Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternatives to VW Beetle Front Torsion Arms
scootz

posted on 23/7/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatives to VW Beetle Front Torsion Arms

I didn't fancy sticky a reconditioned 1960's steel beam on front of my trike, so I've ordered an ali one from Jamar in the States.

I'm also not that keen on using old torsion arms...

That said, I can't seem to find any modern-day alternatives to reconditioned steel ones. Has anyone ever seen anything a bit more up-to-date?

Cheers

It's Evolution Baby!

D Beddows

posted on 23/7/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure about this Scootz or is the construction of the stable for the donkey to pull it too far along!!? Lol, you're going to have to build this one because you're REALLY going to struggle selling this gear on

Before anyone starts I know all about Formula V

scootz

posted on 23/7/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mr B... you're going to have to explain yourself as I haven't a clue what you mean.

It's Evolution Baby!

britishtrident

posted on 24/7/11 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Sorry Mr B... you're going to have to explain yourself as I haven't a clue what you mean.

This image link might explain what the bits are VW Beetle front ends were quite unique, Formula Vee Front Suspension

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/7/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

This image link might explain what the bits are VW Beetle front ends were quite unique, Formula Vee Front Suspension

I think it was aimed at the donkey/stable reference rather than the suspension

scootz

posted on 24/7/11 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
That's the bit I don't understand... donkey/stable!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 24/7/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
PS - anyone want to have a stab at answering the feckin question rather than talking gibberish!

It's Evolution Baby!

britishtrident

posted on 24/7/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Think meaning of that bit was VW front end not even fit for horse drawn cart only a donkey cart --- a bit harsh with a 3 wheeler it dosen't matter much how the end with 2 wheels is attached.
scootz

posted on 24/7/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm afraid that I don't have any other option as the tub was engineered to accept a Formula Vee front-end. I can wish as hard as I like that it was engineered to take the latest-spec F1 wishbone set-up, but it wasn't (and even if it had been, then I doubt I could have afforded it as the price reflected that it was an outlawed Formula Vee tub!).

I'm confident however that it will be plenty good enough for a road toy and will be more capable than I am.

It's Evolution Baby!

v8kid

posted on 24/7/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
How about drilling/grinding off metal?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 24/7/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Quick google search shows Puhn discusses replacing dampers with coilovers. As well as allowing the torsion bars to be dispensed with this means the stresses on the trailing arms are very much less.

How about fabricating replacements out of steel tube a la locost combined with coilovers?

There might be a few chaps on the other side of the forth that would do this for you

Cheers1

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 24/7/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
A bolt on subframe would be relatively simple to take wishbones, but the proportions would be all wrong.

F Vee can do some pretty respectable speeds though, so stick with that.
Zero camber change though, even the desirable and controlled sort.
Might be worth investigating of the F-Vee guys any sort of static camber into their setups, always bearing in mind right enough that you're building a trike.
Regarding the suspension arms.
It's just a lump of iron, get new ones made which are prettier.

scootz

posted on 24/7/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas!

It's Evolution Baby!

beaver34

posted on 24/7/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
i have a t2 camper, i i run coilovers on the front of that, red 9 design is the company that makes them take a look

http://www.red9design.com/type1.htm

MikeRJ

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
i have a t2 camper, i i run coilovers on the front of that, red 9 design is the company that makes them take a look

http://www.red9design.com/type1.htm

I don't think that's a bad price considering it includes a new rack and the uprights and it looks to be pretty well designed and made.

scootz

posted on 24/7/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
That Red9 set-up is quite trick, but it wouldn't work with my kit.

That said, I see they can supply through-rods (in place of the traditional leaves) so that'll save me a bit of US P&P!

It's Evolution Baby!

beaver34

posted on 25/7/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That Red9 set-up is quite trick, but it wouldn't work with my kit.

That said, I see they can supply through-rods (in place of the traditional leaves) so that'll save me a bit of US P&P!

i just run the rods insted of leaves in my van, its fine

scootz

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still trying to work out how they support the rods inside the beam tubes Beaver?

Can you give me any pointers... bearings... bushes???

Cheers!

It's Evolution Baby!

beaver34

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm still trying to work out how they support the rods inside the beam tubes Beaver?

Cheers!

I'm not sure, I presume they run on the standard beam bearings? I swapped my arms bug didn't really pay much attention,

Have you though about the early beetle or split screen setup? There not all ball joints that have travel limitations

Volvorsport

posted on 25/7/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
later beetles had mcpherson struts ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

scootz

posted on 25/7/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:

Cheers!

I'm not sure, I presume they run on the standard beam bearings? I swapped my arms bug didn't really pay much attention,

Have you though about the early beetle or split screen setup? There not all ball joints that have travel limitations

I'm looking at getting arms made that will take rose-joints (I'm not using a VW upright... it's a custom jobbie)..

It's Evolution Baby!

grissley

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
theres loads of sites for vw and details of beams if you search, just sold my buggy with this set up and was very good. you want to forget red 9 set up its crap, try sanding your arms smooth they will look a lot smarter ,even have them chromed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.