Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Young drivers insurance what car is best
bowood14

posted on 9/8/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Young drivers insurance what car is best

Just looking for car insurance for my 20 year old son getting some stupid quotes £2000 on a Picasso HDI does anyone know what car is cheapest to insure? is it worth buying say an old Nova 1.2 does that get discounts or is it the same as say a corsa 1.2. I wondered if the Nova fell in a classic car type policy Any help please.
bartonp

posted on 9/8/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Morris 1000!
bowood14

posted on 9/8/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks but needs to have some street cred
the engine shop

posted on 9/8/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.onlyyoungdrivers.co.uk/car_insurance_groups_for_young_drivers/cars_in_insurance_group_3

Group 3 is where any kind of street cred starts
hope this link helps

greed1

posted on 9/8/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
£2000 sounds very steep
I paid 700 full comp for a Audi a3 1.8t that was with adermeral

Drive it stright sideways

skippad

posted on 9/8/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
£2000 is about right
My 18yr old quoted over £4000 for a Peugeot 107!
Its frightening, its getting to the point were no teenagers will be driving!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 9/8/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
£2000 is about right

unfortunately, i think that is the idea! Have you tried putting another, older driver on the policy, preferably a woman. Drops my insurance but £150 per year, and the missus wont even drive my car!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

trextr7monkey

posted on 9/8/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
my lad, 19 (not his real name obviously!) has an '03 Fiat Seicento which is the next one on from the Inbetweeners car it is 1100 cc and is costing £1600 with me and wife as named drivers and the car garaged at night, that is with Admiral.
Insurance being what it is if the car is damaged we will write it off/ scrap/ break it in order to keep his insurance somewhere half sane.
Only issues with it are the wipers are eyetie sh1te ( but nmade in Poland!), the fire engine is aptly named as it runs hot and there is no standard temp gauge - thinking of fitting an in hose sensor from SVC or similar to keepan eye on it, other than that is frugal but quite fun motoring. We have undersealed the underneath and painted anytjing metal which is exposed, I have seen Fiats before.
I fhe is not inspired have a look on You tube there are some very fast modified examples about

We did investigate Quantums and very nearly bought one - based on Fiesta mostly XR2 with a club bulk insurance scheme getting very low rates but they are a bit flash for a teenager and even though we live in the sticks he felt that the car might get unwanted attention if left in town at night.

Also investigated the curfew GPS box which came out at £30 les than Admiral and if you ever drove between something like midnight and 5 am you had topay them £100 a pop- no allowance for an airport run or delay after a breakdown- no incentive whatsoever a bag of rubbish in fact
hth
Mike
As light at the end of the tunnel daughter aged 23 has just re insured her Jimny after 4 years driving and including £100 worth of breakdown stuff, fully comp, is less than £400 pa and that's group 7 so there is a system, just very expensive to get going.

[Edited on 9/8/11 by trextr7monkey]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Miks15

posted on 9/8/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
motorbike?

I cant really afford to insure a car (well i could but it would wipe out well over a grand a year) but i just renewed at £440 on a 600cc bike

Much funner if a little less practical, plus i can get 50MPG fairly easily from it.
ETA im only 19

[Edited on 9/8/11 by Miks15]

Humbug

posted on 9/8/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
£2000 is about right
...not with insurance, anyway...

Shop around, shop around and shop around again. All the obvious points: smaller engined/cheaper/older car. Assuming that he will be the owner/registered keeper, get someone else on there, possibly more than one other - I thought might be cheaper to have only one parent on there, but it was actually cheaper to have both on. Boys are more expensive to insure than girls - my daughter's now got 2 years' NCB through Admiral's accelerated scheme (1 year NCB in only 10 months). She's now 19 and I have signed up for a multi-car policy which brought down the insurance cost for her S-reg 1.1 Saxo to £400 ish. The bonus for my son is that now he is over 21, I was able to add him to her policy for the remaining 6 months of the policy (he's been away studying) for only £30!

PSpirine

posted on 9/8/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Some insurers will give a half-good classic car policy quote even to new drivers.

Depends what you mean by street cred as to whether a classic car will satisfy it, and how much built in safety/convenience you need in a vehicle.

mrwibble

posted on 9/8/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
mk5 fiesta, pug 106, renault clio, polo?
Ninehigh

posted on 9/8/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
There was mention on one of these threads that some of the reason they charge stupid amounts is because of the record of new drivers on those vehicles. Iirc the person suggested a 1.6 fiesta as opposed to a 1.2

skippad

posted on 9/8/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
£2000 is about right
...not with insurance, anyway...

