
With such a carefully designed aerodynamic body like that, I should imagine finding low pressure at the rear would be the least of your worries.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.