Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Automatic for sale.
MautoK

posted on 1/8/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Automatic for sale.

I have made my decision and my MK Indy automatic is for sale.

It has now been on the road for two and a half years - and I've done 1250 miles.
This year it's done 50 miles.
I had the fun in building it and the challenge of SVA, but my lifestyle is now such that I barely need one car, let alone two.

To recap my earlier post:
The chassis was built in 2003 and I painted it with 2 primer coats and 2 top coats black Hammerite.
The front part of the tunnel is wider than standard (about 11 1/2" to accommodate the A4LD auto box and the footwells correspondingly narrower.
Single roll-over bar, welded to chassis, no backstays.
Engine is believed 1988 2L Pinto of unknown provenance - bought second hand, fitted, runs!
Fueling currently by twin SUs which have been working well, although front carb currently playing up.
Exhaust is the complete MK setup with lagging under the bonnet.
Ignition is standard distributor along with ESC II box in footwell.
Polo radiator, correctly plumbed; electric fan with rad sensor, manual override and warning light.
Various bonnet vents to alleviate previous overheating issues.
Sump shortened about 1 1/2".
Dural skid under engine and autobox sumps.
Prop shortened by MK to suit autobox (shorter prop than with T9)
3.38 Diff
MK Aluminium petrol tank with breather vent. Tifosi lockable filler cap.
Seats are MK f/glass shells. Sabelt 4-point harnesses.
No windscreen, wipers, demist or heater; has MK wind deflector.
No stalks on the column; indicators are operated by a switch for electric windows (non-latching on-off-on) and relays.
12" steering wheel, standard-ratio rack (MK-shortened)
Sierra instrument cluster in home-made dash panel.
Battery in boot.
Team Dynamics Monza + Toyo T1R. Only done 1250 miles.
SVA'd March 2009, on road since April 09
There's nothing fancy about it but it drives fine.
Since the car has been on the road I've had to do nothing to it apart from tighten the rear suspension nuts a couple of times, swap the gearbox 'cos it started playing up after I holed its sump on the first day out and swap the engine due to cooling grief - see earlier discourses in the forum back in '09. So apart from engine & box, the car itself has been 100%.
On the current engine, the front crank seal dribbles slightly
The Auto box front seal also leaks quite badly.
See various pics in my album.

I also have a few other bits and pieces:
There were thoughts of switching to a manual box, so there's a Type 9 gearbox, fully dismantled, but cleaned up and painted, plus new gasket set
Flywheel, clutch cover, friction plate (all 'used'; but no release arm or bearing.
I was also gathering bits to convert to MJolt - so far an EDIS unit and TPS
New spare water pump
Spare Pinto engine, no ancillaries - possible frost damage. Has shortened sump.
Spare A4LD autobox - was misbehaving - needs overhaul.

It stands me in for about 6K although naturally don't expect to sell it for that. In view of the issues with the oil seals I can envisage that the car would be of interest to someone wishing to fit engine/box that need the extra tunnel width. There's about 11 1/2" between the vertical members straddling the gearbox below the back end of the bonnet.
Of course, a clutch pedal may need to be installed if the current setup is replaced.

The car is taxed to 03/12 and its first MOT will be due at the same time.

So over to you, guys and gals - anyone interested in relieving me of the whole lot?

John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

MautoK

posted on 3/8/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm....

Start haggling around £5K?
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

MautoK

posted on 7/8/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just refreshing this post for Sunday browsers
Start at £4.5K?
It's all road legal, taxed, ready to go; 'just' needs an oil seal in the g/box or switch to T9 manual would be fairly straightforward. Only needs a different propshaft, move the g/box mounting and add clutch gubbins.
I know I could do it myself, but I'm just not using the car and other interests have taken priority.
I hope someone will give this MK Indy a good home!
John.

MautoK

posted on 10/8/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone at £4250? It's on the road, taxed, drive it home!
John.

MautoK

posted on 23/8/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Surely there must be someone who wants to do something interesting or different in the engine + gearbox department without having to build the rest of the car?

£4K and drive it home....?

John.

MautoK

posted on 11/9/11 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Still here...!

Steve Hignett

posted on 12/9/11 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay?
wacomuk

posted on 12/9/11 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
Some pics might help

http://www.insightbookingsolutions.co.uk

MautoK

posted on 15/9/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping to avoid eBay and find a good home for it through LCBF.

Here's a few pictures:
I've changed the standard steering wheel for a 12" one - much better!

Offside
Offside

Dash
Dash

Front Nearside
Front Nearside

Yours for £4K including spares and bits and pieces mentioned above.
John.

john_p_b

posted on 16/9/11 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
i honestly think these cars need tucking away until the world has some money in it's pocket again. i've had mine up forsale for most of the summer, got it on ebay at 4k start and not had a single bid, email, stupid offer. times really must be bad and i personally am not willing to give my car away. it's sad to see how things have gone really, 2 years ago the cars would have shifted at 6k+ all day long

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

MautoK

posted on 17/10/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's still here!
I've done about 50 miles this year, less than 1500 since it was SVA'd and went on the road 2 1/2 years ago.
I'm just not using it and would like it to go to someone via LCBF. I do not want to go down the eBay route.
If it doesn't sell then it's getting SORNed come tax expiry next March.
I was hoping that somebody wanting to do something different/weird/original with engine & g/box configuration would have bought it.
£3900 for the lot as outlined above?
John.

MautoK

posted on 31/10/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Winter project, anyone?
£3850 for the lot.
John.

MautoK

posted on 11/11/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
£3750 for the lot...?
Good project for the winter - fit a BMW engine + box, Volvo, bike, whatever; even another Pinto + T9.
Everything is good apart from the autobox leak and slight dribble from the front crank seal.
As I've said above, I'm just not using the car, not because of the oil leak, but I just don't need it. My 306 has done abot 4500 miles between MoTs - other half did 1500 of that!
John.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.