Shop around, shop around and shop around again. All the obvious points: smaller engined/cheaper/older car. Assuming that he will be the owner/registered keeper, get someone else on there, possibly more than one other - I thought might be cheaper to have only one parent on there, but it was actually cheaper to have both on. Boys are more expensive to insure than girls - my daughter's now got 2 years' NCB through Admiral's accelerated scheme (1 year NCB in only 10 months). She's now 19 and I have signed up for a multi-car policy which brought down the insurance cost for her S-reg 1.1 Saxo to £400 ish. The bonus for my son is that now he is over 21, I was able to add him to her policy for the remaining 6 months of the policy (he's been away studying) for only £30!

Thats a quote on my wifes car (full no claims, been driving over 25yrs) on a 107, 3cyl 995cc, couldnt pull a skin off rice pudding...we did eventually get him on for £1300 at the local Swinton office in town....a special offer apparantly...
Still a stupid price, but gets him on the treadmill....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bowood14

posted on 9/8/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ok found Admiral cheapest picasso hdi £835 with his 22 year old sister as 2nd driver, dont think that is too bad played around a bit Nova £682 Clio 1.4£789 205 Gti £1457 Saxo 1.6 VTR £790 so worth shoppig around with different cars and drivers
eddie99

posted on 9/8/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Shop around, Admiral and the sister companies are 1600 fully comp on an 1999 audi s3 with me (19) main driver and mum and elder brother as named drivers.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
morcus

posted on 10/8/11 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
£2000 seems the region a 20 y/o first car situation.

Insurance calculations seem to be based on some sort of esoteric manner that can't be understood by mere mortals. I'm considering swapping my car and the quotes I've been getting don't seem related to anything. I'm 24 with a couple years driving with no claims or anything and admiral always come up cheapest on older cars and I get a quote from the high 800 to the mid 1200's for pretty much everything, whilst all the other companies quotes are mad. Deffinitly put someone else on the policy, my mum lives the other side of the country and has never driven my car (And she only drove my last car once) yet has been on my policies.

The cheapest quote I've seen recently was for a 1.6 205 auto 3 door which came in at about £500 and I've not had seen anything else quote wise within £200 pounds (Though I've mostly been looking at smaller cars).

If you have the time go on a comparison site and just imput loads of cars. Don't make any assumptions based on insurance groups, engine size or power.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 10/8/11 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Insurance calculations seem to be based on some sort of esoteric manner that can't be understood by mere mortals.

Here's how it's done:
Press the button on the random number generator.
Male? Add more
Under 30? Add more
Under 25? Add more still
What's your job? High paid jobs pay less (changing my job from security to medical doctor took off £50)
Claims? Convictions?
Ok now the car...
Powerful model? Add more
New? Add more, and if it's old add it anyway because you won't care if you crash it.
Lots of security on it? Damn we're going to have to take some off...
Now add the modifier on how stealable/rare it is.

Now take off any no-claims bonus, and a bit more as an introductory bonus.

There you go.

It's got to be a rng, because when I look for quotes I get anything from about £500 to £5000 (seriously some people quote me 5 grand for a 6 year old mondeo)

bowood14

posted on 10/8/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have just spent half hour on the phone but worth it ADMIRAL multi car insurance saved a fortune Picasso 20 year old £835 to £556 my other 21 year old son Xsara Hdi reduced from £950 to £479 my car Astra Sxi Dti down from £351 to £178
Wifes PAssat Tdi £351 to £272
Made up with that worth spending time on the phone nice welsh chap as well!!!

Kwik

posted on 10/8/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
classic mini

can get a decentish one for £1200

insurance for me at 18 in a bad insurance area with no garage, £640

best bit is the car will hold its value and you learn about maintaining a car for very little money...

im on footman james classic car policy, on the site it says over 25 only but give them a ring

James

posted on 12/8/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
For the same reasons that will give a car 'street cred' to a teenager will practically garantee it gets high insurance I'd have thought.

When I think of all the twonks round here in their hairdryer-engined saxos... paying £2500 insurance it beggars belief!

Find a 900cc Fiat Marbella or something (what my ex-boss had after a drink-drive conviction!) and see if that's any better for insurance.

For purely selfish reasons I'm not entirely sure I care if insurance is so much for young people that they can't drive... the roads are packed as it is and the longer it takes people to get on the road, the emptier they stay!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 12/8/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine that a Daewoo Matiz would be quite a low group for a young driver - not noted for power, but will take 4 people with reasonable comfort. Easily get a cheap but good one for under £1,000.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.