Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upright Design - how does this work
GRRR

posted on 5/8/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Upright Design - how does this work

Hi all,

In this pic of an MNR upright, does anyone understand how it all fits together? i.e. the machined stub that takes the hub, surely if thats just welded onto the vertical section of the upright it couldn't take the weight, loadings, fatigue etc from taking direct transfer of forces from the road wheel?

Assuming this takes some sort of Ford bearing like this:

if you were to make your own, does the stub thing just have to be sized to fit inside the hub flange bearing? Without having it in front of me I have trouble understanding how wheel bearings fit together...

Miks15

posted on 5/8/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
i imagine it will go through the vertical parts and be welded on the back aswell so its welded both sides of the upright.
nick205

posted on 5/8/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
The MNR upright with spindle looks to be designed for a Cortina set up where the bearings run on the spindle. The spindle will probably pass right through the uptight which will be strengthend to suit and be secured with a nut from behind.

The item below looks like a Sierra type set up where the bearings are pressed into the upright itself. More like a FWD set-up (I believe the Sierra uprights were designed to easily take driveshafts to allow for 4WD variants).

PSpirine

posted on 5/8/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know how it's done, but if I were doing it I'd make a hole through the square box section for the stub, then sleeve that hole by weldinng a tube to join the two faces of the box section.

Then the stub goes through, the front plate gets welded to the upright as you can see in the picture, and the stub axle gets welded on the rear to the upright.

nick205

posted on 5/8/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
I don't know how it's done, but if I were doing it I'd make a hole through the square box section for the stub, then sleeve that hole by weldinng a tube to join the two faces of the box section.

Then the stub goes through, the front plate gets welded to the upright as you can see in the picture, and the stub axle gets welded on the rear to the upright.

That's about it except the spindle is usually bolted on to avoid distortion to machined parts from welding.

These diagrams might help....

Cortina

Sierra

Also worth looking at the Rally Design alloy upright to see how it's assembled...

[Edited on 5/8/11 by nick205]

Liam

posted on 5/8/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be extremely surprised if the spindle is welded onto the upright. The thick round yellow section directly beneath the spindle that is welded is most likely just a thick load spreading section rather than part of the spindle, and the spindle is likely bolted on.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GRRR

posted on 5/8/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Wow quick reponses, thanks all. So the stub would presumably have to be custom made, I'm assuming it'd be some sort of hardened steel? ChroMoly or something like that
Alan B

posted on 5/8/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not much hardness required, more toughness and fatigue resistance needed. But, agreed 41xx (chromoly) would work.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 5/8/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
Wow quick reponses, thanks all. So the stub would presumably have to be custom made, I'm assuming it'd be some sort of hardened steel? ChroMoly or something like that

Plain steel is man enough, but they are likely made from EN16T

These are probably what is being used, and are cortina geometry.

https://randallmotorsport.ssl-01.com/product_info.php?products_id=497

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.