Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "I didnt see it - honest!!"
Paul TigerB6

posted on 7/8/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
"I didnt see it - honest!!"

Well sometimes you genuinely might not see something when you collide with it but what's the excuse of this yachtsman??

pulled out in front of a small orange boat

PSpirine

posted on 7/8/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like they thought they'd get past, but then as they got close, the wind shadow from the ship just caused them to slow down.

Still, not a path I would've chosen!

MikeR

posted on 7/8/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
i thought technically powered gives way to sail - so technically the sail was in the right and the tanker in the wrong. Reality is you can be right and in a mess or sensible and alive. I guess someone made a bad and expensive decision.
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/8/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
The ship was "Restricted in its ability to maneuver" due to shallow water so the wind catcher was at fault

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Krismc

posted on 12/8/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The ship was "Restricted in its ability to maneuver" due to shallow water so the wind catcher was at fault

Agreed, i did the IOW yacht race 5 years back and we where told several million times, that although powered gives way too sail, that doesnt apply in the solent as the tankers cannot change direction (much), and take a mile to stop!

A big DOH too the yacht

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

James

posted on 12/8/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
My Dad was once driving (whatever!) his brother's yacht in the Solent.... dozy git managed to make a Navy frigate have to turn to avoid them!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

RK

posted on 13/8/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's a bit like the cyclists who think they are equal to a car. Yes, but...
JoelP

posted on 14/8/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
the tanker is probably faster than the yacht anyway, and caught him out. Or maybe his view was obscured by the sail.

Either way, anyone who owns a yacht would surely know that a large vessel isnt going to manouver for you.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.