Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: concorde return flight
BATHO

posted on 6/8/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
concorde return flight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mindthegap/2010/06/will_conco rde_fly_back_for_a_2.html

Hi, not sure if the link above will work but do you think it might happen? Concorde return for the 2012 olympics.

tegwin

posted on 6/8/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
And who is going to pay for that!? The vulcan bomber is stupidly expensive to run and it is only just kept afloat by millions of pounds of donations...

Cant see it happening...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

A1

posted on 6/8/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
edinburgh council might pay, they seem to have millions to burn on crap nobody wants...

(not saying the concordes crap we dont want, dig at the trams...itd be ace to get concorde back)

[Edited on 6/8/11 by A1]

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/8/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
link didn't work for me but this should

linky dinky

yep works.

[Edited on 6/8/11 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

sdh2903

posted on 6/8/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Doubt it will happen, Not an ex BA one anyway. The most intact one is the one at BA Heathrow and they have just abandoned it, drained the fluids and left it for the mice. Really missed a trick when they opened T5 they could have had a cracking centrepiece.

Back to getting it flying, The return to service checks would be horrendous as no storage checks or maintenance has been carried out as far as I'm aware. If you get past all that then you've got the totally inept Civil Aviation Authority to get past to get a certificate of airworthiness, permits to fly etc. I think it could be done, but in a year? no chance, not with all the red tape to get through. The french may have other plans for their's however as they have been working on their youngest example quite a bit.

andrews_45

posted on 6/8/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
When the plane were mothballed the engine's were not prepped for long term storage, would take too long to return them to service. Besides, there would be no spare parts and would take to long to get a CAA cert.
eddie99

posted on 6/8/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Would be nice but i doubt it
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 6/8/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
hmm wasn't it grounded because it was deemed unsafe to fly by its design, rather than grounded because it was too expensive to run?

i don't see it happening. i can't see the CAA (is that the right one? civil aviation authority) allowing it, just because its the olympics

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

eddie99

posted on 6/8/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm wasn't it grounded because it was deemed unsafe to fly by its design, rather than grounded because it was too expensive to run?

i don't see it happening. i can't see the CAA (is that the right one? civil aviation authority) allowing it, just because its the olympics

Nope as far as im aware, it was purely because it was too expensive to run!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SteveWalker

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC after the crash, the problem was deemed to be that the wing fuel tanks were vulnerable to puncturing by debris thrown up by the wheels (which is what happened) in France. A fix was designed and may even have been test fitted (involving lining the inside of the tanks with a glued on, self-sealing rubber liner).

The nail in the coffin that ended any plans for returning them to flight was that the company with the experience to maintain them and carry out the periodical major overhauls decided that they did not want to support concord any more.

PSpirine

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nice thought, but it will not be flying again! The cost of recomissioning it is unreal - someone mentioned the Vulcan - have a look at how much that costs to operate and maintain (what do they spend, something like a £1m a year roughly?), this would be orders of magnitude more to bring back into service, even if it is for just one fly-by.
JC

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
As I recall, all airworthiness concerns with Concorde were fixed, however, BA and particularly Air France could not afford/lacked the will to keep it going. The nail in the coffin was when Richard Branson tried to buy them from BA and Airbus announced (as the 'manufacturer' that they would no longer support keeping the aircraft airworthy. To my mind, this fact as much as the horrific expense, would be the deal breaker for any return to flight.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.