Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa Clutch (again)
MikeFellows

posted on 1/8/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Busa Clutch (again)

Im now even more confused....

Ive just realised that the busa has a hydralic clutch (yep genius)

having done a little bit of research tonight it already has a slave cylinder on the engine but im struggling to see how I can take the pedal force to the clutch without adding another slave cylinder?

what have other people with hydralic clutches done?

Thanks

Davegtst

posted on 1/8/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
You will probably need to do something like this. Space the slave away and fit a longer pushrod then use a small master cylinder.

z3mjason

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have just bought new billet slave cylinder from Nova Racing

http://www.novaracing.co.uk/hayabusa-slave-cylinder.htm

Very very nice item designed to give better pedal feel than a "spaced" original item. Cost me all in£110.40 inc plus £20 for piston seal, spring and bleed nipple.
For clarity, this is designed to completely do away with your standard slave cylinder.
Jason

Davegtst

posted on 2/8/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice but how is it supposed to be better than a standard spaced one ?
MikeFellows

posted on 2/8/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys - much appreciated.

Ive Emailed Nova Racing to see if this fits an 09 Busa engine if it does it solves a few problems I guess. What size master cylinder did you go for?

Thanks

Mike

z3mjason

posted on 3/8/11 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Mike, it appears and I have been advised you want a smallish master cylinder. I have ordered a integral reservoir 0.625 master cylinder.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=master+cylinder&osCsid=krho0qammphei19ohrl1jm7hk4

The 0.625 is £28.50 and little down the page.

As to why it is better than standard, these have been redesigned to run at different pressure which apparently gives better feel when fixed into a car. My in being fitted this week so cant comment any more than that

If you go this route you will need 3 other parts numbers for the piston, spring and bleed nipple. I have these if you decide to go for it, they are the 3 other parts I mentioned you need.

Jason

phelpsa

posted on 5/8/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by z3mjason
Mike, it appears and I have been advised you want a smallish master cylinder. I have ordered a integral reservoir 0.625 master cylinder.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=master+cylinder&osCsid=krho0qammphei19ohrl1jm7hk4

As to why it is better than standard, these have been redesigned to run at different pressure which apparently gives better feel when fixed into a car. My in being fitted this week so cant comment any more than that

If you go this route you will need 3 other parts numbers for the piston, spring and bleed nipple. I have these if you decide to go for it, they are the 3 other parts I mentioned you need.

Jason

Could you post up a couple of pictures of it fitted? Trying to work out if it would fit my engine.

Cheers, Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeFellows

posted on 5/8/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ive pretty much ordered everything I need so will take photos of it all when everything comes sometime next week if thats any use to you?

ive just re-read this and think your on about the master cylinder, if you do want these photos let me know and I will sort

Mike

phelpsa

posted on 6/8/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
Ive pretty much ordered everything I need so will take photos of it all when everything comes sometime next week if thats any use to you?

ive just re-read this and think your on about the master cylinder, if you do want these photos let me know and I will sort

Mike

It's the slave cylinder i'm interested in. My current one is a modified suzuki one but the mounting isn't really stiff enough so it flexes quite badly.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeFellows

posted on 6/8/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
should be with me sometime next week

when it arrives I will take some photos for you and then again once fitted

Mike

MikeFellows

posted on 24/8/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
got everything i need this morning

I will get some photos of it tonight for you before fitting and then have a go at fitting it and take some more

Nick DV

posted on 24/8/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by z3mjason

Jason

You will find that even with a 0.625 m/cylinder that the clutch will have little 'feel' to it and will still be pretty much off/on, but you will get used to it. One solution is to use a bike rear m/cylinder and adapt it to fit the m/cylinder bracket in the car, or alternatively make sure that the clevis pin that the m/cylinder push rod is connected to is as close to the pedal pivot point as possible, in otherwords the foot moves far but the push rod move little.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

fimi7

posted on 24/8/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Why reinvent the wheel, use what others have used and its proven. I bought mine from SBD Motorsports, not cheap, but the quality is very good. I think you can get it from Nova too.

I am using a tilton .625, a couple guys over here in the states are using the same setup without issue.

--- Ali

MikeFellows

posted on 24/8/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
thats exactly what i was posting picstures of

no re inventing the wheel here

daviep

posted on 24/8/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fimi7
Why reinvent the wheel, use what others have used and its proven. I bought mine from SBD Motorsports, not cheap, but the quality is very good. I think you can get it from Nova too.

The clue is in the site name "locostbuilders". The fun/challenge for me is coming up with the best solution for as little money as possible. It's nice to be able to say that you made something yourself rather than ordering it from "generickitcarparts.com"

Just my thought on the subject

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

fimi7

posted on 24/8/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Davie, to some extent I agree with you, for some of us that are not as creative (namely me), a few items I just refuse to make something myself.

Again, I agree with you , the only issue is when the gimmick you come up with fails and leaves you hanging on the road. I had a ford Anglia that did that to me a few years ago with a slave cylinder mount failing, I guess once bitten, twice shy ..

The design in the picture from Davegtst with the ali plate looks good, actually very similar to the nova/SBD part.

--- Ali

Nick DV

posted on 24/8/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by fimi7

The clue is in the site name "locostbuilders". The fun/challenge for me is coming up with the best solution for as little money as possible. It's nice to be able to say that you made something yourself rather than ordering it from "generickitcarparts.com"

Just my thought on the subject

Davie

Yup, that was my thought. I actually use the 0.625 cylinder, but was just offering a simple, easy and cheap solution for those that may not get on and want a 'softer' clutch.

Cheers, Nick.

[Edited on 24/8/11 by Nick DV]

"The force will be with you, always!"

OX

posted on 24/8/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I brought a steel backplate from westfield to mount the original and that split ,twice . So if you do make your own make sure its got some thickness
Jon Ison

posted on 24/8/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine cost me zilch.

Used the clutch cable that was used on the blade engine, knocked up a lever from bits in garage, been on car for over 2 years now and aside from a Rose joint (used as the pivot) it's been trouble free, the joint only failed as it was well used prior to becoming part of the clutch set up.

Locost enough ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.