Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I make my own Braided brake line to suit length?
Antnicuk

posted on 25/7/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Can I make my own Braided brake line to suit length?

I want to replace some of the copper brake lines and it would be much better if i could make them in braided lines. Can i buy the hose and the fittings and make them at home to be safe enough?

if so, can anyone recommend a good place to get bits?

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/7/11 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you can.

Look for any goodridge hose stockest, you can buy the line and compression fittings.

I made my own clutch lines this way

Edit: temon tweeks do the bits but at a price

[Edited on 25/7/11 by tomgregory2000]

edsco

posted on 25/7/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah course its possible. Very easy to do. Rally Design is where i bought my bits and bobs from. Not the cheapest, many other places can supply same parts cheaper. Do web search. Braided hose it expensive so make sure you measure well. Like with the olives...if you can afford it, over order slightly.

Make sure you purchase more 'olives' than you think you require as it easy to make a mistake. Note of caution: braided hose can rub bodywork chassis rails and is quite abrasive, so make sure it properly secure.

edsco

shindha

posted on 25/7/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to do the same, have a look at this website and I think it might be something to do with some one on here, don't know how the prices compare.

link

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/7/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with above, you can build them, they can pass SVA and they work (I have braided only on mine, front to back).

If you don't want the bother, faff and stainless wires in your fingers that you get from making these hoses, then goodridge do a modular system (build-a-line), where you can buy pre-ended hose and connectors. They are designed for the motorcycle market. I have used one and the quality is good.

Here are some details.

http://www.goodridge.net/documents/downloads/retail/UK/UK_Buildaline_AppGuide.pdf
http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/Goodridge_Motorcyle_Build_a_.asp?sortit=6&pg=4

You can often pick the bits up cheap on the well known auction site.

Matt

edited for better link

[Edited on 25/7/11 by matt_gsxr]

BigMac

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
I want to replace some of the copper brake lines and it would be much better if i could make them in braided lines. Can i buy the hose and the fittings and make them at home to be safe enough?

if so, can anyone recommend a good place to get bits?

You could make your own, or U2U 'Russbost' on here. He made all my braided lines for a very good price, a better job than I could have done for the price if you were to include the tooling you'd need. He'll make them to the specific length you specify, too!

RACER101

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Try Pip Gardener at WGT Autodevelopments in Middlewich (pretty close to where you are) on 01606 837277.

He will be able to source all the pipes, end fittings & olives etc. that you need.

Pip has tons of experience with race cars & kit cars etc and also has rolling road facilities which could be very useful to you when it comes to set up time.

Good luck,
John

eddie99

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for Russbost, im sure his prices are probably cheaper than you doing it yourself getting all the various tooling and parts..... And its being done by a professional. Obviously if you want to do everything on your car then do what the people above say and make your own
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RACER101

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops, I thought BigMac was the OP and therefore suggested a supplier close to him..............that will teach me to try and read & type whilst wearing my new 'distance' contact lenses instead of my reading specs /doh
Antnicuk

posted on 25/7/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACER101
Ooops, I thought BigMac was the OP and therefore suggested a supplier close to him..............that will teach me to try and read & type whilst wearing my new 'distance' contact lenses instead of my reading specs /doh

thanks all, I have known Pip for over 20 years, being a rotary fan since i was 17 but unfortunately he is not local to me.

I have messed about with braided hoses for oil lines and it is horrible stuff to work with when making the compression fittings so if there is someone who is willing to make them at a reasonable price, it sounds good to me.

thanks again

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

BigMac

posted on 25/7/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACER101

:-P Thanks matey, funnily enough, I know of Pip- he built a mutual friends triple rotor RX7!

blakep82

posted on 25/7/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
+1 for Russbost, im sure his prices are probably cheaper than you doing it yourself getting all the various tooling and parts..... And its being done by a professional. Obviously if you want to do everything on your car then do what the people above say and make your own

correct!
plus the type of fitting you can buy are usually screw together, which some IVA testers don't seem to like for brake systems in case they unscrew, or are un screwed , Russ's ones are properly pressed and swaged together, and are PVC coated in a range of colours

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

eddie99

posted on 25/7/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
and are PVC coated in a range of colours

Pretty

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 25/7/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Build-a-line system is swaged.

Making braided brake hoses is about 100x easier than those nasty braided oil hose, which is a real nightmare (for me anyway).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.