Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would a lower voltage cause temperature guage to read a little lower?
Jasongray5

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Would a lower voltage cause temperature guage to read a little lower?

Hi guys,
A little background info,
I have a ford falcon (EB model) here in Western Australia, The alternator has been on its way out for some time, and only giving around 12v. The other evening, it decided it would be a good idea to die, 140k's from anywhere. So, I have replaced it, and getting a steady 14.5
Around the same time, the temperature guage has started reading ever so slightly higher, nothing to worry about heat wise, could this be because of the difference in voltage?
She has plenty of coolant, and that was only changed 12,000k or so ago.
I am moving steadily north at the moment tho, so the air temperature has changed from 15 degree's to 30 or so?
Cheers for any thoughts!
Jason

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

wylliezx9r

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Could well be, as the sensor is sending out a voltage in relation to the temperature. I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me though.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect on an older model it would but I don't any details at all about your specific car model.

Modern euro box cars ie anything post 1998 or so tend to drive the dashboard instruments from the engine ECU and give readings that are non-linear ie they are programmed to remain smack on "N" between 75c and 115c -- this has caused a lot of blown head gaskets.

ashg

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
i would say its more to do with the new alt putting extra load on the engine tbh. temp sensors work on ground resistance so voltage shouldn't have any effect. the 12v feed to the gauge is only required for mechanical movement which will just be faster or slower depending on voltage not more or less movement.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Liam

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Supply voltage shouldn't affect instruments in a modern car or they'd be all over the place under different electrical load/revs/etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Jasongray5
Hi guys,
A little background info,
I have a ford falcon (EB model) here in Western Australia, The alternator has been on its way out for some time, and only giving around 12v. The other evening, it decided it would be a good idea to die, 140k's from anywhere. So, I have replaced it, and getting a steady 14.5
Around the same time, the temperature guage has started reading ever so slightly higher, nothing to worry about heat wise, could this be because of the difference in voltage?
She has plenty of coolant, and that was only changed 12,000k or so ago.
I am moving steadily north at the moment tho, so the air temperature has changed from 15 degree's to 30 or so?
Cheers for any thoughts!
Jason

There must, must be a clue in there somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can see it. Anyone know Sherlock Holmes' number?

[Edited on 3/8/11 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
But a voltage regulator can't compensate for low voltage once it is below a given threshold.

On older cars the instruments tended to be the bi-metal type which were very voltage sensitive.

Dingz

posted on 3/8/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would say you are right about the higher voltage, I don't have a voltage stabiliser on my instruments in my kit, when I turn the headlights on my fuel gauge drops, turn them off and it fills up again.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Jasongray5

posted on 4/8/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys!
I think its going to be a case of keeping on going, until something dramatic happens!
Jason

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.